Hey, guys..
After playing the guitar for few years I decided to get a bass to learn it and play, too.
Anyway, what bass guitar would you recommend for ~200$?
I'd mostly play Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and Black Sabbath.
Thanks!
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
get a schecter... decent but not too expensive
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Cuz Jackson basses are shit.

That's why.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Cuz Jackson basses are shit.

That's why.
and what brought you to that conclusion?
Quote by amimbari
and what brought you to that conclusion?

Simple facts?

They play terribly, they sound terrible and are just generally shite. I have never played a Jackson bass that was worth the price tag they put on the things.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 14, 2011,
Get something with a P or P/J setup, that'll cover Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica and Sabbath pretty well basically the same thing as what those guys are using, will work for Slayer too, not 100% what Tom used before he got into ESP but it was probably something similar. For that budget, I'd say go an Affinity Precision or Jazz bass from Squier, or go second hand and try to pick up a special or something.
Well; you've got a few P-bass players there, so a Squier VM Precision Bass should serve you well:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Ok! Thanks guys, I'm gonna look them all up.
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
Quote by ChemicalFire
Simple facts?

They play terribly, they sound terrible and are just generally shite. I have never played a Jackson bass that was worth the price tag they put on the things.
The cost of Jackson practically giving me the units was not part of my attraction to them and for many years in the 90's and 2000's they were still overpriced gumby-head junk with weak electronics that DO sound like shit. ( you must have had some trials with the CMJ series because I totally agree )

I have exclusively used the late1980's USA/Jacksons and JAP/Charvels for recording and live gigs and never had an issue with the 2 dozen or so I have owned in 20 years, but it's like any other unit...it will work for some, and not for others and that is why we have so many companies to choose from cheap to $$$$.

and andreww1996 a GSR200? I had one of those, never liked the phat pre so I removed it and tossed a normal 2bander in it with a rail j-pickup to get rid of the hum. once that happened it was a very nice for a 50 dollar used bass.
ESP's are always good! Can be quite cheap but decent tone and build quality!
honestly, there really is no "bass for metal" unless you're going for the look of it. Fenders and Squiers can do just fine, Yamahas, Musicmans, whatever. It's more about your personal preferences in tone as to what bass you get.
It honestly doesn't matter. Buuuuttt an active bass helps a lot for more modern tones.

Passive bass, especially a P bass will get you a Geezer Butler tone usually.

What's more important is your cab and your EQ.

a 410 or 810 for fast metal. The smaller speakers move more air and have faster and tighter response than a pair of fat 15s. If you're shopping for cabs make sure they are sealed cabs and made of plywood, not shitty particle board.

Your biggest issue will be cutting through the wall of guitars. So usually (dependent on how the guitar EQs) you want to focus on low midrange around 120hz - 220HZ and the high midrange "clank" around 1.2Khz. By itself it will sound like shit but in the mix it's ok.

But when it comes to the bass itself. Get one that makes you FEEL metal, one that makes you feel like you're going to raise the dead when playing it.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Sep 19, 2011,
Squier P bass, Black Pickguard. How are you planning on amplifying this? if you don't have a bass amp or cab, you need an amp and more $$ first

Edit: 8x10's are don't make it metal, its all preference Al Cisneros uses a 4x15, and I use 2 1x15's and he has a good metal tone I wager, and I like to think I do. 8x10's are a nice cab, but just an option, as well as overkill for another guitar player bass dabbler looking to spend $200.
Last edited by askrere at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by TheTortured
www.rondomusic.com

^****ing great instruments for so cheap

If you live in America... which OP doesn't?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Buying an SX bass from Rondo and paying $100 shipping is still cheaper than buying an SX bass from the local shop.
Rondo basses are garbage compared to their guitars. I would get a used Schecter, personally.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you live in America... which OP doesn't?

I've bought two guitars from there and neither do I.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I know living in the UK the import tax kills any saving I would ever make from buying from Rondo. *shrug*

Quote by DisarmGoliath