I am looking for a high gain amplifier to play death metal, deathcore, and some hardcore. I've done some research and I think the best and most affordable ones are: Peavey XXX/3120, and the Bugera 6262. My price range isn't that high though (around 500-700), so which amp would be the best? And if so, are there any better options? Thanks.
you can defiantly do a 6505 combo for that kinda money. i haven't personally played the XXX so i can't speak for that. a 6505 with a tubescreamer should suit ur needs very well though
I enjoy my XXX, though it's pretty noisy. I have a smaller Bugera that I love for cleans and running pedals through, but I wouldn't recommend it for Death or Core. Have you tried the Peavey JSX? It has a very nice heavy distortion sound (though I don't remember the price off the top of my head...) And as much hate as I may get from purists, I find solid state amps hold up better for the even, over the top distortion needed for metal that heavy.
maybe drop some new pups in your guitar too. check out some dimarzio d-activators or maybe a crunch lab (bridge) liquefier (neck) set. that will help your tone a pretty good amount
I'm sure I'll take crap from the Bugera fans for this, but I can't recommend Bugera. Those amps are built like shit. Awful components. They're dirt cheap for a reason. They could sound like the best amps on the planet and I'd never buy one. I work at a Bugera dealer.. we've sold 6-7 Bugera amps and ALL of them have been returned for repairs. Every single one.

Anyways

The XXX is a nice amp that should do the trick. I prefer it over the 6505, although that is also a nice, affordable option if you're looking for used gear.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
I'm sure I'll take crap from the Bugera fans for this, but I can't recommend Bugera. Those amps are built like shit. Awful components. They're dirt cheap for a reason. They could sound like the best amps on the planet and I'd never buy one. I work at a Bugera dealer.. we've sold 6-7 Bugera amps and ALL of them have been returned for repairs. Every single one.

Anyways

The XXX is a nice amp that should do the trick. I prefer it over the 6505, although that is also a nice, affordable option if you're looking for used gear.

Agreed, they're flimsy, but it's nice if you don't plan on smashing it around or touring. Mine sits in a safe little corner and sounds great.
I haven't played on the XXX, but the 3120 is one of my favorite Peavey amps. The 6505 is okay, but you will never get a good clean tone out of it, but seeing as you may not use it you would be good with it. You might look at some other brands too, I know that Line 6(Yes, I had a spider III and it sucked balls) is coming out with a new model this fall that is straight tube without any extra frilly effects. Egnater is also coming out with 2 new heads and one of which is built for metal.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
I haven't played on the XXX, but the 3120 is one of my favorite Peavey amps. The 6505 is okay, but you will never get a good clean tone out of it, but seeing as you may not use it you would be good with it. You might look at some other brands too, I know that Line 6(Yes, I had a spider III and it sucked balls) is coming out with a new model this fall that is straight tube without any extra frilly effects. Egnater is also coming out with 2 new heads and one of which is built for metal.

they dont make a combo amp for the XXX or the 3120 do they?
The 3120t to me absolutely destroys the 6505. It can do the gain the 6505 can but can give you cleans that a 6505 can't touch.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by CheesePopcorn
they dont make a combo amp for the XXX or the 3120 do they?

I think Ive seen XXX combos but Im pretty sure the 3120 is a no.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by CheesePopcorn
does the XXX have good cleans?

They are average, but sound great with a compressor in front.
Quote by CheesePopcorn

Yes.
Better than than 6505 or 6505+ by far
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
You might also check used to get a 5150 combo. I got mine for $400USD a few months ago is great condition.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
The XXX is the best metal amp in that price range. The overdriven channels are the next best thing to a Engl or Bogner. The cleans are good, not sparkling, but good. I've had one for a few years and wouldn't trade it. But you will need to invest in a noise gate for it. And they did make a 2x12 XXX combo. You can find those fairly easily on ebay.
Quote by stoic
The XXX is the best metal amp in that price range. The overdriven channels are the next best thing to a Engl or Bogner. The cleans are good, not sparkling, but good. I've had one for a few years and wouldn't trade it. But you will need to invest in a noise gate for it. And they did make a 2x12 XXX combo. You can find those fairly easily on ebay.

would the XXX combo be good for small gigs?
Quote by CheesePopcorn

Depends what you are comparing them to, if its Fender or Vox then not so much but compared to alot of high gain amps then yeah. If you are comparing it specifically to the 6505s cleans then its not even close IMO the 3120 or XXXs cleans are much better.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by CheesePopcorn
would the XXX combo be good for small gigs?

yes but a head + 2x12 cab would do the same and be much easier to transport so just decide whether you wants to lug around a beast of an amp to gigs and practice or what two lighter things to carry. I would personally base it on which I found cheaper.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
yes but a head + 2x12 cab would do the same and be much easier to transport so just decide whether you wants to lug around a beast of an amp to gigs and practice or what two lighter things to carry. I would personally base it on which I found cheaper.

okay, and a 1x12 combo amp would still be loud enough?
Yes. Maybe not have the headroom but thats up to you. I thought they only had the 2x12 combo
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Ampeg VH 140c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ghM952BB8

this leads me to believe the bugera is better sounding.... then the 6505 anyway which is the amp most recommended for straight out metal.

sidenote that vid was recorded in a FULL MIX so results may very, but it gives u a ballpark range of how the bugera has a bit more growl. and its way more into your budget then a 5150/6505
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
the xxx is a really good amp, i loved it when i played it but idk if its gnarly enough for death metal. it does have a very good amount of gain but the 6505 blows it away in terms of heaviness.
the the 6505+112 combo is plenty loud enough to answer your question. i always have to turn it down at practices because its too loud. its just a lot cheaper to get the combo compared to head/cab.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by CheesePopcorn
Okay, thanks for the replies guys, i checked out the amps and im stilll wondering if the peavey xxx is good for death metal?

Yes. Suffocation and Ana Kefr recorded with XXX's. Check out Blood Oath (Suffocation) or Bathos and the Iconoclast (Ana Kefr). The latter will give you an idea of it's clean tones as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X