What's up drum forum

My brother's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and since I owe him a bit, I want to go big this year and get him something awesome. I'm already going to buy his Foo Fighters ticket for next Monday, but I wanted to get him something drum related as well. Unfortunately, being a guitar player, I know little about drum gear, but I was thinking about getting him some new cymbals, specifically new hi hats. His kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom, it's nice but whenever I play with him his hi hat sounds like ass, I think it's an old offbrand or something. Anyone have any good suggestions for a good bang-for-your-buck set? He plays mostly hard rock/older metal (think Dio, Pantera, Black Sabbath, etc.). I'd like to keep it around $100 if possible, new or used is fine, and if this is unlikely (like asking for a hi gain gig-worthy tube amp for metal for $150), let me know and I will reconsider.

Thanks guys

tl;dr need suggestions for inexpensive hi hats or other awesome bday gift for bro drummer
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I'd say have a look at some cymbal packs, some brands have some decent stuff at fairly low prices, they often have high-hats, aswell as a a crash and a ride, for example.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
I'd say have a look at some cymbal packs, some brands have some decent stuff at fairly low prices, they often have high-hats, aswell as a a crash and a ride, for example.

Now that I think about it I think he replaced his crash not too long ago. I was probably going to focus on one type so I can get better quality for the money.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I'm not a fan of buying cymbals as presents because more often than not, they don't suit the use/taste/need of the presented.
Hardware, like a stool or a bass pedal, even a snare, would be a much better option.
But if you can, try and find out what crash it is he bought. It should say the manufacturers name and model of cymbal on the top and/or bottom. Then we can narrow it down to get some quality hats.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I don't know if you're okay with buying used and giving it to him as a gift, but you can find some seriously amaing cymbal deals on ebay. I just purchased a like new set of zildjian quick beats for $118. Quick beats are by no means a low end hi hat either. Many drummers I have talked to have said quick beats are the best hi hats they've ever played.