Page 1 of 2
We just watched this video in our Thermal Design course.

A Crude Awakening (its available on youtube in 10 min segments if you want to watch it)

its really eye opening about how screwed we are regarding oil and how it has been over exploited and oil use is still increasing.

key points: (big post)

Reserves:
-OPEC allows a certain production of oil regarding a countries % of their reserves based on the % of the total worlds reserves, due to this countries changed their total reserve count in the 70's and 80's to allow a certain quota. However the reserve amounts have not changed since. [Daily extraction of oil takes place, reserves stay the same, mathematically makes no sense]

facts:
-oil is on the verge of a production peak, if it already has not occured, and will have occured within the next 5 years.
-every location of the earth relies on oil nowadays, 30 years ago this was not the case and there were areas of earth with no oil reliance.
-human population that can be sustained without oil present is estimated at 1-2 billion (the population of india is >1billion and the current population of earth is estimated around 7billion)
-the US uses 25% of oil and has 2% of the worlds reserves
-easy to produce oil has peaked and on the decline, dirty oil (requires heavy amounts of resources to produce) is on the increase, such as ethanol and tarsands, ethanol is estimated to use 3x the amount of oil to produce it, than is extracted for use.
-india and china are just starting to expand and their oil consumption is exponentially increasing, people want cars and the western living style, companies are booming and cities are expanding.

Alternate energy sources:

-Hydrogen fuel cell (what everyone tends to bank on for the future) will not be technologically feasible for an estimated 30-50 years.
-To produce enough energy from nuclear plants to be equivalent to the daily use of oil, 20 000 power plants would have to be constructed and the uranium fuel would be depleted within 10-20 years.
-Wind produces far too little energy to be viable
-The sun produces 20 000 times the energy of the oil use daily, but solar power plants are only 10% efficient and very expensive to produce, also heavily relying on sunny days and back up generators incase of clouds

tl;dr; oil

What do you think of oil and the future?

inb4 "its a conspiracy"
As it took many people to finally accept global warming, its time to accept that oil is peaking and prices will continue to increase.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Sep 14, 2011,
surprised you didn't mention dirt oil being from Canada and all (i believe Canada has the most in the world)

although its not the most efficient as it is expensive to get usable oil from it

EDIT: I didn't watch the video as I need to leave for class soon, but I attended a big global warming event that turned into an oil circle jerk for one of my classes once lol
Last edited by FireHawk at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
we can cuddle to keep warm
we can eat eachother
heat+wood=fire

we'll survive

i know your post is a joke but 7bill relying on wood for heat would deplete the forest and jungles in no time whatsoever

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Is that the movie with the one dude in the room who dramatically smokes like 19 cigarettes and is supposed to be a documentary but is clearly rehearsed and scripted to the T?

Yeah, some of the shit that guy says is absolutely laughable.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by axethrower13
Is that the movie with the one dude in the room who dramatically smokes like 19 cigarettes and is supposed to be a documentary but is clearly rehearsed and scripted to the T?

Yeah, some of the shit that guy says is absolutely laughable.

hmm nope

multiple speakers including the former OPEC secretary-general

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO

Unobtainium... it's the only way...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by JimmyBanks6
hmm nope

multiple speakers including the former OPEC secretary-general

Oh, I see.

Turns out I was thinking of Collapse. Watch that if you're interested in Oil supply and shit. Most of it is pretty far-fetched imo, though.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Alternate energy sources:

-Hydrogen fuel cell (what everyone tends to bank on for the future) will not be technologically feasible for an estimated 30-50 years.
-To produce enough energy from nuclear plants to be equivalent to the daily use of oil, 20 000 power plants would have to be constructed and the uranium fuel would be depleted within 10-20 years.
-Wind produces far too little energy to be viable
-The sun produces 20 000 times the energy of the oil use daily, but solar power plants are only 10% efficient and very expensive to produce, also heavily relying on sunny days and back up generators incase of clouds

I have a strange idea: why not co-use solar and wind energy. Ocean energy might also be a good idea.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TheAbsentOne
But that's.. Unobtainable..

Hush mate, keep it on the DL. I'm tryna make $10M/kilo off this shit. Can't let the secret out!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Biofuels mang. Cyanobacteria that feed off carbon dioxide and water, give off oxygen, and produce a clean(ish) fuel. This along with solar, wind, geothermal (in countries who can harness it), tidal (again), hydrogen (eventually), and anti-matter (eventually x 10). Combining them's really the only way.

Oh, and i did a research paper a few years ago on something that would bombard nuclear waste with neutrons to make it safe to dispose of in a normal manner. Finishing that would really help out the worlds energy problems.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Sep 14, 2011,
Why can't politicians get their act together anmd build a ****ton of wind farms/solar panels? if people object just ignore them as this is more important
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by teh_goon
Why can't politicians get their act together anmd build a ****ton of wind farms/solar panels? if people object just ignore them as this is more important

So in the face of uncertainty we should spend trillions? You can better wait, maybe there are better alternatives. Producion solar panels and wind farms isnt exactly CO2-free either.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jackintehbox
Why don't they make wind turbines out of solar panels?

