I just purchased my first guitar and my budget for my first amp is roughly $200. I'm mainly interested in playing metal, but I will probably be playing clean for a while since I am just now learning to play, that way I can hear my mistakes better.

Right now I am leaning towards ordering a 30w Peavey Vypyr, but I figured I'd see if anyone has any other suggestions before I buy it.

So, do you think there is a better amp out there for around $200, or should I just go ahead and get the Vypyr 30?

And if I do get the Vypyr, would you recommend the Sanpera pedal? (I wouldn't get it now, but later on down the road I probably will if it is decent.)
A vypyr is about as good as you will get for that price. Most UGers will be glad your not deciding between a spider and an mg.
I actually like the Cubes a lot more than the Vypyr but I think you'd have to go try them out and see for yourself. Can't go wrong with a Vypyr though
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Baconator1228
Most UGers will be glad your not deciding between a spider and an mg.

Haha this indeed.

Can't go wrong with the Vyper or a Cube in that price range, although if you are looking to play metal, lean Vyper..

Here's a few links. You're not getting many responses because we have (almost) the exact same question every single day. Use the search bar and check out the stickys. You'll get more responses but please tell us what genres you like (a bit more specific than just cleans. What songs will you want to learn first?), naming a few bands helps too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477381&highlight=beginner+amp
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476612&highlight=beginner+amp

I know that these links involve guitars but you could ignore that and focus on the comments about the amps. Use the search bar, there are alot more threads.

Anyway.....here we go.
Don't limit yourself to the vypyr. Look into the Vox VT series, Roland Cubes, Fender Mustangs (I have one!), Orange Crush and there are probably a few i missed. There are alot of bad amps on the market, and when I say bad, I don't mean unusable, just sub-par with the others.

So............................yah. I could ramble on but I'll just wait for some other people to pick up for me
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ok thanks, I also forgot to add that I can increase my budget up to probably $300 max if there is something a lot better in that price range as well.

And as far as going and trying them out... well, I would honestly feel kind of awkward doing that since I don't really know how to play much quite yet lol. I think until I get better playing I'd be more comfortable using the knowledge of the UG members. I'll definitely be trying out a lot of different guitars by the time I decide to buy something better than my "starter" one though.

Thanks again for the advice.

EDIT: I did have a post before, and you actually linked it lol; that was about a week ago though, and I moved my amp budget up so instead of bumping the old thread I decided I'd make a new one about just the amp, to see if there was something that stood out as better in this price range.
Last edited by xally at Sep 13, 2011,
Vypyr, man. I've been playing for nearly 8 years and after I pretty much decided not to be in a band, I traded my Crate VTX200 for a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I haven't looked back. I'm keeping this amp. And if you're looking to play metal and you have $200, Vypyr. Screw the MG. I had one and besides a particular bass response that I liked, it had nothing going for it. I can't speak for the Spiders, but I don't think I'll have to considering I have a Vypyr and it suits my needs beautifully.
Quote by xally

And as far as going and trying them out... well, I would honestly feel kind of awkward doing that since I don't really know how to play much quite yet lol.

Ask the store reps to play them for you. Most beginners get advice from the store reps which really helps when you're right in front of the amps and can tell them what you like and don't about it.

For $300, you can get a Fender Super Chap XD but I don't know if you should get a tube amp just yet. Another UGer may chime in on that. I have no clue if tube is "too much" for beginners.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Vypyr is where it's at. I have a 15W version, and they are great little practice amps. Just don't get a Spider! They are baaaaad news.
Vypyr all the way. I have one and it's simply amazing, you can get some great dirty channels as well as cleans out of it. It definitely shines when you crank up the distortion though. Put it on the 6505 setting and your set. And as for the Sanpera pedal, it's not necessary but it makes navigating between your presets a lot easier and faster and the wah pedals pretty nice.
My first amp and current amp is cube30x and I don't think I could ask for better at all. Lots of good effects and easy to operate.
I prefer the Vox Valvetronix stuff over the Vypyr.. although it doesn't do metal quite as well.

Try the Valvetronix, the Vypyr, Fender Mustang and Roland Cubes. They're all priced similarly and they all really are nice little amps. Each does its own thing well.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I honestly have, reeeaallyyy liked the mustang the few times I've tried it. They sound great for modeling amps and I think they come with recording software and stuff so you can record direct to computer with it. Nice package for a beginner.
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I had one more quick question; do you think a Vypyr 75 would be too loud for my bedroom? I can pick a used one up for around $150. It seems like it would be better in the long run to pick up the 75, especially since it is cheaper than a new 30, but I'm just not sure if it would -too- loud for practicing in my bedroom.
Quote by fly135

Look at it
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by xally
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I had one more quick question; do you think a Vypyr 75 would be too loud for my bedroom? I can pick a used one up for around $150. It seems like it would be better in the long run to pick up the 75, especially since it is cheaper than a new 30, but I'm just not sure if it would -too- loud for practicing in my bedroom.

I'd get the 75. It will be fine for bedroom volumes and better for metal. It also has the added benefit of the USB port. I got my Vypyr 60 for $315 at Guitar Center used. Even better.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 14, 2011,
I have a vypyr 75 and i can easily get great bedroom tones. Never had a problem cutting through at gigs either. Also, i didnt care for the 6505 model. I usually keep mine on either the Rectifier channel or JSX model. For cleans, the Twin model is great, add the tubescreamer effect and you can get some crazy blues tones out of it. Actually responds really well to picking dynamics, which suprised me a lot when i started using it, especially for a solid state amp
Ive seen Peavey Ultra combos for around that, in fact there is one on GC used for $250 right now and if you are wanting to play metal I would choose it over a Vypyr.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
i still say vypyr tube because honestly i amost guarantee you will want to experiment with different genres, so i wouldnt say get an amp that JUST does metal well. With my Vypyr i've gotten tones for Led Zeppelin, Steve Vai, The White Stripes, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, and some really nice clean tone that fits most thing well, especially with a strat or les paul. It has versatility, especially once you start learning how to EQ correctly. Not many bands i havent been able to find a tone for, minus a few Muse songs