So I need a pretty good quality cab for Metal and I have no idea what I'm looking for ... all I know is that I don't like the sound of V30s and they are in most "high quality" cabs.

What do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have the opportunity to pick up a Mesa cab for a really good price but it has V30s ... should I even bother if that mid spike sounds disgusting?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 14, 2011,
Check out Avatar cabs. You can get any type of Celestion speaker you want in it, or get it speakerless and put your own speakers of choice in it.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
I would get a Mesa cab with that price just for the looks You can always upgrade speakers, you know? They can be anything.. from Celestion to Peavey to Eminence... but I'm not good at recommending speakers. I like the sound of Peavey 6505 played through a Marshall cab with Heritage speakers, I don't like the Sheffield ones that are originally in Peavey cabs nearly as much.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If its a good price then get it, those cabs sound good. You may not like the V30s but you can try them when you buy it and if you don't like it plenty of people love those speakers so it shouldn't be difficult at all to sell them and put whatever you want into it.

Or: Look into Avatar, Whitebox, or Port City cabs. You have them built and they will put whatever you want into it or get speakerless and put what you want.

Im not pos on this but I believe Avatar only use Celestians and Port City only use eminence. It shouldn't take you 5 min to find out. Whitebox will put either in for you.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
You can always lower your mids...

All the metalcore bands use cabs with V30's and their tone is hardly middy
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
or matching a gt1275 with a v30 will balance out those mids too. Overall though if you don't like them then don't use them. There are plenty of other great speakers out there.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I guess I need to try them for myself, even clips on YouTube recorded with GOOD mics are putting me off ... perhaps their tones are just shit, though.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
What kinda tone are you looking for? There's a lot of different sounds in Metal. I use Eminence GB12s for a more "classic" tone (Iron Maiden, Mötörhead, stuff like that) and an Eminence Swamp Thang for modern, really heavy sounds with more low-end. A Celestion G12K100 would also work for that.

You might also look at copies of the V30 which "improve" upon the design (Eminence Governor, WGS Veteran 30).
Wait, have you even tried a good v30 cab? Don't go on vids from youtube cause some people can make anything sound awful.

If you don't believe me look at anything TTK has done. He isn't the only one either. Then you have some people who can make poor gear sound amazing.

I say get the mesa cab cause shipping to ireland might upcharge alot on the avatar and whitebox cabs I dunno and if you don't like the v30s in it like I said before they should sell quickly then buy whatever you want.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
It was the idea of a "huge mid spike" that put me off ... but this is a used Mesa cab for nothing, so tempting.

I'm not looking for "classic" tones at all ... really tight, clear, high gain stuff like Meshuggah is what I'm looking for.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Why are you still here If the mesa is that cheap, buy it now before someone else. If you don't like the v30s, no problem, take them out and put something else in.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Look at Avatar cabs. I have on with V30's and H30's in it and running my 5150 through it sounds awesome. As to why you don't like the V30's, maybe you ought to look at your EQ first.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
Look at Avatar cabs. I have on with V30's and H30's in it and running my 5150 through it sounds awesome. As to why you don't like the V30's, maybe you ought to look at your EQ first.

Problem is he has a "good deal" on a mesa cab. There is no reason why he wouldn't just get it.

Also, V30s are not for everyone and there are certainly better speakers out there depending on your gear and what you want.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Problem is he has a "good deal" on a mesa cab. There is no reason why he wouldn't just get it.

Also, V30s are not for everyone and there are certainly better speakers out there depending on your gear and what you want.

I wasn't saying to not go with the Mesa, and I'm only pointing out that the V30's work better in a cab that has another brand or model of speakers in it as well to offer a larger tone palette to play with.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
These vintage 30 downsides that you hear usually include a lot of "disgusting" exaggeration i think the mesa would be good for what you want. Mesa cabs are great. Go for it.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Arch1119
I wasn't saying to not go with the Mesa, and I'm only pointing out that the V30's work better in a cab that has another brand or model of speakers in it as well to offer a larger tone palette to play with.

I agree, I even mentioned earlier pairing them with G12-75s. V30s can balance very well with other speakers but Im not a fan of them as the sole speaker in a cab but thats just preference. Alot of it has to do with the amp as well which the TS has yet to specify.

TS what amp do you have/are getting?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Buy the Mesa cab. Learn how to EQ your amp to suit it.
/thread
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Bugera 6262 head right now and will be using it for, like I said up there, tight, clear, high gain 8 string Meshuggah-y stuff.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, Avatar won't work for you in N. Ireland.

How much is the Mesa cab?

what about a used Marshall or Orange cab

If I could find any they'd suit fine for Metal I assume?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Some guys don't like the standard engl cabs with the v60s because apparently those speakers are too scooped. Never tried one myself though.

The pro cabs have the thumbs up from me...