When playing slide guitar say in Open D tuning how do you play pentatonics and land on notes in that scale without having notes not in the scale from ringing directly underneath the slide? For example if I am in Open D tuning and play 12 to 14 on the high E string, then 12 to 14 on the B string, then (this is where the problem comes in) say if I want to slide from the 12 fret on G string to 15th fret on the G string. Those notes are all a part of the D pentatonic scale but as I am on the 15thfret G string I am having notes on the high E and B string (not in the scale ) ringing still from the notes I just previously played. The slide is on top of the notes so I cannot mute them.
Last edited by Unreal T at Sep 14, 2011,
Slide technique is particularly difficult, and something I never personally got the hang of.

From what I understand, you should mute the strings with your pick hand after playing each note (if you are playing a scale), and never let the slide leave the strings.
call me ziggy.
here is a more simpler example of a D pentatonic lick in open D.
say the slide is positioned on the 12th fret and u pluck the high E and then the B followed by the G and as you strike the G you slide up to the 15th fret on the G string. As I am on that last note I am having the high e 15th fret and high B string 15th fret still ringing. is that suppose to happen?
It's not uncommen, but like it is already said, you will need to mute with your picking hand.
the way i was taught to play slide is to mute with the left hand, the one with the slide, not the picking hand.

i have the slide on my little finger and use my index finger to mute the strings at a lower point on the neck. that way, the strings not being picked are muted so they don't ring out.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix