OK so I've been serious about guitar for 3-4 years now and im at the spot where the pentatonic and major scale are not cutting it anymore (aeolian is still fun) and i would like to start writing my own stuff.

I can tap fairly decent sweeps sound horrible but i can still do them im trying to learn the crazy train solo seeing as how learning songs is the only way i can get better but besides getting my playing level better i want to get better at composing and playing across the neck. I dont now if a better guitar would be helpful its seems that it might be helpful but its not an option at the moment and i have a decent guitar as it is. i just need help in being able to play play not monkey see monkey do but actually playing if you catch my drift.

PS i love southern metal like the showdown and Djent
Learn some theory and don't play scale "boxes" play the scale by knowing what notes to play.

Musictheory.net
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Ok so my ear is probably better than most guitarists ears music runs in my family.
So musictheory.net is good?
I should have put in the first comment that what I'm looking to do is have the ability to sit down and listen to a jam and improv solo across the whole fretboard and not necessarily shredding but like Steve via or satch or MAB or Santana and Clapton.
I will listen to all your advice though seeing as they are excellent suggestions except I can't really get a band together tried it and it failed miserably :WALDO:
Quote by goldleadr
Ok so my ear is probably better than most guitarists ears music runs in my family.

Answer me this:

If I play you a lick, how long will it take you to duplicate it - assuming you're NOT looking at my hands when I play.

If I play you a chord progression, can you identify it?
Thought I would just share this with you guys

Quote by rocker222
learn smoke on the water, and stairway to heaven. then go to a guitar center. plug in a real nice prs guitar into a marshal. play that smoke on the water rift over and over again for four hours with the volume as loud as you can get it. when they finally cant take it anymore; walking up very slowly to you with hate in their eyes. change the guitar song instantly to that other guitar song you learned called stairway to heaven.
Learn theory. That is literally the ONLY place for you to go in order for you to improve your playing
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
THERE'S LEVELS???!!!!

I can't add anymore help... learning theory, and open up your music taste. Write. And look for a band.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Learning to write, like anything else, takes practice. Keep trying. You're going to write a bunch of crap, but that's OK. The more you write, the better you get. Take those crap songs and figure out why they're crap. Monotonous? No direction? Boring melody? Mistakes will teach you much, much more than succeeding ever could.

Oh, and use sentences. Reading your initial post was like listening to someone talk for an hour without taking a breath. I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi; I honestly think that your ideas and meaning would become much clearer through better construction.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Learning to write, like anything else, takes practice. Keep trying. You're going to write a bunch of crap, but that's OK. The more you write, the better you get. Take those crap songs and figure out why they're crap. Monotonous? No direction? Boring melody? Mistakes will teach you much, much more than succeeding ever could.

Oh, and use sentences. Reading your initial post was like listening to someone talk for an hour without taking a breath. I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi; I honestly think that your ideas and meaning would become much clearer through better construction.

haha yeah sentences help. i was just in a hurry to get the thread up and didnt have time to proof read.
Quote by goldleadr
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck

Yes I just quoted myself...
Quote by goldleadr
OK so I've been serious about guitar for 3-4 years now and im at the spot where the pentatonic and major scale are not cutting it anymore (aeolian is still fun) and i would like to start writing my own stuff.

I can tap fairly decent sweeps sound horrible but i can still do them im trying to learn the crazy train solo seeing as how learning songs is the only way i can get better but besides getting my playing level better i want to get better at composing and playing across the neck. I dont now if a better guitar would be helpful its seems that it might be helpful but its not an option at the moment and i have a decent guitar as it is. i just need help in being able to play play not monkey see monkey do but actually playing if you catch my drift.

PS i love southern metal like the showdown and Djent

What are your options for private lessons?

Much of what you are wanting to learn we teach through the Academy, but I am not sure yet if you'd be a good candidate as we don't really accept people based on what they can sweep or do technically - those are a function of correct form and consistent slow practice which brings muscle memory. What we do is teach the other areas that you mentioned and how to play with understanding.

Also I don't have a firm hold on why it needs to happen "soon". Can you shed some light on that?

I couldn't tell you if you need a better guitar or not, as I cannot personally examine it however I could possibly help you to spot if there are any problems. I can tell you first hand if you have a difficult guitar your progress and development will be severely constrained.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me here (PM) through my profile. At first glance I see some possibilities, but I also have some concerns as well, that I'd want to iron out and make sure we are on the same page before I could offer you any solid recommendations.

Best,

Sean
Wr I mean by soon I that I'm reaching a level of what you might call frustration to the point where it's a "chore" to play because I'm not getting closer to my goals
Quote by goldleadr

Quote by goldleadr
Wr I mean by soon I that I'm reaching a level of what you might call frustration to the point where it's a "chore" to play because I'm not getting closer to my goals

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards. Helped me through high school...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Two things made a HUGE difference for me:

1) training my ear: I'd sit down, put a CD on and play along. Some days it would be Guns n Roses, other days Motley Crue, and the occasional pop song. Figure out as much of the song as possible, and then rinse and repeat on the next song. Each time you do it, you'll get faster.

2) playing with other people: I grew up in church, so I was playing in the church band pretty quickly (I gave church/religion up a while ago now though). It gave me a really good set of lessons in playing on stage and playing with other people.

Another thing I used to do was open up a music program like Fruity Loops and set up a cool drum beat. Then I crank the axe and start jamming on riffs. I found it was a great way to write.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Yeah I know from personal experience that plating "live" helps drastically that's how I got to where I am now but unfortunately that's no longer an option. I love playing for audiences of 20-30+ people is where I really start to kick back and jam but like u said that's not an option at the moment. I going to have to try some more ear training. I have tried before but I just can't seem to find easy songs I think I'll start a thread on songs for ear training and post the link here so as to keep it fresh and keep threads on topic!
Quote by goldleadr