Because a wind turbine does not face the right angle to optimize the solar panels efficiency. The efficiency of a solar panel is very low and that would decrease it even more.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I watched a documentary on TV about how hemp can be used for fuel, food, and many other things. This could be a viable option, at least for just co-use with oil. But I highly doubt that the government would allow this because, just like the electric car, this would cause them to lose money.

Shame.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
I watched a documentary on TV about how hemp can be used for fuel, food, and many other things. This could be a viable option, at least for just co-use with oil. But I highly doubt that the politicians elected by the general public would allow this because, just like the electric car, this would cause them to lose money.

Shame.

Fix'd
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Because a wind turbine does not face the right angle to optimize the solar panels efficiency. The efficiency of a solar panel is very low and that would decrease it even more.

Well okay then, Mr. negative poo. But surely they can just power wind turbines with fuel cells. There, crisis averted.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Well okay then, Mr. negative poo. But surely they can just power wind turbines with fuel cells. There, crisis averted.

Bitch, I would smoke you alive.

Wait wat?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Bitch, I would smoke you alive.

Wait wat?

I bet smoking me could power a whole city for a day.
Heres my idea that Im about to patent.

Tow giant solar panel arrays out into space. Geosynchronous orbit and shit. No clouds in space dog. You could do the same thing to grow produce

^Oils gonna run out eventually dog. Im SURE that this film skewed every statistic it possibly could, but the fact remains that oil is finite

Oh yea..."death of the electric car." check it out. These two scientists made a battery that could power a car for 150+ miles or something, and GE purchased the patent, crushed all the cars the battery was in, and has been sitting on it ever since
Last edited by chantastic at Sep 14, 2011,
Biofuels not derived from agricultural/food sources already exist and there's lots of active research into new sources through transgenic plants and refinements to existing methods (e.g. algae, aquatic microorganisms, methanogens). Couple this with continued increases in efficiency of wind turbines and solar panels and these renewable sources can be a non-insignificant source of future energy.

In terms of polymers derived from oil, plant-based polymers/plastics are becoming increasingly ubiquitous (I think Coke uses 30% plant-based plastic water bottles, at least in their bottled water line).
Quote by chantastic
Heres my idea that Im about to patent.

Tow giant solar panel arrays out into space. Geosynchronous orbit and shit. No clouds in space dog. You could do the same thing to grow produce

^Oils gonna run out eventually dog. Im SURE that this film skewed every statistic it possibly could, but the fact remains that oil is finite

Oh yea..."death of the electric car." check it out. These two scientists made a battery that could power a car for 150+ miles or something, and GE purchased the patent, crushed all the cars the battery was in, and has been sitting on it ever since

Not geosynchronous dude, that holds the satellite in place in the sky, meaning it will still go in and out of the sun.

What you want is something that rotates once per year such that it is always in sunlight every day of the year.

But then you have to deal with beaming the power back to the ground... blah blah blah.
Last edited by Trisonic77 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by Trisonic77
Not geosynchronous dude, that holds the satellite in place in the sky, meaning it will still go in and out of the sun.

What you want is something that rotates once per year such that it is always in sunlight every day of the year.

But then you have to deal with beaming the power back to the ground... blah blah blah.

You forget that you need to get the energy back to earth. Geosynchronicity is needed for that if you use microwaves.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You forget that you need to get the energy back to earth. Geosynchronicity is needed for that if you use microwaves.

Put a receiving station at each pole.
This in no way can replace oil or anything really but what about human powered generator?
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make a stationary bike that can power some stuff in the house. I know it probably wouldn't add up to a lot of energy but if the wind can do it...

If you're gonna exercise, might as well generate usable energy right?

Actually this is probably a bad idea as it takes a whole minute to get one of those shake/ wind up flashlights to go bright.

Honestly, Solar is the way to go. If we can get efficiency up it would be an amazing power source.
Day man
Fighter of the Night man
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
Last edited by yaaarp at Sep 14, 2011,
Well, we're fooked. It was a good run.

And why is it called "global warming?" Why not "earth toasting" or "climate snuggles?" It sounds much nicer and less sinister then "global warming."
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Better not run out any time soon, or I'll be out of a job
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
There's a massive amount of oil in Alberta (the Athabasca oil sands) which is one of the largest and richest oil sands in the world. In fact, Canada has the largest amount of oil deposits (12%), next to Saudi Arabia (18%). There hasn't been a lot of production from the Athabasca sands though, considering their size, due to environmental conservation and economical reasons. I'm OK with that, as I'm not a fan of oil at all. Of course, when resources get tight, Alberta will be pressured into draining that sucker until we're screwed and forced to move onto a better solution. Hopefully we'll have mastered Cold Fusion by then .
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Neo Evil11
So in the face of uncertainty we should spend trillions? You can better wait, maybe there are better alternatives. Producion solar panels and wind farms isnt exactly CO2-free either.

F*** yeah! This guy gets it. All this infrastructure is going to be needed at some point, so why waste quadrillions messing around for obscure oil reserves and THEN doing all the solar/wind stuff when that runs out? Cheaper to just cut to the chase in the long term, but because in the short term oil is cheaper, thats what people focus on.
Dude, where's my band?
Page 1 of 2