Page 1 of 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia (In case you don't know what it is).

I have the form where you associate audio with color, which is pretty common among people, and several musicians have had it. I'm sure a good portion of Pit dwellers got it.

An old English teacher of mine had the rarer form where you associate words with taste. One day when the class was asking her about it, she read a sentence and said what taste she associated with each word. I remember she associated the word "people" with the taste of Eggs.

For me, musical notes have always been:

A: Red
A#/Bb: White
B: Dark Green
C: Blue
C#/Db: Yellow
D: Grey
D#/Eb: Silver
E: Black
F: White
F#/Gb: Mustard Yellow
G: Green
G#/Ab: Light Green
Me. Pretty much everything has some associated color. Words, letters, places, people, things, songs. I mostly think in pictures, so this is kinda just an extension of that.
And for the record

A#: Pink
Bb: dark dark blueish purplish thing
B: Light green
C: Yellow
C#: Yellow
Db: dark blue
D: Blue
D#/Eb: Both blue
E: dark blue
F: green
F#: Dark green
Gb: Black
G: lighter green
G#: yellow-green
Ab: purplish-redish thing

I guess I do words and colors because to me A# is different from Bb.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 13, 2011,
inb4 everyone says they have it just to feel special.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by FlashNinja
I don't, but I do have amn...

What thread was this again?

I dunno, but I have ADH- OH MY GOD A SQUIRREL.

Quote by Trowzaa
inb4 everyone says they have it just to feel special.

This.

I could alway slightly "feel" a colour with every note. Slightly being the key word here.

I have a weird thing of thinking albums in general have a colour to them, but I'm pretty sure that's unrelated. For instance, Brave New World by Iron Maiden has a very, very, very, "blue" feeling to it.
One of my best friends does.

And so does this fellow..

Wassily Kandinsky.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Alright, Madcap, without checking, what color is this?

http://vocaroo.com/?media=vBBQkngyvvXM74mm8

Quote by Jesiff
I have a weird thing of thinking albums in general have a colour to them, but I'm pretty sure that's unrelated. For instance, Brave New World by Iron Maiden has a very, very, very, "blue" feeling to it.

Hmm...I wonder why you'd get that feeling.

(Invalid img)
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan

Sounded red or orange to me. Tone also has something to do with it, and I'm bad at telling tones apart, so if I'm completely off in the chart I put up, I don't give a ****.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Hmm...I wonder why you'd get that feeling.

(Invalid img)

The closest thing I really associate color and music with is between minor and major.
Minor is dark and grey and stuff, and major is kinda bright colors that I associate with it.

I think everyone thinks similarly to that though.
Quote by emerald876
The closest thing I really associate color and music with is between minor and major.
Minor is dark and grey and stuff, and major is kinda bright colors that I associate with it.

I think everyone thinks similarly to that though.

Yeah, that's like associating happiness with bright colours and sadness with dark colours. Pretty plain really.

Quote by StewieSwan

That's what I associate colors with on paper or when I touch certain notes on a fretboard. But the timbre of an instrument definitely affects it, probably more. So because that was a distorted static sounding electric guitar, it had a light grey color.

Like even though this track resolves on a D chord, I still associate the synth with the color yellow, because of the timbre of the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyck-8ll94
Quote by RU Experienced?
inb4 he gets the note wrong and later blames it on poor quality of the recording.
Not exactly.
When I'm physically playing an instrument, I "see" what I'm playing as a series of colored shapes. Kind of like a visual score, I guess, but it's tied to actually feeling the instrument in my hands, so it only happens whilst playing, not listening. The shapes are always common ones, like squares, circles, triangles, etc.

EDIT: Probably not synesthesia, but certain intervals and timbres make me nauseous. White noise/static make me extremely dizzy, to the point that I've vomited from hearing TV static. And when dissonant tones are played together at length, I get the same sensation, especially as the notes get close to a half step apart. I assume this has more to do with the inner ear's effect on balance than any neural thing though.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Sep 13, 2011,
I think everyone has at least a slight form of this. If something happens in your past and a nearby color is associated with the occurance, anytime it happens again you will remember the color. For example, if your first kiss was in a blue room, anytime you kiss someone you will probably think of blue.
with light and sound being waves, I wonder if there's some kind of relation between the two. Like if certain sounds and colors go well together, or something.
Quote by nfrench7fold
I think everyone has at least a slight form of this. If something happens in your past and a nearby color is associated with the occurance, anytime it happens again you will remember the color. For example, if your first kiss was in a blue room, anytime you kiss someone you will probably think of blue.

I don't

I do, however, associate a lot of stuff with countries, and flags especially.
Quote by The Madcap
That's what I associate colors with on paper or when I touch certain notes on a fretboard. But the timbre of an instrument definitely affects it, probably more. So because that was a distorted static sounding electric guitar, it had a light grey color.

Like even though this track resolves on a D chord, I still associate the synth with the color yellow, because of the timbre of the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyck-8ll94

Well it was an F, which you said is white.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Duff_McGee
I've never associated notes with colors per se, but I do associate the frets of a guitar with colors

edit: sorry about bigass pic
Last edited by nfrench7fold at Sep 13, 2011,
When I'm high and I talk to people/watch hockey I attribute specific colours or combinations of colours with their personality or how they play. I don't think that way at all when I'm sober, I think conceptually I guess. I don't picture vivid pictures, colours, or things like that unless I'm high.

So no not really
I associate numbers, letters, and notes with colors.
I also subconsciously assign genders to numbers.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone does this sort of thing to an extent.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
A#/Dark red
B: burgandy
C: Yellow
C#/Db: orangey yellow, (bright orange?)
D: purple
D#/Eb: dark blue
E: blue
F: blueish green (i think this would be turquoice)
F#/Gb: Dark green
G: Orange
G#/Ab: Dark orange or very deep orange

I copied from yours and left the ones that are similar as the same, interesting that there are similarities though, tone colour does seem to alter it for me though. For instance, i've always thought this song was very 'orange' , i don't know what key its in but that's the impression http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piW9MHpfCu4
no idea why that song but it always stuck out to me, in the same way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hwp_P3gKs Has always sounded very 'blue' , due to the tones of the actual song.

edit: if anyone else has this with these songs i'd be interested to know
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 13, 2011,
Does that mean you have perfect pitch?
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by nfrench7fold
*GH*

edit: sorry about bigass pic

Like I ain't ever heard that before. It's not from that. Promise

In the Wiki it said that synesthesia is common with people who go blind or deaf, that even though they can't see with thier eyes they can still see associated colors with thier mind when they hear a song, or vice versa I guess if they are deaf and they see colors they will hear tones in their minds.
Quote by Snowman388
Does that mean you have perfect pitch?
No, those are just the colors when I'm reading notes on sheet music or touching them on guitar. When I'm actually listening to a song, it's usually the timbre of the instrument that determines the colors I associate it with.
I'll guarantee nobody in here has it. Just because you can think of colors while listening to music doesn't mean you're synesthetic.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I don't have anything even remotely close to this. But I find it fascinating. I think it's really cool you explain each color with a given note.

To The Madcap: Have you been able to use this condition to develop unorthodox composition methods? What is it like composing music with this condition?
Quote by ryan_nadon
I'll guarantee nobody in here has it. Just because you can think of colors while listening to music doesn't mean you're synesthetic.

Protip: Around 5% of the general population has synesthesia, and that proportion is much higher among musicians and visual artists.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Page 1 of 4