so i'm going to change my strings myself (i've never done it before). I've got an epi les paul and I play mostly rythem, lots of chords and indie kind of music. What shall I buy? Gauge etc. It's so confusing.
have you ever changed strings before on this guitar? I mean are they the stock strings? If so 10's are probably your best bet. Look up youtube videos on how to do it, I'm sure you'll find them. Just makes sure you are patient and make it so all the strings tune up in the same direction

As for brand, it's really up to you
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I like D'Addario 10's.... but there are a lot of strings I haven't tried. Try some and develop your own opinion.
Ernie Ball's are my personal favorite. I like the Super Slinky's (the Pink package) but you may like the Regular Slinky's (Yellow package) better. They're a little heavier gauge. 10's as opposed to 9's. Changing strings is a pain the first few times but you'll get better the more times you do it. I kind of enjoy it now as it gives the guitar a great feel and sound. Don't be afraid to try new ones either. It's like a $5 investment and if you hate it, it's not a big deal to change. It's one of the easier components of guitar modification to play around with. Good luck!
Quote by SWilson
Try some and develop your own opinion.

This.
I've been playing for 6 years, and I'm STILL experimenting with different string types. Just buy a plethora and each time you restring, try a different type. Just keep track of what you like/hate about each type.
I've got my Strat set up with Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinkies but for a guitar where you're replacing stock strings I'd get .10s.
Quote by hellybelly
so i'm going to change my strings myself (i've never done it before). I've got an epi les paul and I play mostly rythem, lots of chords and indie kind of music. What shall I buy? Gauge etc. It's so confusing.

especially your first couple of times, you're going to want to swap one string at a time.

please do not take all the strings off at once, until you are more familiar with
setting up the guitar.

for more information, also check out the how to string and set up guide at the top of the page.

first post explains.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Get a string winder too. There inexpensive and make the job MUCH easier. I always take all the strings off too and clean the crud from the frets. NO, it doesn't hurt truss rod adjustment or the neck for the 20 or so minutes the guitar is without strings.
I've always used D'Addario 10's, ever since I first learned how to change strings.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...