Page 1 of 3
A Berkshire man has been jailed for posting abusive messages online about a schoolgirl after she committed suicide.

Sean Duffy, 25, of Reading, was handed an 18-week sentence for posts on social networking sites about Worcester teenager Natasha MacBryde.

He previously pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates' Court to sending indecent or offensive communications.

Police said Duffy also posted abuse about dead teenagers in Northumberland, Gloucestershire and Staffordshire.

Duffy admitted two counts of sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature. The charges related to Facebook and YouTube posts about Miss MacBryde, 15, who Duffy had never met.

She had thrown herself under a train in February after being bullied.

Duffy subsequently posted messages on a remembrance page set up by Miss MacBryde's friends.

In one of the posts he called the teenager a slut. He also posted a video on YouTube, entitled Tasha the Tank Engine, showing the children's character Thomas the Tank Engine with Miss MacBryde's face.

The magistrates were also asked to consider three other cases when sentencing Duffy.

He had also posted offensive messages, known as "trolling", about Lauren Drew, 14, of Gloucestershire, who was found dead after suffering a suspected epileptic seizure, Hayley Bates, 16, of Staffordshire, who died in a car crash, and Jordan Cooper, 14, who was stabbed to death in Northumberland.

Magistrates also gave Duffy an Asbo, banning him from using social networking sites for five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14894576

I should probably be doing something else than posting BBC articles but god damn... this guy is a douche. Not sure I agree with him being jailed, though, but being that much of a dick to others should give you some sort of punishment.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 13, 2011,

The internet troll personified.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
It's alright, you're just making everyone think BBC News is the best news.

edit: I remember people initially thought the thomas the tank engine thing was done by local kids her age. I kinda feel the sentence was justified on the basis that he didn't even know her. Though it's a bit of a grey area for people being actually punished for what's said online, outside of sustained harassment of course. I suppose it'll become more of an issue these days.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
That's freedom of speech for you.

Also,

being bullied= rape??
Last edited by Zeletros at Sep 13, 2011,
I have issues with the guy being arrested and jailed for being an asshole. I'm not sure I like that particular precedent. I would be ok with him getting his ass kicked though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
ehn after the riots it seems you can be jailed for anything in GB
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
18 weeks is a bit overkill for being a knob though, seeing as proper harassment cases don't get more than court orders. I guess 'cause there is actual proof, this case is different.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Jackal58
I have issues with the guy being arrested and jailed for being an asshole. I'm not sure I like that particular precedent. I would be ok with him getting his ass kicked though.

Definitely this. The guy was a douche, but seriously? Jailed for it? That's a little thought-police-y if you ask me.
Quote by theguitarist
18 weeks is a bit overkill for being a knob though.

Living in Berkshire should be punishment enough.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jackal58

This.
(At least in 'Murica) he has the right to be an asshole. But that also includes the right for others to **** his shit up.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by Jackal58

This. If being an asshole becomes widely outlawed, I (along with half of the Internet) would be looking at life without parole.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
This. If being an asshole becomes widely outlawed, I (along with half of the Internet) would be looking at life without parole.

Don't be so modest. I'd say at least 80%.
Banned from social network sites for 5 years? Police be thinking outside the box fo' sho'...
an 18 weeks sentence will boil down to someone giving him a sharp talking to. While he wears ear defenders.

and the banning from social networks will probably only end up applying to myspace, on a computer in a library, in a town he doesn't live in.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

perhaps she broke his heart, man
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Ah, and I thought UK didn't suck ass.

I'm not rooting for that guy, but you should have a right to express your opinion, no matter how biased, stupid, ignorant, insulting, provocative it is.
How do they stop someone from using social networking?

Also it's stupid that he gets jailed. The internet is the internet
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
He's a scumbag, but they should pass a law where people are allowed to kick the shit out of him for a few days or something. But not so he's crippled or anything. Then again, maybe it's a good thing I don't run the country.
Quote by Zeletros
Ah, and I thought UK didn't suck ass.

I'm not rooting for that guy, but you should have a right to express your opinion, no matter how biased, stupid, ignorant, insulting, provocative it is.

Im certain Estonia suck a lot more.

Good to see some internet nob finally get what they deserve. Hope he get raped in jail and his mum gets cancer.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Was it just me, or was anyone else expecting a Berkshire Hathaway employee to have done the deed before opening the thread? lol
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
"I sentence you to 18 weeks in prison for being a cunt."

Looks like the world is finally making some progress in the justice system.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Also... he was probably arrested for posting pictures of the girls without permission, or slander.
Check out my fitness blog here
i think both imprisoning him and 'beating him up' are terrible ideas. i'm quite ashamed at how many people actually root for beating somebody up for expressing an opinion, no matter how terrible it is, just so they can feel better and act as if there's suddenly balance in the world now that you've beaten him up. it's pathetic.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
i think both imprisoning him and 'beating him up' are terrible ideas. i'm quite ashamed at how many people actually root for beating somebody up for expressing an opinion, no matter how terrible it is, just so they can feel better and act as if there's suddenly balance in the world now that you've beaten him up. it's pathetic.

Let's also add into the mix that he suffers from aspergers syndrome and has alcohol abuse problems. Congratulations people, you want to beat up a drunk with a mental disability because he's a dick.
Unlike most people here, I think he does deserve jail time. It's harassment plain and simple, and they've got every right to press charges against him (since he posted that on a memorial site the family had set up). I don't know what the punishment is for harassment, but he definitely deserves it.
Quote by JackalUK
Let's also add into the mix that he suffers from aspergers syndrome and has alcohol abuse problems. Congratulations people, you want to beat up a drunk with a mental disability because he's a dick.

Sounds a laugh, id be game for that.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Quote by Jackal58

this
Guy is an asshole, he shouldn't have to face jail time though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Page 1 of 3