Found a very good deal on a used rga121h-cdo, so it's on the way Now I know what stock Ibanez pickups are like and they just don't have the type of output I'm looking for. But I've also read that installing EMGs (81/60 pair) might need some routing of the pickup cavities. Anybody have some very specific knowledge of what would need to be done?

And yes, as someone who has used an EMG81 for over 20 years, I know the sacrifice I'd be making to dynamics.

Also open to higher output passive pups. Looking for something along the line of Metallica's tone from the Mercyful Fate medley from Garage Inc. BKP Warpig? BL 500? Dimarzio D-activator? The rga121h also didn't have the maple top, so it's all mahogany...so probably will be darker that the earlier rga121 models with the flame maple top.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
why don't you buy it, then see what they sound like, and if you don't like em, rip em out, ebay em and then throw in some BKP warpigs, i've heard they're excellent for the metallica sound, i've no personal experience with either pickup or guitar as i've got a strat and play blues so my opinion might be as useful as a chocolate teapot right now but if you want EMG's then i can imagine the p-up cavity would need to be made a little bigger, and a battery compartment thrown in there somewhere...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Why would you need to alter the body? All 6 string pickups are the same size.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I'm just going by posts on other forums for a couple years ago. Guess using a dremmel sanding drum to shave the EMGs will work. I'll have to see if one of the 3 distributors here in Canada sells single BKP pups.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs