is it possible to make some kind of an arrangement(computer placement wise, or computer hardware wise) that a silent studio room would include computer monitors and windows os on it without it making sound?(or at least really quite sound).
my best result so far is to slow my graphic card fan to 20% of maximum(in idle,internet surfing and simple programs it dosent worm up over 50-55c) and cpu speed at 45%.
im considering cheap solutions only so dont give me 100$+ solutions.
Run the actual machine tower in a different room and just have an LCD monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse in the room.

all you need is to make up / get some graphics cables long enough to run through a wall or whatever.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Run the actual machine tower in a different room and just have an LCD monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse in the room.

all you need is to make up / get some graphics cables long enough to run through a wall or whatever.

This. I went to a studio that did this and it was completely silent in the main room.
If you cant run the computer in a seperate room you will have to spend a bit more but the best idea to get an ultra silent case like the fractal define r3 which has sound dampening material and then install ultra low noise fans such as noctuas and have them on half speed.

I run a setup like this with the noctua nh-d14 on a overclocked i7 920 at 4ghz plus ati radeon 5870 gaming and as well as being silent it cools very well.

Definitely not a cheap solution but will be really silent.
Sacrifice power by buying a passive graphics card (You won't be playing any games on it).
Buy an Arctic PRO CPU fan + heasink. You can easily do that under $100.

Or you could buy a decent quiet GPU and a powerful 500+ watt silent Power supply and get the best of both worlds. Loud noises come from cheap and poorly designed fans (and replacing fans directly on different branded parts isn't for the novice). That may run up to $200 if you're smart about it and buy from good places.

Or do what the others said and run a monitor in a seperate room.. USB can run up to about 5meters before they fizzle out and any things you add won't work. DVI and VGA are a little longer. Cables aren't that expensive.

Or just build a pillow fort around it.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
If you posted your pc setup i could probably give you an idea of how you could go about silencing it..
If you arent doing any gaming a passive low powered video card is a good bet but thats not to say you cant get a gaming grade graphics card since when doing audio stuff its not like its going to spin up anyway.. Most of the good gpus you can only ever hear when you're like.. gaming on them!
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by dany_100
never mind, i think that my computer is quite enough.

LOL
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
buy the arctic silver and the arctic pro cpu fan, use bigger vent fans like the cooler master HAF series cases have and a power source like the cooler master silent pro. that or water cooling is probably your best bet if you cant have the pc in the next room
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
but a hole in my room to another room would make my room much less sound isolated, and i live with my family and it's a must have.
As mentioned above, water cooling is the way to go if you want a totally silent PC. I did this for my recording room. If you use a good enough radiator in the loop, you can run it passive (without fans). All I can hear when my pc is turned on is a *very* quiet hum from the water pump which is inaudible unless my head is right next to it. I also happen to be running my PC on an open bench chassis, if you had it in a good quality soundproofed case you wouldn't hear a thing.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by dany_100
my room is a solid concrete

Quote by dany_100
a hole in my room to another room would make my room much less sound isolated

I can't begin to wut hard enough at this thread. Do you have any form of treatment whatsoever in there or is it just concrete walls spewing out dirty, uncontrolled room tone everywhere?
Quote by Kikuta
I can't begin to wut hard enough at this thread. Do you have any form of treatment whatsoever in there or is it just concrete walls spewing out dirty, uncontrolled room tone everywhere?

Quote by dany_100
i have a sound proof door with good isolation all around it.

Methinks you two have totally different definitions of treatment. Kikuta is thinking of treatment as "stuff to make your room not sound like ass" and dany is thinking of "stuff to make sure no noise gets in or out".
Replace your PC fans with a water cooling system/heatsink.

Probably wont be silent still.

But it will be quieter.

You can pick up loads of those square foam acoustic panels/bass traps/etc for not too much to help with the room acoustics.

Why does it have to be silent. Just position mics correctly so the polar pattern blocks noise from behind.
Quote by dany_100
but my room is a solid concrete, i couldn't do it. any more small tips?

my friend.