can it get close? im debating a new guitar and want the SSS look, but need some distoration for likes of guns n roses, acdc and most rock bands, play the odd green day but im way past the powerchord shit
Quote by direstraits80
can it get close? im debating a new guitar and want the SSS look, but need some distoration for likes of guns n roses, acdc and most rock bands, play the odd green day but im way past the powerchord shit

it wont get close, all you will have is a heavily distorted single coil, far too trebly and no strong sustain, buy a single coil sized humbucker and stick it in the bridge, it will keep the look and give you the sound you want
You don't need humbuckers for distortion. My stock single coils distort just as well as my humbucker. It takes more for them to distort, because they're lower output, but that's just because the humbucker is a bridge pickup and was designed that way.

But if you want a humbucker with the SSS look, you could always get a single coil sixe humbucker.
You can get a distorted tone with a SSS guitar, and you can get a clean tone with a HSS. Some people insist that anything heavier than Beethoven's Ode To Joy requires a humbucker, but really it's just a different tone, my friend has played thrash metal with a Telecaster and I've done some 80s hard rock-type stuff with a SSS Strat. A DS-2 with a SSS guitar should be just fine for normal rock, I prefer HSS because I mostly play high-gain stuff, but straight-up rock? Take your pick, man.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
i would go for a MIM Fat Strat straight away, its just sometimes, like playing dire straits, the bridge pickup is needed
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
nope, doesnt really work like that

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
it wont get close, all you will have is a heavily distorted single coil, far too trebly and no strong sustain, buy a single coil sized humbucker and stick it in the bridge, it will keep the look and give you the sound you want

this is pretty inaccurate. no it won't sound like a humbucker but to say it will be to trebley and lack sustain is wrong. you certainly can cut back on the treble on your amp and on the pedal for that matter. lacking sustain, hmm.. pretty sure that Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore and Uli Roth (plus a host of others ) would disagree.

agree that a stacked coil pup or the single coil sized humbucker would be a possibility. you can also try Lace Sensors (the red)which have higher output but still retain many of the good strat characteristics. (see The Land Unknown in my profile)

OP bear in mind that even with a humbucker a strat isn't going to be able to really duplicate a Les Paul (oer SG) sound. it will get you closer than a single coil could but don't expect it to nail it at all.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Sep 13, 2011,