I've got a couple questions of questions about chord progressions, first is it worth memorizing them? Second how do you practice them? and how do you put them to use?
Thanks!!!
It's more important to understand the music theory behind chord progressions so you can construct them yourself from a given scale.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's more important to understand the music theory behind chord progressions so you can construct them yourself from a given scale.

This. Memorizing chord progressions isn't going to get you anywhere. It's really like memorizing that 46+35 = 81. Sure, you know that an addition of 46 and 35 gives you 81, but what if I give you two totally different numbers? Would you know how to solve the equation?

I'd type a whole wall of text to try and explain it, but this article explains it better than I could ever hope to: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_3_chords_-_basic_chord_progressions.html

If you don't understand what he's saying (such as intervals and stuff), you might want to check out his earlier articles in the "Ultimate Guide to Guitar" series. Here is the whole list of articles by him: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ZeGuitarist/contributions/columns/

In a nutshell, all you really need to know is how to harmonize a scale to get all the possible chords in that key. Once you have all the 7 chords in that key, go nuts. Under the 'Writing a Chord Progression' section, the author roughly goes through a few ways to utilize chords in a scale to form a chord progression.

Edit: Taking what I've said into consideration, to practice chord progressions (I'm assuming that's what you're asking about), what you can do would be to give yourself a list of scales to harmonize.

To put chord progressions into use, you could, you know, compose songs with them.
Last edited by triface at Sep 14, 2011,
I have been doing a fair bit of study on chord progressions recently, I am slowly getting a grasp of it.

My issue is making them sound interesting when i am jamming.