Hey!

Here's the deal, I fulfilled a contract for a company and they were so pleased they gave me a bonus in one of their partner companies: Thomann.

I can now pick up a SG standard or SG special as a gift from them, which do I go for?

Personally I like the special but it comes with a gigbag while the standard comes with a hardcase (worth 155Euros) which makes the pricing pretty much the same.

Am also thinking if I need to sell it in future which would would be easier for someone to take off my hands.

What do you guys think?

(I wish they had offered me a LP standard GoldTop in which case I wouldnt have to make this decision but since that is more expensive than making death threats against politicians I'm gonna settle for one of these. )

Cheers!
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
If it's free, I'd go for the standard I guess...
I personally chose my special over two standards in the shop, but it was an amazing guitar and the neck felt perfect to me. However, I doubt every special is like that, so if I had to choose without trying them, I'd get a standard.
However, if you can play them, try both, so that you know whether you like an unfinished guitar better or not.
When I tried the two in a shop in Stockholm... it felt crazy, I had the standard in my hand which was a few thousand krona more and then the Special that was "cheaper", but I still liked the feel of the Special.

We are somehow conditioned to think "expensive = better" so I was a bit confused inside as to why I liked the feel of the special more, but the looks of the std more...
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
go for the standard

I like the quick vote
but mind giving me an insight as to why you chose to vote that way?
Spec-wise they should be the same. The Standard has trapezoid inlays, neck binding, chrome covers on the pickups and the finish buffed up glossy but none of that effects how it sounds or plays. In fact most people would find the matte finish of the Special easier to play on. The Standard will be keep its resale value better though. So if you're pretty sure you'll end up selling it on, get the Standard. If you want the most practical and playable guitar then the Special is a safer bet.
Thanks guys!

Anyone else want to chip in please feel free to do so anytime in the next 3 days (will be ordering on Friday)

Cheers!
If you can pick up a Standard for free and like it, get that one (I mean, why NOT get the more expensive one if you can :P: ).
I'd go for a Special Faded, that's just me though.
I personally never played a bad one (just heard some people complaining about them) and really love how the satin finish feels compared to the gloss finish on the Standard and normal Special.
Standard. Even though i have the Special haha
Last edited by RiseTheFallen at Sep 13, 2011,
The special's bridge pickup is worse than the standard. Note that no matter which one you get however, both pickup pairs are bad. I replaced mine last month on my special.
As for the rest... The uncovered pups look bad IMO, and I don't like the dot inlays. I'd also like a binding. However, I like the satin body and neck better than gloss.
Thanks again!

Been browsing the site and also came across this,

http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_lp_studio_60s_tribute_wgt.htm

looks really good and always wanted a goldtop but dont think i will ever be able to afford a LP Standard GP

Your thoughts? Still go for the SG or...?
Just to be clear is this Gibson or Epiphone you're talking about? Best show us the links of the guitars on the website.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I would take the standard. never played a special i was happy with. I loved the two or three standards i got to play though. Just had a much nicer feel to me. Obviously it will be different from each guitar you try but if you find a nice standard. take it
Quote by hminh87
Just to be clear is this Gibson or Epiphone you're talking about? Best show us the links of the guitars on the website.

Gah!
No Epiphones, TYVM!

The website is Thomann.de, they have many country specific versions of the site.
http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_sgstd.htm
http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_sgspecialfaded_wc.htm
http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_sgspecialwr.htm

All three...

Quote by shecter guy
but if you find a nice standard. take it

Cant really "try" them as its an online shop...

The only times I tried an SG was in a B&M store, really liked it... the high access to the frets was very very nice!
In reply to your question, I also own a Gibson Tribute 60s goldtop LP, and I love it very much. It feels great, sounds amazing, looks good, it's pretty much the best guitar I've played in the price range, in terms of sound and feel. As long as you don't use too much distortion, you'll be ok
between a standard and a special i'd go for the standard. the standards generally have one-piece bodies whereas the specials are usually made of 2-3 pieces. it's not a massive difference but generally fewer pieces will give you better resonant qualities.

you can't really compare an SG to a les paul, especially not an SG with humbuckers and a les paul with P90s. they are completely different and it's entirely a matter of preference as to which you like better.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks guys!

Its a bit strange, I love the look of a LP but when I tried a few in the shop it just didnt "sit right".
This thick block of wood with kind of hard to play upper frets felt strange, but as I put it back on the rack it again looked so damn good! ;(
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Same here, I really like the looks of LP's but can't stand the way they feel.

Ha! So I am not the only one!!

I blame Slash... seeing a sweet LP always reminds me of him, hung low, lovely tone, not giving a flying f**k about the world and cooler than n'sync being stoned by an angry mob!
If the standard is more expensive than the special, I would personally choose the standard. Simply because you pay for quality, and the more you pay, the better quality in most cases. Also it comes with a hard case, and often they sell more easy with a hardcase I find.
Gear:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Squier Affinity Telecaster
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Vox AD50VT 212
& New MXR Distortion+