Page 1 of 2
Long time reader, first time poster. I hope I'm posting this question where it should be. I apologize in advance if not. I'm working with a solid state Marshall half-stack. Tube is better, believe me I know. But I want something that can take a beating on the road and not have to worry about replacing tubes.

So, I've been using a basic foot pedal setup for my guitar. It's not so bad for clean and OD settings. I rather like the OD I get from the head, but my full-on distortion leaves a little something to be desired. I play rhythm guitar and our band does progressive metal with psychedelic and ambient tones. So no crazy death metal 'look what I can do' type stuff. The softer side... think Deftones, APC, Porcupine Tree, and Tool. Not Lamb of God, Between the Buried and Me, and Faceless type stuff. Just trying to give clarification for the kind of sounds I'm going for.

I want to spend around $150-200 on pedals. I don't need much, but I would like to have a nice three stage set up consisting of clean, OD, and full-on, beautiful, face-melting distortion. Again, I think I'd be cool with using the OD my amp provides.

So I'm wondering what kind of pedal setup I'll need to achieve these 2 things:

1) Tone that will give me nice high gain tube sound. You know what I'm talking about, that beautiful fizzy yet gritty and searing tone. I've looked into Tubescreamers. Will those achieve something close to that sound?

2) Reliable, smooth sounding feedback. I don't want to have to wave my guitar all around to get it. I don't want it to be abrasive or an unwieldy type of feedback either. Is a compressor the answer here? I think I've heard that those can help with this. What about graphic EQs? I'm open to suggestions.

I primarily use a semi-hollow Ibanez Artcore. It's great for rhythm and gives me a nice bottom end.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!! So what kind of pedal setup should I consider? Remember I'm only using a foot switch right now, and it's screwed. So what kind of pedal setup would u guys suggest I graduate to considering my aforementioned needs?
If you say it's a Marshall MG head, I will burn it to the ground, and walk away.

If the amp sucks in general, no amount of pedals will save it from the horrible tone it produces. The only way to change the true way it sounds is to change the components in the amp, mainly the OP amps, and diodes.
an overdrive won't do much for you since you are using a SS amp. best bet would be to use a distortion pedal though the clean channel. sorry but you aren't likely to get a nice tube sound though. check out the EH Metal Muff or a Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion or perhaps the Tube Distortion (haven't tried that one but i hear good things).
The tube screamer will do you no good. I would look for a 12ax7 powered distortion pedal if you want to get anywhere close to a tube sound, but it probably isnt going to happen.

I would start with a good eq pedal. Not a huge initial investment, and most have a good resale value if you hate it. In fact, you may find that you like your original tones more with the first EQ, and end up getting a second one to kick it into overdrive, i.e. boosting certain frequencies to achieve the grind and feedback you are looking for. Try it in the effects loop too, if you have one. Good luck.
Getting a good graphic EQ seems to be a suggestion that comes up a lot, so I'll probably end up getting one soon. I know there's not much love for MGs but it's what I have and has been working good for me. There's better tones to be had sure, but for playing metal rhythms, it gets the job done. And frankly there's a lot of amps that are worse. All I'm saying is I'm pretty sure there's a better distortion to be had other than what I have on the head itself.

I've heard about the Metal Muff. Played it once at guitar center, but at the time, opted for an MXR Full-Bore Metal pedal. I've lost that one since. It wasn't quite what I'm looking for. It was impressive, but I don't know if I'd want that as my mainstay distortion.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Quote by poetic fury
Getting a good graphic EQ seems to be a suggestion that comes up a lot, so I'll probably end up getting one soon. I know there's not much love for MGs but it's what I have and has been working good for me. There's better tones to be had sure, but for playing metal rhythms, it gets the job done. And frankly there's a lot of amps that are worse. All I'm saying is I'm pretty sure there's a better distortion to be had other than what I have on the head itself.

I've heard about the Metal Muff. Played it once at guitar center, but at the time, opted for an MXR Full-Bore Metal pedal. I've lost that one since. It wasn't quite what I'm looking for. It was impressive, but I don't know if I'd want that as my mainstay distortion.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My Yamaha GA-10 sounds better than any MG would, and it came out of a starter kit. I've since modded the holy crap out of it, and now makes all the lower end SS amps look like junk.

But basically what 311 said. Listen.
Quote by poetic fury
Tube is better, believe me I know. But I want something that can take a beating on the road and not have to worry about replacing tubes.

Ugh, this again.

I am going to find the moron(s) that are spreading this idea and strangle them.

Tube amps do not need to be replaced all that often. I gig three times a week, practice often, and I still have yet to need to swap out tubes. And because tubes are made of glass doesn't mean they'll explode if you look at them the wrong way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

There is no magic pedal that will make your amp sound like a tube amp. If anything, you could get a better SS amp, but at that point just get a tube amp and be done with it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Just like I've always seen at the UG forums. Singing the praises of tube amps and hating MGs. Fine. If no one believes I can get a better distortion than what I already have on board then thanks. I'll just save for the next year or two and get a tube amp. In the meantime I'll just keep kicking myself in the ass for the poor decision I made in getting an MG and for not shelling out the extra 600 to 800 bucks I didn't have but would have needed to get a proper tube amp like a JCM 1800.

Just sum it up to say if you have a SS, don't come here for advice on pedals. Sorry for mentioning that I'd like some tones that are reminiscent of a tube. Shit, can I not compare? A friend in another band suggested suggested a tube driven blues OD pedal can yield some awesome results when combined with a decent distortion pedal. Obviously I'm running off a tube in the pedal at that point, but I think I could pull this off for the price I'm thinking. Plus I have another 3 years warranty on this so called piece. So getting it fixed for free in that time is nice and kind of ties me to it.

Thanks to those of you who suggested pedals and possible set ups.
Last edited by poetic fury at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no offense but if you are a long time reader then you already know the answer.

there are no pedals that will magically fix your amp situation.

trust me...i've been there already.

save up

thank you dude
As one person already suggested your best bet is some variety of "metal" distortion pedal, the 'afore mentioned Metal Muff and Hardwire Metal are good options, also the MXR Fullbore Metal is very solid. Try not to let the UG hate machine get you down, some of us are fully aware that many people don't have the luxury of buying high end gear (or even midrange gear) and simply have to make do with what they can get their hands on. The MGs aren't as bad as people make out, with a decent raunch box in front and a graphic EQ in the loop you should be able to get solid tones from it.
Its not like you have to spend a small fortune for a tube amp. Ive seen Peavey ultra heads for 175-250. You could manage that. Sell your head for $100 and add in the $200 and your in business. No one downed you so much for the amp you play mostly pointed out that blowing money on pedals that will not give much if any improvement would probably be a waste. Feel free to do it anyway if you feel the urge no one will stop you but don't come back here bitching about wasting more money later on.

Go to guitarcenter.com click on used then search "peavey ultra"
There is you a Peavey Ultra 2x12 Tube Combo for $250. You could probably sell you MG for close to that to the right person and keep most of your $200.

Now search "b52 at"
Or here is a B52 at combo for $300 or a head for $200

Now "bugera"
Or even some used Bugeras, a 6262 combo for $350 or head for $279

you get the picture.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Thanks a lot for that Waylanderau. Seriously, it's cool to hear someone tell it like it is around here. It's easy when you have loads of money to spend, but options become limited when you can't just buy something that's obviously superior while also obviously out of your price range.

A graphic equalizer will likely be my next purchase. Any suggestions?
I gave you several options that are well within your price range.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by poetic fury
Just like I've always seen at the UG forums. Singing the praises of tube amps and hating MGs. Fine. If no one believes I can get a better distortion than what I already have on board then thanks. I'll just save for the next year or two and get a tube amp. In the meantime I'll just keep kicking myself in the ass for the poor decision I made in getting an MG and for not shelling out the extra 600 to 800 bucks I didn't have but would have needed to get a proper tube amp like a JCM 1800.

Just sum it up to say if you have a SS, don't come here for advice on pedals. Sorry for mentioning that I'd like some tones that are reminiscent of a tube. Shit, can I not compare? A friend in another band suggested suggested a tube driven blues OD pedal can yield some awesome results when combined with a decent distortion pedal. Obviously I'm running off a tube in the pedal at that point, but I think I could pull this off for the price I'm thinking. Plus I have another 3 years warranty on this so called piece. So getting it fixed for free in that time is nice and kind of ties me to it.

Thanks to those of you who suggested pedals and possible set ups.

