Hi,

ive been on and off playing guitar for 3 years, mostly self taught, and recently
ive recieved my first electric as a gift and have started playing with friends a week ago (drummer and lead singer) at my basement.

I'm now slightly worried because i feel like i should be learning something and improving or else i'd drag them down a bit. (Both of them take lessons) I also think its high time i got off my *** and learn something new.

I know my chords pretty well and i can barre pretty easily, though im admittedlty not exactly talented at this either. My friends and i play some really easy indie/alternative rock stuff so there arent a lot of solos or complicated stuff. Examples of what we play: Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie, City and Colour...

Im willing to spend weeks/months working on something and any advice would be great.

p.s- Heres an example of the hardest thing i can play so far.
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/death_cab_for_cutie/i_will_follow_you_into_the_dark_ver3_tab.htm
Practice!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
since its pretty simple music, id learn some major and minor scales and the theory about scales to chords. then you can get yourself started making songs with chord progressions that are more than just 3 chords and in more than 1 key so your band wont sound so monotonously repetitive. itl also help when you get a bass player to know the structure of your songs. then, just practicing that will help you get better at playing guitar. finally, if you wanna solo or make a fill, learn the simple pentatonic scale and youre all good to go.

So learn about...
Major = happy songs
Minor = Sad Songs
Pentatonic = Solos/Fills/Riffs
Basic Major, Minor, And Diminished Chords

The ability to play all of the above will be all you need to make music just as well as any of those guys you mentioned. Just google around to find and learn about them. Id say goto several different sites to see what they all have to say about it. Some explain it better than others.
well said by ciano16. Have you thought about a teacher?

This is my advice:
Learn new chords - some you dont know yet.
Learn progressions - like I IV V and I Vi ii V
Then pentatonic scale in all keys
Then pentatonic in all 5 shapes
Major Scale in all keys
Minor Scale in all keys
That should keep you busy for a while. It also depends on your goals. What do you want to do? Rhythm master, Lead guitar, Arpeggios, Sweeping...theres all kinds of shit. You gotta ask yourself what exactly it is that you want. What are your goals? This will clear everything up
Quote by mikesocarras

This is my advice:
Major Scale in all keys
Minor Scale in all keys
That should keep you busy for a while. It also depends on your goals. What do you want to do? Rhythm master, Lead guitar, Arpeggios, Sweeping...theres all kinds of shit. You gotta ask yourself what exactly it is that you want. What are your goals? This will clear everything up

This seems excellent. I know more about theory than my technique can keep up with. At this point I just need to start playing and experimenting or learning new songs, or creating new songs. I'm going to have to write this one down.
Quote by mikesocarras

This is my advice:
Major Scale in all keys
Minor Scale in all keys

Skip that bit and just learn to build chords yourself, everything chord related is much easier if you do that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hey thanks for the great responses everyone. Im starting to practice my pentatonics right now.

Just a question though, : what are some slightly more advanced things a good rhythm guitarist should learn?

Thanks again for the replies.
The only thing a rhythm guitarist needs is a solid sense of rhythm and timing. Anything beyond that is all about style.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The only thing a rhythm guitarist needs is a solid sense of rhythm and timing. Anything beyond that is all about style.

Ah thanks, I've been wondering that since forever.
get a teacher.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by expshred1
Practice almost everything with a metronome to get your rhythm tight
excellent advice on the thread. I would take the Metronome a step further. My playing (into it 2 years) has really improved by practicing almost everthing to a drum machine with varying beats.

the other thing that will improve your playing the fastest is to really work on the barre chords combined with strumming rhythm. That gets you that nice chucka chucka let it ring... sounds.

You can really jam with just some simple barre chords and palm muting.

The scales are great but you can come up with a great rhythm guitar riffs simple by hammering on your barre chords
he of tranquil mind
Man, you just need to practice more. Keep steppin' it up. Play some faster stuff.

If you're more interested in being a rhythm guitarist, like someone else said, develop your sense of rhythm. Find some songs which have a tricky rhythm and try to get it down. I've always thought some of the older RHCP material had awesome rhythm, so go and get one of the tabs for one of their old songs.

I'd just try and learn as many songs as possible. Find stuff that you enjoy and find out how to play it. Do it for an hour or two each day. You'll get better and better. And just keep playing with your friends, because playing with other people produces some amazing gains when it comes to learning instruments. I've experienced boosts after doing it, stacks of other people have too.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler