I feel really stupid asking this, but is it ok to take all the strings off at once when you change them? My old guitar teacher from like 5 years ago told me to always take the strings off one at a time and replace that string before taking off the next one to keep tension on the neck, but I always see people taking all the strings off at once and I really want to clean my fretboard. Is it just a matter of adjusting the truss rod after you change them? Sorry for the stupid question
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I feel really stupid asking this, but is it ok to take all the strings off at once when you change them? My old guitar teacher from like 5 years ago told me to always take the strings off one at a time and replace that string before taking off the next one to keep tension on the neck, but I always see people taking all the strings off at once and I really want to clean my fretboard. Is it just a matter of adjusting the truss rod after you change them? Sorry for the stupid question

In my experience, it's perfectly safe to just take them all off at once.
Makes it a lot easier to clean the fretboard, too.
It's fine unless you've got a double locking trem in which case the whole process is much easier if you change them one at a time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So I don't have to worry about anything? It will be fine without any tension on the neck for a minute or whatever?
I hate my sig
You can take them off all in one go; it's just harder to get the new ones in tune.
Don't mess with the truss rod if you don't have to. It's really only going to be needed after years of uneven tension or a bad fall on the ground.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Nope. It's easier to change them one at a time, but you certainly won't hurt anything.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Strat007
Nope. It's easier to change them one at a time, but you certainly won't hurt anything.

Why's it easier one at a time? I would think the opposite
I hate my sig
If you're talking about the Epi Les Paul you have listed on your profile then you'd probably be better off doing them one at a time, that'll make sure that the bridge stays on and in the right place and everything else.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by QuantumMechanix

im really not sure where the idea of doing one string at a time came from. its fine to take them all off. and as you pointed out, you want to clean the fretboard so obviously you have to take the strings off for that.

ive seen many professional techs take all the strings off, clean the board and then put new strings on. the tension from the truss rod isnt going to be so much that it will bend the board the other way if the strings arent on. in fact it probably wont move much at all. ive never really seen much difference. besides, you can buy replacement necks and obviously they dont have strings on and often guitar get shipped with the strings slack.

you CAN have neck damage if you leave your guitar lying around without strings. ive seen guitars get warped necks from that. but i doubt it was only because of the lack of strings. but that takes a while to happen. taking your strings off for like 20 mins to change strings and clean the board wont do anything.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're talking about the Epi Les Paul you have listed on your profile then you'd probably be better off doing them one at a time, that'll make sure that the bridge stays on and in the right place and everything else.

Nope I sold that. Everything on my profile is crazy old. I'm playing a Schecter ATX now.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Nope I sold that. Everything on my profile is crazy old. I'm playing a Schecter ATX now.

Well if it has the same kind of bridge then same things apply but I think it's string through if I remember rightly so there's nothing to worry about at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I always take off all the strings, it's easier to clean the fretboard. If you have a Floyd Rose guitar you shouldn't really do it though, unless you block the bridge first.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
So I don't have to worry about anything? It will be fine without any tension on the neck for a minute or whatever?

I've left some guitar necks completely off the guitar for years, and when I went to put them back on, perfectly straight, didn't have to adjust anything.

Depends on the guitar, bolt on neck guitars, it's perfectly ok to leave no strings on for quite a while, set necks, maybe not as long, and neck thru you should do within an hour of taking the strings off, just cause you don't want anything to happen if anything does happen.