I just picked up a beginner electric guitar, doesn't sound too bad but there is a lot of buzz and some crackling. It happens with two different guitars so it is not the guitar. The amp also seems to play music fine if I plug it into my PC with an adapter. The Amp is just a small beginner one made by Academy, it also does not have a grounding prong(broken off) but I find it odd the PC music does not have any buzz. Could it just be the cable? Or is it the grounding?
Try a different cable. Decent cables can make a huge difference. The cheap ones you get with a guitar are not the best. Is the PC music playing thru the same input? If so I think your amp is OK. If not, it may just be a bad input jack in the amp. Sounds like the amp is fine internally though.
Quote by SWilson
Try a different cable. Decent cables can make a huge difference. The cheap ones you get with a guitar are not the best. Is the PC music playing thru the same input? If so I think your amp is OK. If not, it may just be a bad input jack in the amp. Sounds like the amp is fine internally though.

The music is playing through the same input. The cable I have seems cheap and crappy so I will try getting a new one. Thanks.
Can a cable cause a grounding issue? Because on both my guitars the buzzing changes if I touch any metal, as if there was a grounding issue but I am almost certain there is nothing wrong with the guitars themselves.
Yes, the cable can cause a grounding issue. The braided shielding portion of the cable is the ground. That usually breaks down first, usually right after the plug. Learn to solder if you don't already. You can make a slightly better cable by buying an end and cutting off the old plug and soldering in the new end. A good little project to get used to soldering.