I was wondering how good you would say you have to be before looking at starting a band and being a rhythm guitarist? I know a lot of people say things like this are down to choice but what kind of things should you be good at to start playing live
Depends on what you want to play, but the problem will probably be to find a band anyway, it isnt easy as a guitarist.
well, first of all you need a band and you need to know songs before you can think about playing live
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
First find people for your band, chances are that you will go through a lot of them before finding the right person for your band. If you want to play hypertechnical stuff than I would say you'd better know how to play your instrument, if you just want to make music you'll learn along the way. The best way to improve your playing is by practising and joining a band.
you should be able to play songs fully without making mistakes (mistakes happen, they always will but it shouldnt be eggregious), you should be able to play it backwards with your eyes closed and not have to play along with a song.

example: if you are in a cover band you should be able to play sweet home alabama without playing along with the recording of the song. know all the parts etc as a ryhtym guitarist
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
First off when you start a band find people you actully like, find simmilar music interest. Id sujgest like 60-80's music like AC/DC, Pink FLoyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. etc.
Timing, Timing and oh yeah...timing.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Diorules666
First off when you start a band find people you actully like, find simmilar music interest. Id sujgest like 60-80's music like AC/DC, Pink FLoyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. etc.

I'd say you don't even need similar tastes. Makes the end product and the process more fun. In my uni band, I brought in metal and hard rock, the singer and one guitarist brought in a very indie influence, the other guitarist more alt/punk rock and electronica and the drummer was a big mod. Was ace. All you need is a desire to play with others.
bad question. get into a band asap, it will help you improve in many ways.