What would you guys recommend for a good electric guitar tuner. For tuning and especially for intonation.

I currently have a BOSS TU-80 and it is very inaccurate. Every time I hit a string it tells me something different. According the BOSS though, this tuner is +1/-1 cents.

I was thinking about getting the BOSS TU-3. It also says +1/-1 cents. do you guys think their will be a difference though.

What tuners would you recommend for accuracy? I'm looking for one that costs $100 or less.

It would also be helpful to list the different tuners you have tried and your opinions.

thanks.
TCE Polytunes go new on ebay for $70 all day. I eventually want to get one of those myself. If you can find a used Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (or something along those lines), they're supposed to be incredibly accurate but sell new for $130. The Digitech Hardwire tuner pedal is good, too--again, new for ~$70.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
i love my korg pitchblack tuner, i got it new for under 100, but i didnt get it at a store . my only complaint is as accurate as it is it doesnt do well outside in the sun. the boss tu-2-3 does good in lightss tho. so maybe one of those?
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
My 1st choice would be a Polytune (used). Second option is the korg pitchblack.
WTLTL 2011
Korg PitchBlack
Planet Waves Tru Strobe Pedal
and then there's that silly ol' Poly Tune thingy (official term).

Last I heard the Polytune was the most accurate, but not sure of price. I think the PitchBlack and Tru Strobe are both like $90.00. The intonation feature of the Tru Strobe is great and it also displays any note you play if you want.

Edited to add: I didn't really want to argue with 50 people about which is most accurate, best, cheapest, easiest to use....blah blah blah....but since I had time, I went to the websites and got the info. The post is a few posts up/down.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Korg PitchBlack
Planet Waves Tru Strobe Pedal
and then there's that silly ol' Poly Tune thingy (official term).

Last I heard the Polytune was the most accurate, but not sure of price. I think the PitchBlack and Tru Strobe are both like $90.00. The intonation feature of the Tru Strobe is great and it also displays any note you play if you want.

Polytune: Hit all strings, and tune them all in one go. Takes no time at all. Definitely worth the extra bucks in live settings.
WTLTL 2011
I ditched my pitch black for the TC poly tune....it's a better pedal.
boss is bullshit. its actually +/- 3.

edit: the best for that price are either korg pitchblack, or the polytune.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 14, 2011,
Turbo Tuner kills all for speed and accuracy. It's $30 over budget though but totally worth it. The TC Polytune is a solid alternative.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ethan_hanus
I still use my old Fender Squier tuner that came in my starter kit 7 years ago. Yeah, the B light no longer works, but it nails the tuning ever time still.

funny that you mentioned it., but my old starter pack tuner just died yesterday. then i try my korg tuner, dead. tried three sets of new batteries in both of them. so now i am just using a tune on my phone.

i have looked into it quite a bit for a while, and i think i will be going pitchblack myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i'd say the polytune, if you don't know anything about it look it up. would make tuning at shows so much easier. i plan on getting one in a payday or 2
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Snark!
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
best bang for the buck ever made new in box is the GFS. i have it. definitely not the best quality but still solid. i mean, im not touring or anything. but ive been playing live on and off and play at home between 1-3ish hours a day and its been holding up for over a year.

probably one of teh best 44 bucks shipped ive ever spent.
My Hardwire tuner is very good. If I could go back though, is probably get a Boss TU3. When I got the Hardwire I was all stoked on true bypass, but now I realize its way better to have a buffer at the start of your chain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for all the answers.

I can't find the turbo tuner in any store and I would prefer to buy it from a store rather than online.

Most people here seem to favor the Polytune or the Pitchblack. It says the Polytune is +0.5/-0.5 cents but I don't see anything about the Pitchblack. And do you guys agree with the accuracy these tuners claim to have?

My +1/-1 BOSS is definitely not +1/-1
The polytune website claims +/-.5cents. The Planet Waves Tru Strobe Pedal claims an accuracy of +/- .1cents. The Korg Pitchblack claims +/-1cent.

If those claims are accurate, then the Tru Strobe is most accurate. The Tru Strobe costs $89.99 at GC (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Tru-Strobe-Pedal-Tuner-105953426-i1501343.gc?esid=planet+waves+tru+strobe+tuner), the Pitchblack is $89.99 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pitchblack-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner-104835434-i1386425.gc), and the Polytune is $99.99 (
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Electronic-Polytune-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner-105788152-i1506657.gc?esid=TC+Polytune).

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytunetechspecs.asp (TC Polytune).
http://store.daddario.com/category/339146/Tru-Strobe_Pedal_Tuner (Planet Waves Tru Strobe)
http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=295 (Korg Pitchblack)

Any other internet research we can do for you?

I own the Tru Strobe, if it isn't obvious, then........
What's wrong with just a cheap headstock one? my snark works really well, can tune mutiple instruments and dosen't affect my guitar signal
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Is it under $100.00?

Edit to add....just so he can consider it, since it is probably under $100.00 at GC.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Sep 14, 2011,
Thanks for the answer IbanezBossShred. What do you think of your tru-strobe? Have you had any problems? and how long have you had it?

The tru-strobe. It seems many people have problems with it and hate it, while others love it.

Polytune. it seems that most people like it and a few don't like it.

Pitchblack. It seems that everybody loves this thing.

Just to be safe I think I will stay away from the planet waves. I think I'm going to go with the Pitchblack or Polytune. I would like the turbo tuner but I don't want to buy it online.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Is it under $100.00?

You can get it used for under $100.

^They don't sell them anywhere except direct.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by teh_goon
What's wrong with just a cheap headstock one? my snark works really well, can tune mutiple instruments and dosen't affect my guitar signal

Because it looks stupid, and it doesn't mute your signal when you turn it on, and you can't turn it on with your foot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll second the GFS GFT-90, I love mine. I believe its accurate to +/- 1 cent, and its only $40. You can set it up to mute or not while its on, and the screen is awesomely bright.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
your ear is not gonna notice the difference in the tuners accuracy from one to another. get the one you like and be done with it. i have had the boss tu-2 forever and it has never let me down, great pedal. the polytune sounds like a great tuner. whatever you do, make sure the one you get is a rugged pedal that will stand up to some abuse
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
your ear is not gonna notice the difference in the tuners accuracy from one to another. get the one you like and be done with it. i have had the boss tu-2 forever and it has never let me down, great pedal. the polytune sounds like a great tuner. whatever you do, make sure the one you get is a rugged pedal that will stand up to some abuse

ummm.................. its called sight singing. some people actually have good ears.

so you are very very wrong. i can tune guitars perfectly without tuners, and if i use a p.o.s. boss, tune the guitar with it, i will notice every sharp and flat.
Also if your band members tune up with more accurate tuners and you all hold a sustained note it can sound very off live if your tuner is inaccurate
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by FenderBluesAAA
Thanks for the answer IbanezBossShred. What do you think of your tru-strobe? Have you had any problems? and how long have you had it?

The tru-strobe. It seems many people have problems with it and hate it, while others love it.

Just to be safe I think I will stay away from the planet waves. I think I'm going to go with the Pitchblack or Polytune. I would like the turbo tuner but I don't want to buy it online.

I like it a lot, that's why I use it most. But I don't think it's 100% perfect. It could be a bit faster. I'd love to see a crossbreed Polytune/Tru Strobe. I've had it about 6 months now I think. Long enough to know I like it. But I'll bet I get more tuners in time and see what I like best.
Quote by FenderBluesAAA

let me add to your list:

turbo tuner - never ever ever heard a complaint about this. every person i know (including myself) regard it as the creme de la creme of tuners.

how about you find someone who has an ebay account and get them to buy it for you?
Thanks again for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I didn't expect getting this many replies. I thought I would get just a couple. This forum is really impressive.

@ironman45 - I can't find the GFS tuner online.

@NakedInTheRain - I want that turbo tuner but not at that price. And buying straight from the company means that's the only price. And I also don't buy used gear. Just personal preference. I like my gear new.

@IbanezBossShred - that is good to hear. I really want that tru-strobe if its as accurate as it claims to be but I'm afraid due to all the bad reviews.
Quote by FenderBluesAAA
Thanks again for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I didn't expect getting this many replies. I thought I would get just a couple. This forum is really impressive.

@ironman45 - I can't find the GFS tuner online.

@NakedInTheRain - I want that turbo tuner but not at that price. And buying straight from the company means that's the only price. And I also don't buy used gear. Just personal preference. I like my gear new.

@IbanezBossShred - that is good to hear. I really want that tru-strobe if its as accurate as it claims to be but I'm afraid due to all the bad reviews.

look at the polytune if you want something accurate.

i tried the tru strobe and comparing it to my peterson its 1 cent accurate. polytune is advertised at .5 cent (don't know if its true or not)
I think I'll be going with the Polytune. I read in a couple of places that it is only .5 cents accurate in strobe mode.

I will be going to get a tuner today because I want to setup my guitar tomorrow. Hopefully I end up getting a good one.