Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, finally narrowed down which brand of guitar I want, and I want a Schecter. I just can't decide which model would be best for me so maybe some advice could help me fuel my decision.

I play metal, hard rock and the like. Think Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Alter Bridge.
Budget: Don't have it yet, but willing to save up to about £1200? Maybe more if it's worth it.
New or used: Either, as long as they're in good condition.
For home practice i have a Line 6 combo, but for live & band rehearsal I play through a Marshall TSL.

I'm lead & rhythm, as we share roles.

I want a whammy/tremolo bar. I've seen the kind of stuff Syn Gates does with his and it I think it's great so I'd like to get me one of them, so hopefully something that stays in tune.
It may be worth saying that if you are willing to spend that amount of money on a Schecter then it may be worth looking at a ESP.

However, if you really want a Schecter you just need to decide if you prefer EMG or Seymour Duncan pickups (Unless you plan on swapping them out). The shape of the guitar and if you want 6 or 7 string.

Basically apart from that you can have whichever model you want. Once you can answer those three questions a single guitar should arise.

Oh and by the way if you get the chance play one first, the necks are a real love or hate thing
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by AJScott
Hey guys, finally narrowed down which brand of guitar I want, and I want a Schecter. I just can't decide which model would be best for me so maybe some advice could help me fuel my decision.

I play metal, hard rock and the like. Think Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Alter Bridge.
Budget: Don't have it yet, but willing to save up to about £1200? Maybe more if it's worth it.
New or used: Either, as long as they're in good condition.
For home practice i have a Line 6 combo, but for live & band rehearsal I play through a Marshall TSL.

I'm lead & rhythm, as we share roles.

I want a whammy/tremolo bar. I've seen the kind of stuff Syn Gates does with his and it I think it's great so I'd like to get me one of them, so hopefully something that stays in tune.

1. Why? This is not synical, just an honest question
2. If you want to spend 1200 quid, I wouldn't even show the SLIGHTEST interest in Schecter guitars. For that money, you can find way better (ESP, Ibanez Prestige, Ibanez J-Custom used, Jackson MIJ, or even Jackson USA used).
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 13, 2011,
All those bands you mentioned use multiple tunings....
With a Trem, it will be a bitch to change tunings constantly...

(And Synster Gates uses a Sustainer for most of his soloing, just for the record...)
Quote by LP_CL
1. Why? This is not synical, just an honest question
2. If you want to spend 1200 quid, I wouldn't even show the SLIGHTEST interest in Schecter guitars. For that money, you can find way better (ESP, Ibanez Prestige, Ibanez J-Custom used, Jackson MIJ, or even Jackson USA used).

This
Jackson Randy Rhoads or maybe even a preowned Ibanez JEM, id say ! Failing that, EVH Wolfgang Special... great guitar, but no active pickups so not sure how you'd feel about it.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Ibanez J Custom
ESP Standard
Jackson USA
Gibson USA
Washburn
Charvel
Fender
Parker
Schecter MIJ

All available with £1200 and a bit of patience.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I went for Schecter cause I heard some good reviews, I've been put off a couple of Ibanez's cause I didn't quite like the feel of em but that was a while.

And £1200 cause it's just a good amount of money I can save up

Edit: I'm not bothered about active or passive pups I have no preference, as long as the tones good I'm happy!
Last edited by AJScott at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
Even as a Schecter player, I have to agree, if you're spending that much money you'd be much better off buying a Jackson or something.

If you're hell-bent on getting a Schecter, though, do NOT get the Synyster signature model.

What's wrong with the syns signature model?
Quote by jetfuel495
Objectively: There's equal quality, and even better quality, Schecter guitars for less money.

Subjectively: It's ugly.

I mean, it's worth it if you're a big A7X fan, but otherwise, I can't see the appeal.

Aye, i'm not too keen on the shape of his signature model. But i've seen versions where it's white instead of black and I really liked that as opposed to the black one, I didn't like the shape at first but it's grown on me.
try http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Blackjack-ATX-C-1-FR.aspx

the seymour duncan active pickups are really nice, i prefer them to EMGs anyday. i have the hardtail version of this though, so i cant comment on if the floyd rose is a good one or not. I paid around £700 for mine, and if it had a ibanez or esp badge on it, i reckon it would have been a £1000-£1500 guitar.

however you should defiantly try it out before you buy it
Quote by jetfuel495
The necks are my biggest complaint about Schecter. I went from playing Jackson to Schecter and the neck felt like a baseball bat.

I mean, I got used to it, but the first few weeks felt weird.

I feel I'm the only person who finds Schecter necks to be not baseball bats Gibsons have more of a baseball bat, and Ibanez's are just 2x4's with slightly rounded edges.

Eh, to each his own however. I think the neck on my blackjack is the best neck I've ever played on hundreds of guitars, for 5 times the money as well. Maybe its just special :P
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
To be fair, it was just the Schecter I owned. I've played their "Hellraiser" model, which had a MUCH slimmer neck than the Blackjack I owned. The newer Blackjacks also seem to be slimmed down.
Quote by danage
try http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Blackjack-ATX-C-1-FR.aspx

the seymour duncan active pickups are really nice, i prefer them to EMGs anyday. i have the hardtail version of this though, so i cant comment on if the floyd rose is a good one or not. I paid around £700 for mine, and if it had a ibanez or esp badge on it, i reckon it would have been a £1000-£1500 guitar.

Keep telling that yourself, but it's a lie.
In fact, Schecter and LTD are owned by the same owner, and made in the same factories. A Schecter is comparable to an LTD of the same price range, but never comparable to an actual ESP.
A £700 Schecter will be the same build quality as an LTD 400 or 401 series, which is... 650-700£, depending on the finish.

If you want ESP quality on a schecter, you'll have to go for a Japanese Schecter
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
of my experience with schecter fr guitars, Id say dont get one. People are going to hate me lol. They dont have good sustain at all. Id say try an ltd ec 1000fr or an ibanez(they resonate surprisingly well).
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by danage

Of course it would.

It would be hand finished/built in Japan by highly skilled craftsmen and would be a guitar that would last a lifetime and would maintain its value.

Your Schecter isnt as well built or of as high quality. As for maintaining value? It wont.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Of course it would.

It would be hand finished/built in Japan by highly skilled craftsmen and would be a guitar that would last a lifetime and would maintain its value.

Your Schecter isnt as well built or of as high quality. As for maintaining value? It wont.

There isn't anything that says that will be true, as far as we know the Hellraisers and Blackjacks will be regarded as some of the best schecters ever built, and if they become a prestigious household name, their value will increase. Just like every guitar company ever.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
There isn't anything that says that will be true, as far as we know the Hellraisers and Blackjacks will be regarded as some of the best schecters ever built, and if they become a prestigious household name, their value will increase. Just like every guitar company ever.

Apart from the fact they sell for **** all 2nd hand? They are just cheap guitars that use lots of bling and branded hardware to give the impression of being more "high end" than they really are.

I know your joking, but for those that dont know, these are the proper Schecters.

Sorry bro, but if any Schecter will get that sort of legacy its these ones, you know the hand built top spec Japanese ones, not these ones:

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

The mid range, machine built Korean ones. I mean.... Come on.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 13, 2011,
With £1200, you could probably buy something better than a Schecter. I would go for a Jackson (or Ibanez, as they're my favorite ) if I had that much.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I also would like to point out the following...

MIK by machine. EMGs, but poor FR trem, grovers, generally naff quality tone woods, massively thick cheap poly gloss. Thick neck, only get rosewood. Fake "thru" neck join. Just genrally meh.

£850

MIA with EMGs, Sperzels, great neck and fret work. Can get one with ebony board if you want. Nitro finish and just generally awesome qualit.

£780ish.

Mad.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
My head's exploding from all the awesome pics that Mr. Tom just posted.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Tom 1.0
I also would like to point out the following...

MIK by machine. EMGs, but poor FR trem, grovers, generally naff quality tone woods, massively thick cheap poly gloss. Thick neck, only get rosewood. Fake "thru" neck join. Just genrally meh.

£850

MIA with EMGs, Sperzels, great neck and fret work. Can get one with ebony board if you want. Nitro finish and just generally awesome qualit.

£780ish.

Mad.

dude I actually thought you knew what you said on these forums, but all youre saying here is bullshit. Just because a guitar isnt handmade doesnt mean it sucks. It has an frt bridge which is just as good as a schaller OFR, truth. It has a set neck with a contour, nowhere does it say its a neck thru. Fenders have thicker necks. You dont get variety with a mass produced model. Who gives a F*** if it has a glossy finish, thats just howthe grand majority of guitars are. the grovers are great, smooth, and precise and stays in tune. Stop talking crap, and give valid, not so crappily biased advice.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
All I am saying is look at the cost.

