EDIT: Thanks for all the help guys. I am pretty sure what I am going to do now. One last question before I go try these out with my own guitar and amp. (Later this week)

I have a guy that has some older but great sounding BK 410b, and 115b cabs. They are both rated for 8 ohms.

The ultra plus has selectable ohm, so should I set it to 4ohm and use both the 410(8ohm) and 115(8ohm), or just buy the 410(8ohm) and set it to 8?

What do you think would be the advantage/disadvantages? Volume?

===========ORIGINAL POST==============

In my band, I have recently taken up bass and guitar duties. I have been thinking about trading my amp (Peavey Ultra Plus) because I cannot play bass through it, it would explode. So I am thinking about trading my guitar amp for a bass amp, since there is no real risk of damage playing a bass and guitar through a bass amp. But the problem is, most bass amps are solid state and I'm not sure how great a guitar will really end up sounding through one....

So I started thinking, What if I keep my Ultra Plus head, and just match it with a cabinet that can handle the bass frequencies. Basically, mount my Ultra plus on a bass cabinet. Although the speakers are not going to necessarily be the best for the frequencies, the amp tone would hopefully shine through and I could play bass on it as well without worry.

Possible? Madness?

I know of a few bands...battles...El ten eleven, where the guys play both, but I can't find much about what they are using. And I would like to keep the Ultra Plus in the mix, or a JCM 800/900 if I can find one to trade for...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!
Last edited by ThePariah at Sep 20, 2011,
I play my guitar though my Trace Elliot RAH350SMX(700 watt SS/hybrid bass amp) with a distortion pedal and it's the most epic tone I have.

You can play bass through a guitar head into a bass cab, it works fine, just might be lacking low end.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I play my guitar though my Trace Elliot RAH350SMX(700 watt SS/hybrid bass amp) with a distortion pedal and it's the most epic tone I have.

You can play bass through a guitar head into a bass cab, it works fine, just might be lacking low end.

Really? I will have to look into this, because if I can just find a bass cab that actually sounds good with a guitar that would solve my problem as well.

Thanks!
I'm sure you'll probably be able to find a tube bass amp. See if you can find a Gibson Thor. My friend has one he had chopped into a head, and it uses 2 EL34s, and originally was a 2x10 I think, but I can't remember. It doesn't really break up until you dime it, but it sounds really sexy when you do get it breaking up and distorting =D (with guitar, of course)
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
I'm sure you'll probably be able to find a tube bass amp. See if you can find a Gibson Thor. My friend has one he had chopped into a head, and it uses 2 EL34s, and originally was a 2x10 I think, but I can't remember. It doesn't really break up until you dime it, but it sounds really sexy when you do get it breaking up and distorting =D (with guitar, of course)

Holy, that thing is massive, I would love to find something like that. And chopping it into a head would be pretty awesome.

The worst part is that I used to have a 68' Fender Bassman when I was on a blues kick like 7 years ago...That probably would have worked...sold it for food and rent.
Quote by Zoot Allures
A bass cab would be a good idea. You could get a big sound like Kyuss.

I do like the sound of that. I'm looking for nice midrange clean with the ability to overdrive it with pedals for a nice crunch. So you mean bass cab on guitar head? Or just get a tube bass amp?

Thanks!
Quote by ThePariah
I do like the sound of that. I'm looking for nice midrange clean with the ability to overdrive it with pedals for a nice crunch. So you mean bass cab on guitar head? Or just get a tube bass amp?

Thanks!

A guitar head into a bass cab should work i think o.o
I have been offered a Crate BT-530 with a marshall bass cab 4x10. I have also been offerd a Vintage Acoustic 140 Bass head. I know nothing about them, worthwhile trade? I haven't found much about them really...
The Acoustic is worth it. Don't get the Crate.

But you can play a bass through a guitar head. Rob Trujillo of Metallica does it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Acoustic is worth it. Don't get the Crate.

But you can play a bass through a guitar head. Rob Trujillo of Metallica does it.

Yeah, I'm still thinking I might have to do just that, since the Ultra Plus is a better amp than what I am being offered in trade. It's just a little too dark/metal sounding for me. I used to have the Peavey Ultra 410, and it sounded perfect, I think I assumed that the Ultra Plus head would sound identical, but it definitely has a sound of it's own.

The search for the sound I want has been exhausting really...and now there is a wrench that I need to play guitar and bass. Maybe a JCM 800 or something like that would be nice through a bass cab...*wishing*
Thunderverb 200. That is all.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Thunderverb 200. That is all.

Thunderverb 200. SOunds menacing...

*googles*

Holy hell that is awesome.

*glances down at price*

*Too Poor owned*
Get what you pay for.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Are you guys just recording right now? If so, you don't need a bass amp for recording. It's easier and arguably better to just DI it. Like this.

Nice! I will keep this video save for later. The primary purpose is for live shows right now, our bassist moved and I picked up the duties, I used to play 5 or 6 years ago and had a 68 fender bassman that I loved, but I have just been playing guitar since then...

And now I need to cover both bass, and sometimes guitar duty, so I was looking for a universal solution...

Thanks for the input!
Thanks for all the help, I have a guy that has some older but great sounding BK 410b, and 115b cabs. They are both rated for 8 ohms.

The ultra plus has selectable ohm, so should I set it to 4ohm and use both the 410(8ohm) and 115(8ohm), or just buy the 410(8ohm) and set it to 8?

What do you think would be the advantage/disadvantages? Volume?

Thanks again, you guys got me this far I just need a bit more insight and I can make the purchase.
Quote by ThePariah
Thunderverb 200. SOunds menacing...

*googles*

Holy hell that is awesome.

*glances down at price*

*Too Poor owned*

You can get Used in minty condition from $1400-1500, if you're patient ... well worth it.
Anyone on the cab/ohm question?
Last edited by ThePariah at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Ippon
You can get Used in minty condition from $1400-1500, if you're patient ... well worth it.

That might be something to blow the tax return on this year. haha.
Quote by SGRocker400
either both cabs or just the one would work as long as you match the ohmage. a 2x15 would be sweet too

OKay. That's what I was hoping, I would like to get both...
Thanks for the help!

These are the cabs.

I can afford the 4x10 right now, but I would like to have both, just looks sweeter and I imagine the 15 would put a nice low end on both the bass and guitar.
Last edited by ThePariah at Sep 24, 2011,