I wan't to see what happens if I plug my computer into my speaker cab, but it doesn't sound like a very good idea. My cab is a 1x12, 120 watts, 16 ohms. I have no idea what the ohms output on my computer is and I have to plug a dummy jack into my cab for this to work. Is this a bad idea?
I don't think you'll damage anything, but I'm pretty sure it will 1. Sound like crap 2. Be really quiet. 3. Both.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Well thats a stupid idea as it wont make any sound worth hearing and its probably going to break something.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by souperman08
I don't think you'll damage anything, but I'm pretty sure it will 1. Sound like crap 2. Be really quiet. 3. Both.

I know it wont sound good, I just really want to try it.
Your computer's speaker out is designed for active speakers. It's impedance is in the thousands of ohms. It is probably protected, so you won't have to worry about frying it like you would with a mismatched guitar amp, but you just won't get any volume at all. You need some kind of amplifier between the computer's output and the speaker.
Quote by Baconator1228
I know it wont sound good, I just really want to try it.

.......why?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The ouput from your PC will not be enough to drive the cab. Worst case you might overload your soundcard getting anything out of the speaker.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
The ouput from your PC will not be enough to drive the cab. Worst case you might overload your soundcard getting anything out of the speaker.

I'm not going to do it. I was just curious if it would even work. Stupid idea is stupid.
Depending on the inputs to the amp, it might work. I do it all the time on a baby amp, but it has a "CD" input made just for that. If it doesn't have that, then you will most likely not have the power to drive the amp at all. You could run it through a pedal first for a little boost. But for the cost of a computer sound card and an amp.... maybe not a good idea.
what cab do you have?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^

But, yeah... Your computer speakers have a built-in amplifier. That's standard fare. Which would, of course, be why it does work with a combo that has auxiliary inputs.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
edited for nonsense...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by LaidBack
We all know you could blow a speaker by overpowering it. But what a lot of people don't realize is you can destroy a speaker by underpowering it as well...
New urban myth brewing?
Quote by fly135
New urban myth brewing?

Grrrrrrr I THOUGHT I read on the Eminence website that underpowering a speaker could cause damage, but I can't find that article now...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I know it's not the same, but I've hooked up my laptop to a combo amp and it works just fine... sounds better than most conventional PC speakers too.
Another unoriginal prog head.
Quote by LaidBack
Grrrrrrr I THOUGHT I read on the Eminence website that underpowering a speaker could cause damage, but I can't find that article now...
I could see how using an underpowered amp could cause damage. This would be because an underpowered amp driven into clipping would increase the actual power above it's rated power and possibly damage the speaker.