Page 1 of 3
I'm a senior in highschool, and I have classes with seniors, and they still don't know how to read words with more than 2 syllables. And they can't spell worth a shit either. Does anyone else have experience with this? I always found it easy to spell and read (maybe it's because I spent a lot of time on the internet), but other people seem to have difficulty with it.

This girl in my English 4 class today was reading something for vocabulary, and she couldn't read the word "Deniable" (no, that wasn't the vocabulary word). And another person thought a Con-Artist was a convict.

idk, maybe this is a blog, I can't tell. I'm still asking if other people have experience with this or if it's just dat Louisiana edumacation.

Also, every time someone has to read something to the class, and they come across a slightly long word, they just try to say it, but they say it really slow and they sound like they're mispronouncing it on purpose to look cool I guess. Like, I'm talking any word longer than Giraffe.
Last edited by ChadLikesGuitar at Sep 13, 2011,
Nope, it's quite common here in England. Chavs and dyslexics. I still know people who say aMiNals and pronounce 'know' as now...
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Dyslexia?
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Learning disabilities, non-interest in reading, and/or general apathy.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You have to want to learn in order to learn.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by RPGoof
Because their are alot of stupid people, in the world. Not just Americans,

I want to believe you're trolling.

Because they're stupid in the head.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by RPGoof

0/10
Quote by RPGoof
You missed all the other grammatical and spelling errors

That's the one that annoys me the most
Also:

There's certainly a lot of people who can't read and write well around where I am/of my age group. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

I once used the word "deteriorate" in a sentence. Confused stares followed.
Education in the USA is either terrible, or maybe it was just the people you encountered.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
forget reading. Some girl in my math class didn't know how to answer: 27-(4-2). I'm stupid in math and THAT is saying something. and some other girl last year aregued with the teacher tht 3x7 was 22 not 21 -_-
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Last edited by joestrat5000 at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa
Nope, it's quite common here in England. Chavs and dyslexics. I still know people who say aMiNals and pronounce 'know' as now...

The worst is people who say aks instead of ask.
Quote by zgr0826
Learning disabilities, non-interest in reading, and/or general apathy.

Breaking News:
Apathy On the Rise; No-one Cares.
Quote by Woffelz
Education in the USA is either terrible, or maybe it was just the people you encountered.

Compared to many other nations it's lacking. That said though, we have one of the highest percentages of internet use/access, so supplementing an average public education should be simple. People just don't care enough. Reading is awesome, it's their loss really.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
They would rather watch Jersey Shore and Big Brother so they can learn to be model citizens instead.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
As an English teacher I know the answer to this.

It's partly bad teaching and partly because English is a tricky language. There are words that sound nothing like they are written, and children often find that difficult.
I find punctuation to be far more difficult than spelling. Also I am Dutch not English.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
As an English teacher I know the answer to this.

It's partly bad teaching and partly because English is a tricky language. There are words that sound nothing like they are written, and children often find that difficult.

I agree, but these aren't children anymore. They've had just as much time to learn the language as those who can write and interpret it well. Regardless of the complexities of the English language, 16 years of learning it as your first language should be more than sufficient to grasp it.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Ive been surprised by how little people know about the world. i mean in my geography class, an A level geography class, there is a girl who doesnt know where Africa is, and thought South America was just Brazil. She even thought the isle of man was a river because an aisle in a supermarket is long and straight, sort of like a river. She also refused to believe that people with boats did not exist alongside the dinosaurs.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by DonGlover
I agree, but these aren't children anymore. They've had just as much time to learn the language as those who can write and interpret it well. Regardless of the complexities of the English language, 16 years of learning it as your first language should be more than sufficient to grasp it.

16 years of learning? They were 23? I thought they were in secondary school still.

You don't learn to spell just by speaking, it is something trained professionals teach you, which starts when you begin school.

And you are completely wrong that that is enough time to grasp it. It absolutely isn't, and 16 year olds are still children as far as the education system is concerned.
The US has become more centered around entertainment and dumbing people down so they don't have to think, therefore the emphasis on basic skills like reading and spelling goes down the the shitpipes after about 4th or 5th grade.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You don't learn to spell just by speaking, it is something trained professionals teach you, which starts when you begin school.

I'm not trying to challenge your experience here, but I don't remember ever being taught how to spell by trained professionals. I was just expected to be able to correctly spell every word that I would use in written text. Teachers would correct my mistakes in the earlier years, but not when I was 16. By that age, you're expected to be able to spell, unless you only recently started learning english.

Maybe it's different in the UK.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by sashki
I'm not trying to challenge your experience here, but I don't remember ever being taught how to spell by trained professionals. I was just expected to be able to correctly spell every word that I would use in written text.

Teachers are trained professionals.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
16 years of learning? They were 23? I thought they were in secondary school still.

16+5=21
Besides stupidity, how about the ignorance of people today? Just today in my college public speaking course, a sophomore said "Killing Osama Bin Laden is the single greatest accomplishment in America's history." Not as a troll, not as a devil's advocate, he said this 100% believing it to be fact.
Quote by RPGoof

It's mostly Americans though dude.
Americans don't notice it because they are too busy thinking that America is the best country in the world and everyone else is inferior to them.
typing not yoor goud bit no? some other girl last year aregued with the teacher tht , try a school in Louisiana
Quote by sashki
I'm not trying to challenge your experience here, but I don't remember ever being taught how to spell by trained professionals. I was just expected to be able to correctly spell every word that I would use in written text.

Was this English? I have this idea you have some kind of experience of living or speaking in Russian.

It is different in the UK, yes. Children are taught to spell. We have weekly spelling tests, primary schools are incredibly focused on teaching children to spell, and throughout secondary school incorrect spellings are noted and children are expected to correct it in the future. Most schools provide students with a small "spelling book" for words they consistently get wrong.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Teachers are trained professionals.

16+5=21

I thought you 'Merikans started school at 7?

My mistake if not.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

And you are completely wrong that that is enough time to grasp it. It absolutely isn't, and 16 year olds are still children as far as the education system is concerned.

I was thinking more like 17-18 because it was seniors in high school. I was counting having your parents read with you at a young age, which is also something that is lacking in a lot of cases. But when I say grasp the language, I don't mean be able to read and write every complex word and such, I'm referring to TS's situation in which they can't even read the word deniable. That is not an advanced word. Students are quite capable of understanding spelling and grammar of that level and many of them do, which is why it is ridiculous that so many struggle with even that.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

My mistake if not.

Nope, 5. Sometimes even 4.

Quote by Casketcreep
It's mostly Americans though dude.
Americans don't notice it because they are too busy thinking that America is the best country in the world and everyone else is inferior to them.

You're a xenophobic moron.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Sep 13, 2011,
TS y yu Brag boot english skillz?!

:Smiley face of anger, then realisation followed by disappointment:
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Was this English? I have this idea you have some kind of experience of living or speaking in Russian.

It is different in the UK, yes. Children are taught to spell. We have weekly spelling tests, primary schools are incredibly focused on teaching children to spell, and throughout secondary school incorrect spellings are noted and children are expected to correct it in the future. Most schools provide students with a small "spelling book" for words they consistently get wrong.

My mistake if not.

Yeah, if they've got an extra chromosome.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 13, 2011,
Why giraffe? Why not platypus?
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Page 1 of 3