Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new amp for my Ibanez RG320FM. At the moment I have a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt and well... it's not great, when I bought it, it cost me around £120. I mainly play metal and rock but would like quite a versatile amp that will have a good sound for metal and rock, but also able to reproduce a good clean and warm tone for when I feel like doing some more finger picking stuff, which I do occasionally.

My budget is around £300 - £500. The amp does not need to be incredibly loud, I don't go out gigging or anything like that, so it's mainly for use in my bedroom.

What would you recommend?

(P.s I've been playing for around 5 or 6 years but essentially, I'm a guitar noob. I don't know anything about equipment really, so any other useful tidbits of information would be helpful, also, any other must have equipment suggestions, would be great, thanks).
Do you tend to play with others at all? More specifically, a drummer? Also, name some bands who's tones you enjoy/wouldn't mind basing your tone off of/you play. Other than that, you supplied us with some good info.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Do you tend to play with others at all? More specifically, a drummer? Also, name some bands who's tones you enjoy/wouldn't mind basing your tone off of/you play. Other than that, you supplied us with some good info.

Nah, I don't ever really play with people. I'm too shy! I just prefer to put some music on some speakers and then play along to that.

With regards to bands whose tone I like/play...hmmm..it varies a lot. I know quite a few Metallica songs but I wouldn't especially say I would love their tone, I don't think metal bands are the best place to look to for tone! But since I do play metal, I would like an amp that would be able to kick out a lot of distortion in order to play things like Sodom, Kalmah, Satyricon, Lamb of God etc. I do love Iron Maiden's lead tones as well, they have some great sounds. Dream Theater have amazing tone as well, I do believe John Petrucci uses Mesa Boogie, which are mega expensive.

The lead tone on Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin is to die for, I really don't think I'd be able to get close to that either though, not just because of my amp but also because I doubt an Ibanez would be able to really get close to a vintage Led Zeppelin sound, but that's the kind of solo stuff I'd also like to be able to play. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits as well, love that sound. So if I could find an amp that is able to produce a good metal sound but also a warm lead and decent cleans.. and rock crunch that would be great.

It's perhaps a lot to ask for something so versatile. Are many amps able to go from playing Death Metal to warm lead and clean, then back to a crunch rock sound?
Im selling my Line 6 Flextone III. it is a 1x12 combo amp and 75w solid state. so basically good for home practice but can be used next to a drummer incase u want to jam. Its on craigslist for $375 but i can move down to $350 (however that calculates into punds or euros) for a special UG price. quick details: it has a bunch of great models by line 6 (not a selling pitch, these are some of their best models) and it can definately handle all of your genres. pay for shipping and ill send it over

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/2597547312.html
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
if you've already had a modeler there is no need to go back to one. check out some jet city and blackstar amps. jet city is gonna have that hot rodded marshall sound with nice cleans as well. in the wear of blackstar i'd check out just about anything over the ht-5. search for maybe an ht-20 combo or something along those lines
at that kind of budget, there's going to be some compromise regarding some of the tones if you need that level of versatility.

if you're willing to compromise a bit on the higher gain tones, maybe the traynor ycv50b on thomann (~£400 depending on the exchange rate).

for better higher gain tones but more compromise on the lower gain tones, maybe the peavey 6505+ 112 or some of the bugeras (haven't tried the bugeras, or the new chinese-built 6505+).

they're tube, so I'm assuming you can turn them up enough for them to start sounding good. They don't need to be cranked to 10 to start sounding good, but if you're playing at whisper volume so as not to wake a baby in the next room, then you might need to rethink the tube thing. But if you can get it up to a half decent volume at all, then tube is normally the way to go. IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
at that kind of budget, there's going to be some compromise regarding some of the tones if you need that level of versatility.

if you're willing to compromise a bit on the higher gain tones, maybe the traynor ycv50b on thomann (~£400 depending on the exchange rate).

for better higher gain tones but more compromise on the lower gain tones, maybe the peavey 6505+ 112 or some of the bugeras (haven't tried the bugeras, or the new chinese-built 6505+).

they're tube, so I'm assuming you can turn them up enough for them to start sounding good. They don't need to be cranked to 10 to start sounding good, but if you're playing at whisper volume so as not to wake a baby in the next room, then you might need to rethink the tube thing. But if you can get it up to a half decent volume at all, then tube is normally the way to go. IMO.

How loud are we talking? I don't particularly want to start annoying everyone in my house and I do live in a row of houses, so I don't want to be annoying neighbours a lot either.
(in my opinion/experience) you're normally talking low to mid 80s dB level... so not rock gig loud or anywhere close, but a fair bit louder than normal tv volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recommend a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I second the Vypyr suggestion. you can get a great modern metal tone, then flip it to the Twin model with the Tubescreamer effect and have instant "since i've been loving you" tone. I know because i just learned it last week haha. There are some good suggestion here but honestly i think you will enjoy it. MUCH higher quality than the line 6 amp you have. If volume is an issue, maybe check out the SS line like a 30. could still do most of what you want and will easily be in your budget. but if you can, go for the tube version
Quote by Offworld92
I recommend a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

Quote by shecter guy
I second the Vypyr suggestion. you can get a great modern metal tone, then flip it to the Twin model with the Tubescreamer effect and have instant "since i've been loving you" tone. I know because i just learned it last week haha. There are some good suggestion here but honestly i think you will enjoy it. MUCH higher quality than the line 6 amp you have. If volume is an issue, maybe check out the SS line like a 30. could still do most of what you want and will easily be in your budget. but if you can, go for the tube version

Thanks, I had a look at it and it does seem like quite a nice amp, seems to be very versatile which is just what I was hoping for and it's a decent price. I would like to take a look at a couple of other amps first though, because I do know there are *a lot* of amps out there and I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Do you have any other suggestions? The Peavey seems to be around the £300 mark, which is possibly at the lower end of my budget, is there anything in the £350-£500 range that would possibly be even better?
oh i agree, zep sounds awesome on an 18 watter, just he said he mainly played metal and the zep and stuff didn't seem to be the main priority
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh yeah. I confused the TS with another poster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
haha that happens me too. so many fairly similar threads
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i agree, zep sounds awesome on an 18 watter, just he said he mainly played metal and the zep and stuff didn't seem to be the main priority

Have you got any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far guys
not really other than the ones i already suggested.

maybe a laney gh if you can find one cheap (guitar guitar has a deal on the 100 watters). no separate clean channel, though you can dial it in to sound clean if you only need it occasionally.

the jet city distributor has some deals on ebay too. Haven't tried them, but might be worth a look too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not really other than the ones i already suggested.

maybe a laney gh if you can find one cheap (guitar guitar has a deal on the 100 watters). no separate clean channel, though you can dial it in to sound clean if you only need it occasionally.

the jet city distributor has some deals on ebay too. Haven't tried them, but might be worth a look too.

Thanks for your help! I think I've decided to go with the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, I've found it for £320, new, which seems like a good deal.

It's just so overwhelming trying to find an amp! There are so many, with so many different advantages/disadvantages and tones, that I just worrying I'm missing out on some hidden gem.
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?