Like most of you guys, I've been having trouble with my sleep schedule for a long time. That can mean anything from staying up till 4 A.M. and sleeping in till afternoon to consistently pulling all-nighters. This has done a number on my health, mentally and physically. It's made me groggy and unable to function during the day and I feel and look like shit all the time.

So for the past week or so I've gotten myself back on an appropriate schedule. I am now waking up with the rest of the world at around 7 - 8 A.M. and safely in bed by 11 at the latest. I no longer feel like ass all day and I'm already showing improvements physically, like my face clearing up. Feelsgoodman.

But of course, there's a catch: My creativity peaks at those unsightly hours of the morning and I simply can't get into that groove during the daytime. So as my mind clears and my body feels better, my art is suffering no matter how hard I try to fit it into my new, normal schedule.

I feel like I have to choose between feeling good and doing good.

Who can relate?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I can sort of relate in that I have a similarly ****ed up sleep schedule (or lack of one, I should say). Unlike you, however, I actually feel better sleeping at odd hours then when I try and force myself to follow a "regular" schedule. As for the creativity part, on average I probably do more creative stuff like writing or composing at night then during the day. But if I'm feeling inspired by something, it doesn't really matter what time of day it is.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
I can only write songs if I'm under pressure to perform in other areas. While I was in school this meant staying up al night writing music instead of studying, and now it's only when I've got something particularly important to do at/for work.

Of course, I'll be happy about writing some sick tunes, but I wont be able to function in any other areas.
I can relate. If you dont have to get up early. **** it. Stay up late and write your stuff.

Just try to find a balance. No over nighters. But no 11pm either. meet yourself like at 3am. I do 4 am. and thats it. I was doing over nighters and i was feeling the same way. sucks. but now with 3 or 4 its much better.
Last edited by mikesocarras at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Placebo much?

just like any other associative human emotion/ability. the same pathways in his mind that give him the late-hour feeling also gives him creativity. either that or he's stuck in a rut and can only feel creative when it's late. it's like saying only being able to fall asleep when the tv is on is a placebo effect. it's kinda given, but works on a different level than medicine.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Sep 14, 2011,
I feel most creative when I have been reading a maths book just before going to sleep, and in that state halfway between wakeness and sleep, shifting forms of wondrous abstract beauty dance through my mind.

Which invariably have no meaning, are complete bull, and these effects combine to thoroughly disappoint me when I awaken.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by laid-to-waste
just like any other associative human emotion/ability. the same pathways in his mind that give him the late-hour feeling also gives him creativity.

fail is a girl.

Quote by laid-to-waste
either that or he's stuck in a rut and can only feel creative when it's late. it's like saying only being able to fall asleep when the tv is on is a placebo effect. it's kinda given, but works on a different level than medicine.

It also doesn't matter. She's using it as a crutch. She doesn't need it to be.
I can relate.

I have ADD, and during the day I'm quite restless in my head, but at night my head is as silent as the night itself, and I can focus better at writing music.

I make late nighters, but I do surprisingly well (and might even do better) at writing music at 9:00 - 11:30 in the morning.

Why this is, I dunno.. Maybe because I grew up learning and being active with my brain at school on those morning hours at a young age.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
ivebeen sleeping bout 4 hours a day for the ;ast four years or so...
insomnia sucks but i also feel the most lyrics get done at early hours in the morning 4 to 5 ish too bad when i pass out and wake up i cant ever exactly rememeber what it is i was playing unless i wrote it down...i widh i could write neater
Quote by captaincrunk
fail is a girl.

i know, her avatar threw me off, thought she was a new user

Quote by captaincrunk

how would she get out of something like this? i sorta have the same issue with studying.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I only get creative when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep.
Feels batman.

If I try to think about it more, I end up extending my insomnia. If I forget about it, I forget about it.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
You will miss out on the guitar riffs the other kids write while up all night on amphetamines.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I completely understand what the TS is saying. I am an art major with a concentration in painting, and I cannot paint anything before 1 am at the earliest, but I hit a wall at around 5am. If I go a couple days in a row where I average 2 or 3 hours of sleep per night, which isnt uncommon in college (last year I was averaging 12-14 hours of sleep per week), I cant focus and it honestly feels like I'm drunk. I can see things happen but I am late to comprehend them or react when I'm that tired and it zaps all creativity out of me, which is how I feel right now, and I have to get up for class in 3 hours. Not to mention I can't sing when I am that tired which is really annoying. If I am well rested my thoughts are clearer, but I have too much energy to sit down and paint or draw. Im glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by a weird sleep schedule.
Most of my writing is done late at night as well. Actually, the last chapter I updated for one of my stories was around 2:30 AM the other night. I just feel better writing at night/morning than during the day.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Most of my writing is done through a lot of beer and friends. :/ anything I write by myself turns out sounding like dog craps
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I had a dream about StewieSwan last night. I can't remember much about it, but either we were getting along really well, or I was beating the shit out of him.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Yes.

Not quite as bad though, I find dusk and evening incredibly inspiring, but that only leaves a couple of inspired hours now I've fixed my sleep pattern, and I already wrote fucking slowly. It's impossible to get inspired during daytime, everything looks mundane and small and dull as shit.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
fail is a girl.

Are you her psychiatrist?
Doesn't the brain release chemicals at night-time? Or in the absence of light?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
Doesn't the brain release chemicals at night-time? Or in the absence of light?

I've heard that people are more creative when they're slightly sleepy, because their subconscious is more prominent, the same reason people sometimes hear voices when they're about to sleep.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by captaincrunk
Placebo much?

I don't see how. I always thought it was because I can focus better when it's dark and peaceful, and the night is much more interesting than the day.

Quote by duggyrocks
yup

Stop telling yourself you can only create at night, or you will only be able to create at night

See, it was kind of the other way around. I discovered I was only able to create at night which caused me to tell myself I could only create at night. I didn't come up with that concept out of the blue one day.

Quote by dann_blood
I had a dream about StewieSwan last night. I can't remember much about it, but either we were getting along really well, or I was beating the shit out of him.

Wrong thread?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I feel more creative at early hours in the morning and/or drunk. That's just me though.

Also atmosphere does play a big part too. Dark, quiet, relaxing, even the weather can factor in. I play music for a stress reliever too so yah. If I'm pissed it's heavy music, chill is mellow calm music, and so on.
Because, Boobs
Last edited by CynX at Sep 15, 2011,
Sleep or lack thereof does not effect my creativity in the slightest because I have forgotten what it means to have a consistent sleep schedule. I am usually up for 48-72 hours, sleep for about four hours and then do it all over again. I usually sleep about 8 - 12 hours a week.

As far as creativity goes, if it is sapped, I take an acoustic guitar and sit out by the beach just before sunrise with a hot cup of coffee and just play and watch the sun come up. It usually lasts for about an hour after the run has rose and the creative juices are found again.
I actually think that the pattern for me is thinking "OMFG this tune is amazing im going to be famous over this!!1" at 3am. Then upon listening to it in the day light its a pile of balls

I think it might be a lack of distractions. At night I'm less likely to watch tv or wander around to see what everyone else is doing
I find that my creativity peaks at night time instead of day, and my sleep schedule has never been perfect. So I guess I could relate. But the self-loathing just comes naturally for me, whether I've slept well or not doesn't really affect it.