You think its worth spending £850 on a MIK guitar. Considering I have played both for quite a considerable amount of time, I think my opinion is valid.

The fact that Fender is based on a Charvel San Dimas neck, its the same as the Jackson necks and is thinner to play than the Schecter ones.

The schecter neck is the same construction as the LTD Set-Thru construction, which to me is like Blackstar calling the HT5 all tube.

I fail to see how you honestly believe that the Schecter can justify the cost. Its a £500 guitar at the very most and no where near as good quality as pretty much any other guitar I could find TS for £1200 new or 2nd hand.....

Also

You dont get variety with a mass produced model.

Lol wut?

go play 2 epiphone LPs, one of the most produced guitars out there. Tell me they are identical after that.

The most consistent guitars I have ever played have been higher quality, hand finished and inspected guitars.

The most inconsistent ones are the mass produced, hastily made and built to profit guitars out there.

Like Schecter and LTD.

I love LTD and have owned many.

Where is the bullshit and bias? I know what I am talking about and I am trying to save TS money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mister A.J.
My head's exploding from all the awesome pics that Mr. Tom just posted.

All those guitars look so damn nice.... accept for the logo they put on the headstock... why?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
All those guitars look so damn nice.... accept for the logo they put on the headstock... why?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Sinister Waffle
I feel I'm the only person who finds Schecter necks to be not baseball bats Gibsons have more of a baseball bat, and Ibanez's are just 2x4's with slightly rounded edges.

Eh, to each his own however. I think the neck on my blackjack is the best neck I've ever played on hundreds of guitars, for 5 times the money as well. Maybe its just special :P

Well, to be fair, I have a bolt-on neck, so it is a lot thicker
Quote by Tom 1.0
Apart from the fact they sell for **** all 2nd hand? They are just cheap guitars that use lots of bling and branded hardware to give the impression of being more "high end" than they really are.

I know your joking, but for those that dont know, these are the proper Schecters.

Sorry bro, but if any Schecter will get that sort of legacy its these ones, you know the hand built top spec Japanese ones, not these ones:

The mid range, machine built Korean ones. I mean.... Come on.

I wasn't Completely joking Many guitars when new were regarded as just Meh, then as the company progressed were realized that they were much better than the newer models.

I mean I love my Blackjack, as it was the only guitar that fit I wanted, Ebony board no markers, blackouts, and Les paul shaped. Its one of the better guitars I've played, and it's held its weight against more expensive guitars. However I have also played some schecters that are shit, I can't stand hellraisers its the finish mostly, but they felt cheap.

I probably just lucked out and got a very good model, I can't complain honestly. I also Live in the US, so I don't have the They're over priced Thought. That fender you linked is a good 700 more than my guitar

I would Love to get my hands on a MIJ schecter, but I can never find one here, and they're way out of my price range... some day however. I wish they weren't all superstrats though with different finishes basically.
You belong in a museum.

Quote by bustapr
dude I actually thought you knew what you said on these forums

He does.
Quote by bustapr
but all youre saying here is bullshit. Just because a guitar isnt handmade doesnt mean it sucks.

He never said that.
Quote by bustapr
It has an frt bridge which is just as good as a schaller OFR, truth.

No, just no. The FRT is better than most cheap LFRs, but it is definitely not up to the quality of an OFR or Schaller FR.
Quote by bustapr
It has a set neck with a contour, nowhere does it say its a neck thru. Fenders have thicker necks. You dont get variety with a mass produced model.

If you'd actually played a Jim Root Strat, you'd know the neck is not as thick as a Hellraiser. The Hellraiser necks aren't only thick, they have an uncomfortable profile too (IMO)
Quote by bustapr
Who gives a F*** if it has a glossy finish, thats just howthe grand majority of guitars are. the grovers are great, smooth, and precise and stays in tune.

The glossy finish isn't the problem, its the particular finish of that gloss. Its not smooth on the hand, sliding up and down the neck it gives a lot of friction. Good gloss finishes are shiny and smooth, not tacky
Quote by bustapr
Stop talking crap, and give valid, not so crappily biased advice.

Yeah, stop listening to the guy giving good, unbiased advice, and listen to the Schecter fanbois
^No-one is saying they're bad guitars, they aren't. But like you said, with TS's budget, he can do a lot better.
Quote by bustapr
dude I actually thought you knew what you said on these forums, but all youre saying here is bullshit. Just because a guitar isnt handmade doesnt mean it sucks. It has an frt bridge which is just as good as a schaller OFR, truth. It has a set neck with a contour, nowhere does it say its a neck thru. Fenders have thicker necks. You dont get variety with a mass produced model. Who gives a F*** if it has a glossy finish, thats just howthe grand majority of guitars are. the grovers are great, smooth, and precise and stays in tune. Stop talking crap, and give valid, not so crappily biased advice.

No, but it does mean that it's less expensive to produce than a fully handmade one. Schecter is just charging alot (and so is LTD) for 'just' MIK machine made guitars. THAT is the point.
How can you say that if the FRT is only being around for what? Like 5 years or so? How can you test durability of the trem if it's just that long on the market, and how can you even compare it to a floyd that will keep tuning for over 30 years if you set it up and maintain correctly? So, no, NOT truth
Read Tom's response on that one. Mass production means jack shit to consistency.
I do care alot about the sort of finish and the thickness of it: The feel is influenced INCREADIBLY by it, certainly when you're sweating. Cheap finish that was brought on to the guitar hastely, will get way more sticky than decent finish that was done with alot of care and patience. The thickness of the finish has also a big influence on the resonance of the guitar. The thicker, the less resonance, the less your guitar feels like an instrument, the more it feels like a dead toy in your hands.
They are. I agree, but they are only great compared to other tuners of guitars in the 'cheap' range. Compare it to Sperzels or Gotoh's and you'll see what we mean. Even smoother, even better holding tune, locking options, etc.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Tom 1.0

You think its worth spending £850 on a MIK guitar.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind spending that much for an MIK guitar if it was good. I'm gonna guess that there's skilled luthiers who make fantastic guitars in Korea, it just happens that Korean guitars you'll find in stores in the States and Europe are the ones that are supposed to generate lots of profit before anything else.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Its a £500 guitar at the very most...

This is pretty much what this comes down to.
The guitar store a couple of kilometres from my place has a nice little selection of Schecters. There's some for 350€-400€ that can stand up to anything else in their price range. I enjoyed those. The crazy thing is the ones priced around 1k€ are hardly better - the pups and hardware are nicer, but that hardly justifies that much of a difference in price. Neither does a flame top (or is it a veneer? Not sure on this), or that awful abalone binding they often have. And I have not run into a Schecter so far that didn't sound absolutely dead.

Compared to that, a basic MIJ Ibanez is around 800€ here (200€ less than the Schecter - that's a new set of pups!) and will wipe the floor with any MIK Schecter I have played, and so I assume, ever will play.
Quote by LP_CL
No, but it does mean that it's less expensive to produce than a fully handmade one. Schecter is just charging alot (and so is LTD) for 'just' MIK machine made guitars. THAT is the point.
How can you say that if the FRT is only being around for what? Like 5 years or so? How can you test durability of the trem if it's just that long on the market, and how can you even compare it to a floyd that will keep tuning for over 30 years if you set it up and maintain correctly? So, no, NOT truth
Read Tom's response on that one. Mass production means jack shit to consistency.
I do care alot about the sort of finish and the thickness of it: The feel is influenced INCREADIBLY by it, certainly when you're sweating. Cheap finish that was brought on to the guitar hastely, will get way more sticky than decent finish that was done with alot of care and patience. The thickness of the finish has also a big influence on the resonance of the guitar. The thicker, the less resonance, the less your guitar feels like an instrument, the more it feels like a dead toy in your hands.
They are. I agree, but they are only great compared to other tuners of guitars in the 'cheap' range. Compare it to Sperzels or Gotoh's and you'll see what we mean. Even smoother, even better holding tune, locking options, etc.

well yeah I see that I was a bit rantish in my comment. but about the frt, it is basically the exact same thing as a schaller OFR except that its made in Korea. It has a few parts that are less pretty but nothing that would affect the durability or playability of the instrument. And its made of the same parts and materials. So I believe that if its an exact same replica that is well built, it will last just as long as a OFR. My experience with an frt is good. I didnt really know that paint thickness affected resonance, guess thats why the sustain on my schecter sucks to hell. Also once you get used to the painted neck, it stops feeling sticky somehow.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by bustapr
Also once you get used to the painted neck, it stops feeling sticky somehow.

I have the impression that necks just get worn in after some time, at least that's what I figure from the various cheapo-guitars that my friends and I have accumulated over the years.
Page 1 of 2