Okay, now i know if ur purist, you should be playing dire straits with MK's clawhammer technique, but it frustrates me

i cant seem to look after the two hands when u have to control ur right ( by thumb and finger going at different times),

so i was wondering will playing sultans of swing live with a pick, can the tone be a big different with a pick?

The tone will be different: ALWAYS. But if you play it correctly no one will care about that since you are not Knopfler :p But really, just dont pick the strings to hard and you'll be fine
Last edited by blazing riff at Sep 14, 2011,
Given that you're likely to not be playing through the same stuff as Mark anyway and thus you're already compensating for that, I don't think anyone's going to notice that difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Who cares if the tone is not the same. As long as it is good no one will care.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I play Dire Straits stuff with a pick. You're not Mark Knopfler. Play it how you find easiest. I don't understand why people always want to get a song down to every last detail. Just play the song in your own way.
Just a tiny point, Mark knopfler doesn't use 100% clawhammer in the studio, he uses a pick for a lot of the parts.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Sep 14, 2011,
Any early Dire Straits music I've heard employs a rhythm guitar in addition to MK's lead. On "Dire straits", it happens to be MK's brother David. I doubt if he's using "claw hammer" to get his point across.

Knopfler's playing tends to be a bit intermittent anyway, so it could be argued that the overall rhythmic feel of "Sultans of Swing", can't be totally attributed to him anyway.

Anyhoo.....there's a fair amount of compression applied to MK's Strat, which adds a bit of pop, in and of itself.

Besides, thumb and 2 finger picking technique is ideal for converting to pick and 2 finger picking style anyway. In other words, you don't really have to put down the pick to play many of Mark's riffs.

That only leaves you with a slight difference in tonality between bare thumb, and the, (now picked), thumb part.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by direstraits80
Okay, now i know if ur purist, you should be playing dire straits with MK's clawhammer technique, but it frustrates me

i cant seem to look after the two hands when u have to control ur right ( by thumb and finger going at different times),

so i was wondering will playing sultans of swing live with a pick, can the tone be a big different with a pick?

The tone WILL be different. But you don't have to play the way Mark Knopfler or anyone else plays it. Use a pick if it's easier for you.

Hope This Helped,
If there are guitarists in the audience then yes, they will (or at least should) notice the difference. Knopflers control of dynamics is great and a lot of that stems from the fact that he doesn't use a pick. That said, it's quite possible to mimic those dynamics with a pick but it's harder. There are certain sections where you should use hybrid picking (some fills in the first verse at least).

Obviously, you can do whatever you want. The subtle use of dynamics contributes to the spacy sound of the song. With a pick it will most probably sound different, but I don't think anyone really cares.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by direstraits80

I love that tune. Help me out.. whats the clawhammer technique? Does it require finger nails that are stupid long?
he of tranquil mind
fishmike. its not neccesarily a full clawhammer technique, mark knopfler used it as a foundation then alterenated it to suit his sound, MK's technique is basically this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-1iExLXKI

may look easy enough, but i can barely do it for money for nothing, but impossible on sultans of swing. ha