Clearly, everyone on UG is biased and wrong. Thats why you seldom see professional musicans playing tube amps, and playing MG's instead. Sorry, but it's a cold hard fact. If cheap amp+pedal would make an awesome sound, more people would do it.

Don't piss and moan about not having the money. The MG stack costs $600, for that much theres a huge range of decent tube amps you could have afforded. Let me guess, you "needed" a stack. It's a common mistake when people first start getting an amp for gigging. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Tube-driven pedals will only do so much. Maybe you'll love it compared to the OD/distortion on the MG, but it won't be anything that can't be trumped by a better amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
And beyond that Ive offed 3 amps he could afford now selling his MG. As for him spending the $600 he might not have spent that much and even if he did we all have and will make mistakes but he could have asked here before and been saved the heartache. Of course considering his attitude so far he probably would have purchased the MG anyway to prove all us "tube snobs" wrong.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Where abouts in the world are you poetic? Bluestrat's suggestions are all excellent choices, *IF* you're in the US. If you are then you stand a good chance of getting a full rig upgrade for not a lot more than your current pedal budget. However if you're somewhere like Australia or NZ then you won't even get another 2nd hand MG for that money.
Well he didn't follow 311's "new amp suggestion" thread and put $ instead of specifying currency so Ill go with US. I mean if he has ever looked in on a what amp thread he should have known the info needed. Still in europe there is Laney he could probably afford.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Waylanderau
If you ignore the sarcasm, this is possibly the most accurate thing ever uttered on these forums.

Not really. Although UG is full of 12 year old idiots, it also has many guys who are helpful, smart and resourceful. You just have to wade through the idiots, like everything else in life.
Quote by souperman08
Not really. Although UG is full of 12 year old idiots, it also has many guys who are helpful, smart and resourceful. You just have to wade through the idiots, like everything else in life.

True enough, although in RL you can resort to physical violence if they aggravate you too much
comments like that and you wonder why I get defensive. Jesus Christ enough railing me already! I'll never ask another ****ing question here again. Cause you know, I like to buy shit equipment on purpose just to piss you guys off. ****ing please. You guys didn't have to be assholes about it, and I did thank those who gave pedal suggestions which is what I originally asked for.

I mean for ****s sake, I know you got the internet here between us, but you guys could talk to me like a ****ing human being. All that so many people do here is talk to people like they're morons.

Thank you for the advice on cheap tube amps and providing me with the places to look and shop. But **** anybody who talks about me as some idiot they have to wade through in life. I'm so ****ing sorry my ignorance makes you hate the human race.

I'm sorry for not fully acknowledging the help you guys did offer. But goddamn, for first post here, everyone really let me have it. Thanks fellow musicians.
Damn.. sorry. I shouldn't get worked up. For that, I'm a douche bag. There was no need for me get so defensive. I was just trying to get information and you guys all basically told me what I thought you might and I didn't want to hear it. I had a feeling everyone would say save up for a tube, or sell your stuff and upgrade to a tube amp. I was really hoping for more nuanced discussion about different pedals, and didn't get much of that.

I realize you guys are trying to help me, I was just hoping there might be some viable pedal options to think over. I was just irritated that the tube amp rhetoric still holds true. If you say you want great tone, someone says tube amp. It's the natural order of the universe. Who am I, a mere mortal, to deny it's godliness?

I'm being facetious of course. And souper you nailed it. I thought I "had" to have a stack at the time. It's a common beginner mistake, and I did it. I just didn't like getting railed so hard for it earlier. They just mic your shit at venues. A tiny amp will blow minds once hooked up to the house sound. I know. I've only started gigging about three months ago and bought my half stack a little over a year ago. A lot of this stuff is new to me. I know I'm ignorant, but I will also learn whatever I have to.

Again sorry for huffing and puffing like a 12 year old.
Quote by poetic fury
comments like that and you wonder why I get defensive. Jesus Christ enough railing me already! I'll never ask another ****ing question here again. Cause you know, I like to buy shit equipment on purpose just to piss you guys off. ****ing please. You guys didn't have to be assholes about it, and I did thank those who gave pedal suggestions which is what I originally asked for.

I mean for ****s sake, I know you got the internet here between us, but you guys could talk to me like a ****ing human being. All that so many people do here is talk to people like they're morons.

