I'm in need of new strings. Any recommendations guys because I'm the last person to know anything about strings? I need to get a good crisp sound out of them because I tend to slap a lot so......
"You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!!"
~First track off of A Show of Hands by Victor Wooten
I know a lot of people suggest Roto sounds and Elixers.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I typically use flatwounds, and they aren't the best slappers.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I know little of bass strings but as well but there are 4 kinds. Flatwound, Roundwound, Groundwound, and Halfround strings, the former 2 being the most popular. Heres a photo to give you an idea

Where the top one is roundwound and the bottom is flatwound.

Flatwounds are better for jazz/funk music and give a mellower tone, while roundwounds are very bright and good for most kinds of rock and metal. (Its really all about what kind of sound you want and what your preference is)

For slap you will want to go for some roundwounds - I know Ernie ball makes some good roundwound strings. For another option check out Rotosounds - both 2 good quality roundwound strings.
[Insert something clever here]
I am going to put forward my favourite strings - Rotosound Swing 66s - sound amazing and last pretty long too. The only complaint about them is they are rather coarse. If you play nickel strings normally, they might be quite uncomfortable.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by 13Kelly13
I know little of bass strings but as well but there are 4 kinds. Flatwound, Roundwound, Groundwound, and Halfround strings, the former 2 being the most popular. Heres a photo to give you an idea

Where the top one is roundwound and the bottom is flatwound.

Flatwounds are better for jazz/funk music and give a mellower tone, while roundwounds are very bright and good for most kinds of rock and metal. (Its really all about what kind of sound you want and what your preference is)

For slap you will want to go for some roundwounds - I know Ernie ball makes some good roundwound strings. For another option check out Rotosounds - both 2 good quality roundwound strings.

Yeah...that was pretty misleading.

For Jazz/funk either type of string works. For more aggressive funk (RHCP) and Jazz (Weather Report) roundwounds are perfect. For more mellow funk (Motown) and Jazz (Swing) then flats are a good option.

Rotosound and Ernie Ball make good Flatwound and Roundwound strings.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Elixer's if you can afford them, I tend to go for Dean Markley if I can't.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
R.Cocco stainless steels. Best strings I've use for slap so far, and I've been through a lot of different strings this year. Including everything mentioned above.

Edit: There's a clip on my profile of my corvette strung with them if you're interested.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 13, 2011,