Poll: did you grow out of punk?
Poll Options
View poll results: did you grow out of punk?
yeah, i did grow out of it. don't listen to it much anymore
45 17%
no, that some poseur sh*t. you were never a real punk to begin with
9 3%
No..I was never really a fan
63 24%
realize punk is just music, not a political movement so you don't have to grow out of anything
90 35%
go f*ck yourself OP! I'm a punk 'till I'm six feet under!
21 8%
punk is for the youth
5 2%
man, f*ck punk! its all about metal d0000d *shreds*
26 10%
Voters: 259.
Page 1 of 3
a few years ago it seems punk was all i listened to, but nowadays i've moved onto to other genres. I still listen to a lot of punk-inspired stuff (imo what came after punk was much better), but punk never really lived up to my expectations of what it could be. it became the very thing it originally railed against. punk is really just a scene for idealistic youths...do you really know any 40+ punks? you grow out of that shit..
never really into it
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I still like it, I just don't listen to it as much anymore

Edit: I'm like you TS, I picked up on the stuff that came afterward and developed out of it. But I never considered myself a "punk", I just liked the music, so I really didn't grow out of it, since never thought I was a part of it.
Last edited by IommiPage at Sep 14, 2011,
I've never considered myself a "punk", even though I used to listen to a bit of it back in the day.

I still throw on Minor Threat, The Exploited, Discharge etc every now and again for a spin though.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I still listen to punk (although i'm 18 so i'm still a teenager) but i never have and never will consider myself A punk. You don't have to wear leather and have a mohawk to listen to the music, neither do you have to subscribe to any of the political ideals.
I've never really listened to much punk, i enjoyed Green Day when i was younger, and still like their older stuff, but i've never considered myself a punk, nor did i listen to the sex pistols/ramones, etc. just because i thought i should. I do see some people who are in their 20s who are immersed in the punk movement, which is fine but when their attitude is shitty and obnoxious, i can't stand it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I on the other hand, hated punk without even listening to it. Then when I heard some Sex Pistols, I was like "hey this is pretty good."

People who hate punk just coz its easy to play are retarded.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
I actually just got into it. When that new pop-punk wave came about in the mid-late nineties, I hated it (Green Day, Blink-182, etc.) However, I've recently been getting into some of the older punk bands like Bad Religion, Cockney Rejects, Anti-Flag, U.S. Bombs (they're slightly newer), and my personal favorites, Screeching Weasel. I'm not really a "punk", but I do enjoy the hardcore/melodic bands from the early 1980's.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Punk is so easy to play, that's exactly why I got into punk. Who doesn't like Green Day, Blink 182 and Sum 41 (Early albums only, later are more bitch rock!)
I liked some of the music, so suffice to say I grew out of it, but the positive sides of the ethic (DIY mainly) I still have.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by institutions
I listen to folk punk all the time, and I enjoy the ideals.
You don't have to have spiked-up green hair to be a punk.

(Almost 20, btw.)

Folk Punk? You better have Frank Turners "Campfire PunkRock" EP.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I literally don't know any punk bands outside of Rancid. I like them though.
Last edited by Kamikaze1014 at Sep 14, 2011,
I grew into it, starting with post punk bands like Joy division and moving onto American hardcore like Minor threat and Black Flag. I think most of us have very different ideas of what exactly punk is anyway. I really hope this thread doesn't turn into 40 pages of people arguing over their perceptions of punk.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
I've listened to the Ramones, the Sex Pistols and some newer stuff like Anti-Flag when I was younger, nowadays I still like em but hardly listen to them.
...marmalade is my jam.
Yeah Ive always loved punk especially the high speed stuff like Dead Kennedys, minor threat and the casualties, I also love the stuff which sits on the border of garage rock and punk like the stooges and the New York Dolls
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I really hope this thread doesn't turn into 40 pages of people arguing over their perceptions of punk.
It always does.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
It always does.

Yup. "WATCHO MEAN SUM 41 AREN'T PUNK?"
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
I'm likely older than most forum members and I recall well when Punk "hit". I was never impressed... Of course, I'm primarily from a "roots" music background, primarily acoustic.
I know the movement made a big impression; I was a big Fleetwood Mac fan at the time and recall that Lindsey Buckingham was very taken with punk and a lot of the material he put on Tusk was punk-influenced. (I didn't like it...)
The thing that turned me off was the lack of musicianship. I recall someone stating that the ideal was to be that someone walking down the street just happened to pick up a guitar and started playing it with no training at all.
That didn't have any appeal to me....
Quote by IommiPage
But I never considered myself a "punk", I just liked the music, so I really didn't grow out of it, since never thought I was a part of it.

this.

I still like a bit of punk. I've never been hugely into it, but I've always really liked it.
I like Punk Rock and always will.
But then, these bands are what I'd consider punk/pop-punk; NOFX, Strike Anywhere, Bad Religion, Smoke or Fire, Against Me, Hot Water Music, None More Black, etc
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I grew out of it, and then I grew back into some of it.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Never was a huge fan of punk

I do seem to over-glorify genres when I first listen to them though, then they slowly fall into the rest of the long list of genres that become "everyday music" material.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Was never really into it. I do like pop-punk bands like Green Day and Sum 41 though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Page 1 of 3