Thank you for the advice on cheap tube amps and providing me with the places to look and shop. But **** anybody who talks about me as some idiot they have to wade through in life. I'm so ****ing sorry my ignorance makes you hate the human race.

I'm sorry for not fully acknowledging the help you guys did offer. But goddamn, for first post here, everyone really let me have it. Thanks fellow musicians.

Whoa nelly, lets back up a bit. First off, my comment about idiots on UG was not about you. The idiots I'm referring to are idiots who try to do things like selling guitars in the classifieds for more than they're worth, making blatantly stupid threads like "You guys all rip on MG's but they sound better than my friends JCM, you guys are all suckers." Crap like that. If I thought you were that much of an idiot, I wouldn't be responding. I think you just have some misconceptions about gear. (The fact that you're responding with rage is annoying though). If I went to my doctor and said "Hey, I got a 20 inch gash on my leg, should I use a red band-aid or a blue one?", whats my doctor going to say? You say you're glad for the pedal suggestions because thats what you asked for, but quite frankly a new pedal just isn't the best idea.

And don't try to discredit me as a stupid internet troll hiding behind a computer. I would happily repeat everything I told you to your face, given the chance.
Quote by poetic fury

Calm down, breathe. If you've calmed down, we'll continue.
Ok, good.

Now, we've established that UG is full of 12 year olds who think they're the god of tone.
Sprinkling swears around like nobody's business isn't going to help that.

Now, an MG half stack sells for about 200 dollars second-hand. A good 1×12 tube amp is more than loud enough for gigs and will cost around 500 dollars. The budget you have for pedals is 200. 200+200=400, that means you only have to save up 100 dollars. I think you can do that within a month or two.

If your amp doesn't suit your needs, no amount of pedals is going to help the situation. I've learned that lesson the hard way.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by poetic fury
Damn.. sorry. I shouldn't get worked up. For that, I'm a douche bag. There was no need for me get so defensive. I was just trying to get information and you guys all basically told me what I thought you might and I didn't want to hear it. I had a feeling everyone would say save up for a tube, or sell your stuff and upgrade to a tube amp. I was really hoping for more nuanced discussion about different pedals, and didn't get much of that.

I realize you guys are trying to help me, I was just hoping there might be some viable pedal options to think over. I was just irritated that the tube amp rhetoric still holds true. If you say you want great tone, someone says tube amp. It's the natural order of the universe. Who am I, a mere mortal, to deny it's godliness?

I'm being facetious of course. And souper you nailed it. I thought I "had" to have a stack at the time. It's a common beginner mistake, and I did it. I just didn't like getting railed so hard for it earlier. They just mic your shit at venues. A tiny amp will blow minds once hooked up to the house sound. I know. I've only started gigging about three months ago and bought my half stack a little over a year ago. A lot of this stuff is new to me. I know I'm ignorant, but I will also learn whatever I have to.

s'all good bro. For a solid year of playing I would have defended my little Fender frontman practice amp as "As good as any amp I've heard"

Let's try talking amps. Where are you located? If it's in the US, I'd be willing to be something could me found for $200+whatever you sell your MG for. Do you have a Guitar Center locally?
Quote by poetic fury

i think this made him the coolest "what new amp" thread starter. he even admits he made a rookie mistake we all made. most guys never do that haha.

anyway, amplifiers are tough business. i have a few friends who does rather heavy metal, hard rock sort of sounds through a clean amp and bunch of distortion pedals. it works. but it's not the "best" way to do it. if you think about it though, there's always something to be desired, even if you have the best tube amp for that sound.

for metal purposes, i think a properly designed tube amp will get you the best sound. it is probably best for you to start with a budget amp and work your way up, upgrading after you have enough money. i'm not very fond of selling an amp before you get one to increase the budget, because you don't have an amp until you buy the second one. i'd rather save enough money to buy, then sell and have money to build from for the next purchase.

many people suggested amplifiers already, and i'm not that good with metal amplifiers so i won't suggest anything.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ethan_hanus
My Yamaha GA-10 sounds better than any MG would, and it came out of a starter kit. I've since modded the holy crap out of it, and now makes all the lower end SS amps look like junk.

