Page 1 of 2
Not sure if this is the right place to post.

Basically i'm looking to downtune my Ibanez RGT6EXFX all the way down to Drop A# for a short while to play some brootz Parkway Drive.

I've been using 0.09-0.42 D'addario for quite some time and obviously there's no way that will work for Drop A#

Does anyone have any recommendation on what gauge of strings to use, what brand etc?
Has anyone had experience with downtuning to Drop A# before?

Thanks in advance.
If you're only going to play for a short while I don't see why you would want to go through all the hassle. I'd recommend 7-string sets minus the thinnest string which is something around .013 and .014 translated to 6-string sets. It's possible that your strings won't fit the nut anymore if they're that heavy.

I have a guitar tuned in Drop G# with .011 strings and while they're nothing but spaghetti, I can play djenty stuff with them just all right.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
buy a 7 string for that low..that's ridiculous on a 6 string....
With that said, it really comes down to what feel you like best. I have a friend who likes a reeeally tight feel so he purposefully buys up a size or two, and his strings feel like steel as a result, whereas I prefer a super loose feel, and as a result play 9-42 in drop C...which most people would say is retarded...so it comes down to what feel you like
12's man. If you're going from 9's, it's possible your guitar will need to be re-set up, but if you're gonna be using drop A# a lot, it might be worth it. Or maybe since it will be so de-tuned, it won't affect your neck as much.
0.13-0.65 will do the job fine. I have that set on my guitar and it's in C tuning, sometimes I drop it in A#.
I'd go with at least a Zakk gauge .010-.060
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
They play in B btw, not A#

oh and tuning to drop B is useless, you can either go buy a baritone which is what they use or tune to drop D and get a pitch pedal, put it through the send and return of your amp, and put that on -3 semis
and hope it doesn't tone suck
Last edited by Knucklehead Dyl at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
They play in B btw, not A#

On Deep Blue, they tune down.
A lot of their stuff seems to be in Drop A#. That being said a lot is in Drop B also.

Regardless, drop A# and B# are quite similar so they can be easily changed between. It's not like changing from standard to Drop A#. That would suck.
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
oh and tuning to drop B is useless, you can either go buy a baritone which is what they use or tune to drop D and get a pitch pedal, put it through the send and return of your amp, and put that on -3 semis
and hope it doesn't tone suck

I've never heard of a baritone before, so never seen / used one. Does it give as authentic a sound a splaying in Drop A# and if so, is it worth the money?
get a 7 string and put 9s on it. Drop A# on a 6 string thats not baritone is suicide.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Originally Posted by vayne92
B#

Without a Baritone Guitar, a 6 string isn't really a good choice for Drop A# or whatever it is you crazy kids tune to.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by vayne92
I've never heard of a baritone before, so never seen / used one. Does it give as authentic a sound a splaying in Drop A# and if so, is it worth the money?

basically it's somewhere between a guitar and a bass....
longer necks and different strings for lower tunings and stuff, wikipedia will know more...

I've never really looked into buying them so I can't comment on prices.
0.10 to 0.13, try them and find out which ones suits you the best. I use 0.11's for low tuning and they have the perfect balance between feel and sonic body for my tastes.
I use ernie ball not even slinkys and I can do drop a no problem
LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Marshall JCM 900 Hi Gain
Basson 4x12
Linear Power Booster
NS-2
Tu-2
Dunlop Heavy Core 12's.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by MicahChaney
On Deep Blue, they tune down.

and b is not already tuned down?

super chug super chug super chug.

lol. what bollocks.
Quote by Flibo
If you're only going to play for a short while I don't see why you would want to go through all the hassle. I'd recommend 7-string sets minus the thinnest string which is something around .013 and .014 translated to 6-string sets. It's possible that your strings won't fit the nut anymore if they're that heavy.

I have a guitar tuned in Drop G# with .011 strings and while they're nothing but spaghetti, I can play djenty stuff with them just all right.

WTF
dont listen to the guys saying to get a baritone guitar u dont need it.
dean markley jazz strings with wound third.
dont exactly remember the gauge i think its 13 through 56 or 65 (its been a while since my brootal metal days) haha
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Quote by CodeMonk
Drop A#?
Whats next?
Obliviously Drop A

But where does it end?
Time to fire your bassist I guess.

My H-51 is in drop A with 14's.

Which is why my bassist uses a 5 string, Also in drop A
One octave down thogh

EDIT: And a baritone guitar really isnt needed, but there are caveats.

