Hi everybody. Iv been thinking about getting a distortion pedal for awhile and now that im possibly getting involved with a band i think its going to become a nececessedy. My dad used to be in a band that was big around here and he says the best distortion pedal he ever heard of was the ibanez tube screamer, but also said electro-hamonix pedals are good. That being said my friend swears by boss pedals. I think the pedals im condering are the, tube screamer, tube screamer turbo, EH metal muff, or the boss DS-1 or SD-1. Mainly im looking for the best bang for your buck type of thing. I dont have a whole lotta money to burn on a pedal but that being said i dont want some cheap junk. Id say my budget tops out at right around $100 but a little more wouldnt be a trajety but i wouldnt mind getting a cheap one if it was good. If any of you guys have had any expierience with these pedals or other ones you think are better than what iv listed id appritiate your feed back/opinions. Thanks...
What is your current guitar and amp, and what music does your band play?
Most will tell you BOSS pedals are not so swell, including me
What he said, we need to know what you're already playing before we can really give you a good recommendation. That being said, I'll disagree on the Boss pedals; I've found the DS-1 to be a good addition to my board(I use a modded one, but it's not a hard modification to do). Solid as a rock and a damn good pedal, IMO.
ocd
lovepedal superlead
pharaoh fuzz
crunch box
boss power stack?
swollen pickle
distortron
digitech tube overdrive?
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
tube screamer is an overdrive not a distortion. a distortion pedal is a pedal that you get your complete gain sound through and would be run through a clean channel. as far as a good recomendation... boss power stack is amazing.

an overdrive is something you would run infront of a clean channel for crunchy distortion or infront of an already distorted channel for a boost in gain/volume/sustain
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
tube screamer is an overdrive not a distortion. a distortion pedal is a pedal that you get your complete gain sound through and would be run through a clean channel. as far as a good recomendation... boss power stack is amazing.

an overdrive is something you would run infront of a clean channel for crunchy distortion or infront of an already distorted channel for a boost in gain/volume/sustain

This, your dad is silly.
Metal Muff all the way dude. I got myself one, and it works like a charm. I'd recommend one to anybody.
Well what im playing is a PRS SE Torero. My amp i prefer to use is a Mesa Boogie Mark III and that has an amazing gain channel in my opinion as is but that one is a beast to lug around so i guess my main thinking is that i could use a pedal to get distortion out of one of my lighter solid state clean amps. Those include a few beringers, but i also have a Fender Princeton reverb that i think i will be able to use and that is relatively light for a tube amp. I do understand the differennce between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal "so does my dad" but they tend to cross over so the terms tend to get tossed around lightly and sometimes interchanged thiought not the same thing. You can get anything to distort to some extent if you dial it in right and overdrive pedals do cause some distortion. Its really hard to explain tone with words. The music im mainly playing is classic rock but id like to be able to use the pedal for boarder line metal stuff as well so im looking for versitility. My friend has a Boss SD-1 and i accually played through that today but im looking for something a little more distorted than that after hearing it in person. That being said iv heard that if you combine a gain with a overdrive you can get it to really scream. Now that you all have more info any suggestions/opinion?
Ibanez jd9 jet driver
Quote by Grawgos
Check out the various Wampler distortions
The rothwell hellbender
Shur riot
Fulltone plimsoul

One of those may suit your needs.

omfg i forgot the shur riot! that thing sounds amazing in deed
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by broken flyer
I do understand the differennce between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal "so does my dad" but they tend to cross over so the terms tend to get tossed around lightly and sometimes interchanged thiought not the same thing.
Yes you do.

Edit: removed some stuff
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Yes you do. It's EspTro that doesn't, but thinks he does. An OD pedal is a type of distortion pedal.

and what part of it did i not understand exactly?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
and what part of it did i not understand exactly?
The part where you said a Tubescreamer is not a distortion pedal. An OD is a distortion pedal.

edit: ok, that was a bit harsh. I actually responded reading the part where he was offended in being corrected. I can see that you were just making a distinction between OD and Distortion pedals.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by fly135
The part where you said a Tubescreamer is not a distortion pedal. An OD is a distortion pedal.

quote me where i said that exactly?

when i said it wasnt a distortion pedal the sentance followed with "its an overdrive". thats what these things are labeled these days. technically its a distortion pedal with not as much distortion. it only has enough gain to OVERDRIVE the amp a bit more
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by EspTro
quote me where i said that exactly?
I edited while you were typing this post. You're right.
Quote by fly135
Yes you do. It's EspTro that doesn't, but thinks he does. An OD pedal is a type of distortion pedal.

And the other type would be?

Edit: Shit, I really need to refresh before I post.
Last edited by Caffeinated Net at Sep 14, 2011,
All good guys, its this type of discussion that keeps people active on the forums.

OP any update on anything?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Does anyone know what kind of guitars/amp are used in the recorded sample for pedals on musicians friend? Because i kinda like the idea of being able to here wat the pedals sound like before i lay down the money. If i new thats what they sound like for sure i could probably figure out what pedal i want that way but who knows what they will really sound like with my setup.
Quote by Grawgos
Go to YouTube or pro guitar shop, the vids should state the equipment used. I know PGS always does.

+1
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
You have a Mesa Mark III why would you want a pedal for your dist? Id just get a tubescreamer to boost it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
^love that pedal. There is a guy here in TN close to me that makes a very good clone for like $140 I think.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
If you read my previous posts then you'd know i said that i wanted a distortion pedal because the mesa is too heavy to take every where so i was going to use that with one of my clean amps. And yes an overdrive would be great on the mesa so right now im kinda think a Boss DS-1 and a Boss SD-1 since they'r only 40 bucks a piece i could get both but now ill need to go to that website recommended and listen to the sound samples for all the pedals i was considering.
Last edited by broken flyer at Sep 15, 2011,
Hi, I got the TS808 with Keeley mod, it has this little (pig tail?) power adaptor extension (1/8" audio plug like cable). Anyone knows which power adaptor I could/should get? its 9V. On Robert Keeleys website they recommend the Ibanez AC109 adaptor but when I look at pictures of that one, it doesnt seem to be possible to change to top part which I would have to do in order to fit with the pedals special extension (like this multi plug power adaptors).
Anyone knows?
thanks
Dude, hit the gym and use the Mk. III. It will be loads better than a pedal into the SS clean amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hi, I got the TS808 with Keeley mod, it has this little (pig tail?) power adaptor extension (1/8" audio plug like cable). Anyone knows which power adaptor I could/should get? its 9V. On Robert Keeleys website they recommend the Ibanez AC109 adaptor but when I look at pictures of that one, it doesnt seem to be possible to change to top part which I would have to do in order to fit with the pedals special extension (like this multi plug power adaptors).
Anyone knows?
thanks
Quote by LaidBack
Dude, hit the gym and use the Mk. III. It will be loads better than a pedal into the SS clean amp.

Ya right. besides the weight there are other factors like value involved. Id rather run the risk of someone stealing one of my clean amps than the MK III. Either way ya i do realy love the mesa but that isnt what im gonna be using all the time so thats why i need the pedal for when its not practical to use the mesa. That being said i kinda want a overdrive too along with the full out distortion pedal for my clean amps so that way i could that with the mesa and make it really scream.
New Wampler SLOstortion.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
My friend with the boss sd-1 is gonna let me borrow it and im gonna try it through my mesa and see wat an overdrive will do for that amp. how much sound difference is there between say a tube screamer and a sd-1?
Last edited by broken flyer at Sep 15, 2011,