But basically what 311 said. Listen.

what mods did you do?
i have a ga10 that is prett lame.
I'm in the US. Little Rock, and yes we have a Guitar Center. It's where I got my current amp. Let's say I manage to sell my rig for 200, maybe 250. What would you suggest for around $450? The blues guy suggested a couple, I'll look into them. When in the practice room I'd like my amp to still be beefy and cut through the mix. So a real small tube amp may not be the best. One that can hold it's own before being miked out and not cost me my left testicle would be ideal.
Quote by poetic fury
I'm in the US. Little Rock, and yes we have a Guitar Center. It's where I got my current amp. Let's say I manage to sell my rig for 200, maybe 250. What would you suggest for around $450? The blues guy suggested a couple, I'll look into them. When in the practice room I'd like my amp to still be beefy and cut through the mix. So a real small tube amp may not be the best. One that can hold it's own before being miked out and not cost me my left testicle would be ideal.

Bugera 333XL combo sounds like a viable option?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
If you buy from used.guitarcenter.com, 99% of orders over $100 are shipped free, regardless of where it is in the US. I bought a Laney GH50L from there for a total of $429 after taxes, free shipping. When you call the store to place the order, just ask about shipping rates. Just make sure you know what you're buying and if you are going to like it or not. Go to your local GC and try out a bunch of amps and see what might be right for you.

Until then, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Also, shame on you for getting butthurt so easliy, but good job for realizing it's only the interenet, you heard something that you didn't want to (albeit being correct) and correcting your mistakes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by poetic fury

It's cool. Three years ago I would have defended my 100 watt Spider I to my dying breath. We all go there at some point.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
yeah, I mean you don't HAVE to get a tube amp to get good tone.

there are some solid state amps out there that are great for certain applications
-Ampeg VH140 (metal and cleans)
-Roland Jazz Chorus (cleans)
-Peavey Vypyr (modeling amp) just to name a few

hell dude, i started with a Fender GDEC, then a Frontman, and then a Valveking so when I say I've been there done that I mean it.

check your GC used section as mentioned.

those amps bluestratplayer mentioned would work well. i really like the B52 AT series for example. they are great cheap metal amps.

i picked up my Vypyr 60 for $315 used at Guitar Center. It has some power tubes which warm up the sound a bit. Honestly the other Vypyrs 15, 30, 75, etc sound good too.

i didn't see much on your craigslist but keep your eyes peeled to that. you can find Peavey Ultra's and XXXs all the time. I'm not a big Spider Valve fan but some people really like them.
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/2527173228.html

good luck in your quest......it never ends
Quote by beckyjc
what mods did you do?
i have a ga10 that is prett lame.

I made a thread on it. Here's the thread, I still have more mods to do, but the biggest change is the diodes, and the speaker, change those. The OP amp is the biggest, but I'm still waiting on it in the mail.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474443
Quote by poetic fury
Thanks a lot for that Waylanderau. Seriously, it's cool to hear someone tell it like it is around here. It's easy when you have loads of money to spend, but options become limited when you can't just buy something that's obviously superior while also obviously out of your price range.

A graphic equalizer will likely be my next purchase. Any suggestions?

as you may recall i made suggestions without hate. i also told you that you would probably still be disappointed. it's not all UGers trying to diss you or give costly advice. if i had a dollar for every guy that came on here wanting fantastic tone for under $100 cus he's poor i'd be rich and could afford great gear to. the sad truth is that good tone does cost a bit and certain gear just isn't going to provide it for you no matter what you try to do. you can run either of the pedals i suggested or the MXR someone else suggested and get a better sound than what you currently have. it still won't sound that much like a tube amp and in the long run you will end up grumbling about other bands guitar players sounding better than you.

just any tube amp won't automatically give you the tone of the gods either. having said that they do make for a better foundation to build on. my ValveKing will never sound as good as say a Mesa MKV but with a little tinkering i can at least get a decent tone. don't bother getting upset cus sometimes the truth sucks. learn and use the info provided.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Sep 14, 2011,
There is a Crate Blue Voodoo head for $300 at your guitar center if you could get $100 out of your head it is a good amp IMO. There was a Carvin Valve Master head for $400 but would be probably out of your reach but if you could manage it those amps are really nice though maybe not the best for your style. I didn't really see anything else though that wasn't twice your budget.

^ also add to that though that good gear won't help you if you can't eq properly or are a sloppy player. We also see people on here that have money and buy a $1500+ amp thinking it will make them sound better.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Sep 14, 2011,
Thanks bluestratplayer. I'll check that out. That could definitely be feasible.

I'm not as ignorant as my posts probably suggest to you guys. When I was 18 my first amp was a crate 100w, I forget the exact model. Circuit board fried after a year of having it. Went without electric guitar and amp setup for about two years. Then got an 60w Crate for cheap. It worked at first. It was when our band was in it's infancy. But it left a lot to be desired. Then I bought a Peavey Vyper it had a power failure problem within a month and they said they'd just replace it. Two weeks later it failed again with the same problem. I read that the early models of these did have a lot of problems like this. I said screw it at that point and bought a used 100w Marshall combo. Sorry I gave up on them 311. You're probably talking about tube versions or something. From my experience the tones were a bit thin as well. When I turned up it was like I was boosting a hollow digital fizzy sound and it didn't have much presence. The Marshall combo was definitely an upgrade, punched through the mix in the band room good and had better tone than what I had previously. Then, and this is before we started gigging, I bought the Marshall half stack. Like souper said, I thought I needed it. Then we recorded our demo with it while my lead guitarist was going through a peavey bandit. I know right, only top notch equipment for us! Anyway, all the aforementioned amps were SS. Believe it or not the first couple of amps I had I didn't know what a tube amp was, much less the differences between them and SS amps.

I know tube amps are in my future but didn't think it was in the cards just yet. Also, no one seems to acknowledge the fact that I have three years extended warranty left on my current amp. From what I understand everyone thinks I should forego the warranty and just trade anyway. It's whatever, I mean, I'm open to that but it's not like I'm supremely disappointed with my amps tone as it is. I had a basic foot-switch crap out on me and I was wondering if there were any good tone options in the stompbox world. I plan on building a pedal board at some point anyhow, and a digitech multi-fx pedal or something like that is not what I want. The signal paths die out too quickly, and they sound cheap.

Of course when I go to shows and friends and other people in bands are playing through tube amps, I know it's better than what I got. At no point did I suggest otherwise, but I have read a while back that there are ways to get great distortion from an SS with the right pedal setup. Not tube sound, but better than a damn foot-switch, ya know?

Either way it looks like I'm going to be getting a tube here soon. I do appreciate everyone putting in their two cents. I'll be researching affordable tube amps with the tone I'm looking for.

Deuces
Quote by bluestratplayer
There is a Crate Blue Voodoo head for $300 at your guitar center if you could get $100 out of your head it is a good amp IMO.

THIS! Getitgetitgetitgetit! The BV series is highly underrated and offers outstanding bang for buck

*edit* I should also ad that the BVs take distortion pedals very well, so if you wanted to pick one up to get closer to the sound you want right now then you'll find it works excellently if you were to get the crate further down the track
Last edited by Waylanderau at Sep 14, 2011,
if you're looking for an affordable tube amp you could get a Jet City JCA2112RC. or the half stack version if you please. I just ordered the combo and should be getting it on Friday. only $350. if you notice souperman08's sig he has the head version of the amp as well.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Last edited by shredibanez24 at Sep 14, 2011,
I never thought you were ignorant and as for as buying a bad amp, my first amp was a dean markley acoustic amp given to me by my parents when I wanted to learn, then I got a 25w frontman, then 120w crate, then Blues Jr. took me awhile to get something good. I just try to help people see that there are cheaper tube amps out there that almost everyone can afford so that maybe they won't have to deal with bad amps as much as I did. By the way the only reason I had those amps is they were gifts, I wasn't able to purchase the Blues Jr. till I was 13 moving lawns. So if I can save up $300-350 bucks mowing lawns at 12-13 then anyone who wants to bad enough can have a good amp. Sure there might be better amps but there could always be worst amps.

Anyway there are definently some good SS amps out there like 311 mentioned and even more most most aren't cheaper than tube amps so people get them because of sound not really to save money.

Just sell the MG and when you have that $400 or so in your hand start looking at GC and craigslist. On craigslist you might get a really good amp for that if someone really needs money and wants to sell quickly and you wave that cash in thier face.

Edit: also that Jet City rec above is a really good amp but the cleans may not suit you but just go to GC and play one and the Crate BV and anything else close to your budget and see what you like.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Sep 14, 2011,
Page 1 of 2