For one, using strings as thick as 14's, your action will never be as low as say a baritone with 11's. The thicker strings vibrate in a wider arc, so they need to be higher up. And the thicker your strings, the looser your bass gets. Overdo it, your tone will get extremely bassy. Part of a bass guitars tone comes from a) uber long scale and b) uber thick strings. Remember, the thicker the guage the bassier your tone.
Also, you need to make sure your pickups and body wood are suited to the tuning. Amp as well. Patches which I make foe my MH (E standard) sound like arse with the H. I like a fairly dark tone, and tones which are already dark in E turn to mud with drop A. And patches which sound good in drop A sound horribly tinny and sharp in E.
You might also need nut filing and truss rod adjustment. 14's in drop A would be about as tense as 10's or 9's in E standard.

In short, baritone is not necessary (though it makes things easier). I would still avoid going below C standard unless your scale was at least 25.5''.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 13, 2011,
Parkway doesn't use baritone guitars. They use the same ltd ec-1000,mh-1000,h-1000s as every other metalcore band nowadays.

Just slap some 12's on there and get your guitar set up. you'll be fine.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by CodeMonk
Drop A#?
Whats next?
Obliviously Drop A

Did you mean "Obviously" ?

As for TS, if you only plan on being there for a bit, get some of these but good luck trying to get that back up to E standard. If you want something to stay that low, get a baritone or go for a 7 string
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
12-56 should be enough, I use them anyway...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
why don't we all do drop e that way we can fire the damn bassist and chug like the best of them. after all, everyone will sound just as shitty so it will be easier to have a good metal band right? causee shit sound is what metal is today. chugy chug chug.
oh wait, is that soo bassy that you could mistake it for a bass guitar? yeah pretty much.

the only thing that doesn't sound like a bass guitar, is when he plays past the 12th fret. so yeah, i think my statement still stands

its the internet kid, stop being butthurt.

edit: but then again. his other 6 strings are tuned to standard, so thats a horrible example.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
oh wait, is that soo bassy that you could mistake it for a bass guitar? yeah pretty much.

the only thing that doesn't sound like a bass guitar, is when he plays bass the 12th fret. so yeah, i think my statement still stands

what
Get some 12's or 13's and make sure you reintonate. You can get away with tunning that low, but it's not going to have great tone.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
13-56 bare min.

for some nice girth to it, 13-62 wound G = teh sex.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
It depends entirely on what you already use. For example, I prefer .11s in E standard, so I would use obnoxiously heavy gauge strings for Drop Bb. If you play .09s or .10s, a .13 or .14 set should be fine, though on a shorter scale length they will sound really flubby.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by GibsonMan321
I'd go with at least a Zakk gauge .010-.060

that would work or them DR DDT strings which are badass. get the i think its the mege heavy.
smokin a few joints!
drinkin a few minotaurs!,
Rockin!
Quote by Kamikaze1014
You said drop E I don't know of any bands that use drop E on 6/7 strings. So naturally, that was the best example.

that was an example to showcase the fact that drop tuning to get teh brootz is stupid.
Quote by 00_hns_00

the only thing that doesn't sound like a bass guitar, is when he plays past the 12th fret. so yeah, i think my statement still stands

edit: but then again. his other 6 strings are tuned to standard, so thats a horrible example.

Real guitarists play with the bass all the way up all the time in standard and manage to sound like a bass guitar, that's the way ahead.
So much ****ing misinformation in this thread.

7-strings: You don't need one if you don't need the extra range.
Baritones: I've had a King V with a 24.75" in Drop A with 13s and I've been absolutely ****ing fine
Today's metal: Is not just mindless chugging in Drop A.

Basically, get a set of 13s or 12 - 56, file your nut if you need to, put strings on, tune, play your ****ing guitar.

Job ****ing done.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

i play in drop A on a 24 3/4 scale esp with daddario's, i order a set of 10's, throw out the 10, and get a single 70, ending up with 13-70, but daddario also makes a set that is 13-62 and will work on a 25.5 scale wellfor A or A#.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Real guitarists play with the bass all the way up all the time in standard and manage to sound like a bass guitar, that's the way ahead.

flubbity flub flubby flub.

thats the shit sound kids have these days.

omgzorz, i have teh shectorz and meh line6 spider on teh insanez channel. brootz tone yo. oh wait, teh slipknots uses drop a#???? omgzorz, i need to mimmick a shit band.

-pissed off shitty drunk fat ***** sound repeated for about 8 minutes straight-.

like, omg. it sounds totally like teh slipknots.
Page 1 of 2