I know this might have come up before on this forum but I don't come on guitar techniques much and couldn't see anything similar to this in my quick browse. Basically I'm a finger style guitarist whose solos sound mostly like blues with a touch of distortion and extensive double stops, I guess you could say Jimi Hendrix-esque but not quite. Other people have complimented my energetic solo sessions during jams (mostly non-musicians to be fair) but to me they're (my solos) all starting to sound the same.

Yes technically they're all different but I find myself resorting back to a double stop 5th fret on the G and B string (when soloing in A) and bending that D up two semi-tones to match the E I'm playing on the string above and fast downwards movements of the pentatonic scale etc... I guess what I'm asking is if anyone experienced this 'block' in their soloing style and how/if you've gotten round it to make every solo a different solo, not just an arrangement of the last one.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
everyone starts to feel like their solo's begin to sound stale, the best thing you can do is listen to some artists you dont usually listen to and look at guitarists with unique solo styles, eg: George Lynch, Marty Friedman, Bumblefoot

Begin using different scales within your solo's too
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Sep 13, 2011,
I'v had this block. I find it tends to be downing to running out of ideas, and also have these licks very strong in your muscle memory.

I advise just expanding your vocabulary. Dont just go and learn loads of licks by other people, but learn some stuff that's a bit different to what you usually do and gain some outside influences.

You can also use rests to your advantage. They can add great suspense to a solo. You dont have to play in every beat, or even every bar. Experiment with it.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Nitnatsnok
What exactly is a double stop?

Generally it's two strings played on the same fret at the same time and mostly within a lead context as far as I've heard it.

TS: You're playing too much and not listening enough, you're allowing your hands to run over familiar finger patters without putting enough thought in to the sound you either want to or are going to produce. Try this: instead of playing a guitar solo next time you're practicing, put the guitar down, step away from it, put it out of your mind completely, and sing a solo to the backing instead. Don't try and be a guitar or anything, just sing the notes as they feel right to you. Now try playing that, or some of that, on guitar. It should sound rather different to what you usually do because your voice isn't limited by what your technique can support in the same way as your hands; you don't have the limits of muscle memory.

If you can think that way when playing a guitar solo you should always have something that fits and is what you want. Of course getting to the point where you can do that is a lot of work and requires a good ear (a solid grounding in theory helps) but it's the best way to get the solos you want to hear rather than just the licks that you've practiced well enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.