Hey guys, I'm looking to change my rig yet again and was just wondering if you could point me in the direction of anything I haven't thought of yet. Basically I'm looking for a new amp head. I've got around £650 max to play with, would prefer to spend around £550-£600, I'm only going used, never buying new again considering the stuff I buy used is generally in better condition than the floor models from shops.

I'm looking for a nice hard rock tone, specifically a nice thick saturated lead tone and I'd like it to be on the British side (so EL34's preferred). Tones I like are Mike Mccready from Pearl Jam (specifically the lead tone), Slash's tone with a bit less treble, and Neal Schon's tone, something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy54Td9Ur9Q

It needs to have:

- An FX Loop
- Full EQ
- 16 Ohms speaker out
- Master Volume
- Fair amount of gain on tap
- At least passable cleans

I would like it to have

- Two channels at least
- Reverb
- Over 30 watts

I'm not gigging at the moment but do occasionally and also like to jam. Some amps I've looked at are the Laney GH50/100L (Although lack of two channels isn't ideal but not a deal breaker) and the Jet City's but I'm stumped for ideas in this price range.

Thanks for any help.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Oh yeah sorry I'm in the UK by the way, so would prefer to not buy from the US to avoid tax etc.

I'll check out the VH100, heard good things about it but I'm not sure if it is too high gain/whether it has good enough crunch sounds (I want really good hard rock sounds, but would prefer better crunch/clean over full high gain, the highest gain I ever really play is a bit of early Metallica/Iron Maiden)
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Just a heads up. Guitarguitar have the laney gh100l at 499 right now. May be a mistake or a really good deal but yeah..
jet city would be a great choice. really great tone and should definitely do what your looking for
Quote by coolstoryangus
Just a heads up. Guitarguitar have the laney gh100l at 499 right now. May be a mistake or a really good deal but yeah..

+1

haven't tried the jet cities, they might be worth a look too.

or a vh100r. or maybe the new ironhearts (haven't tried them yet, and the fact they're so cheap compared to the gh and vh makes me a bit wary of them).

thomann has some good deals on some of the traynor stuff, might be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are hard to find(trust me) but if you can manage to spot one, used vh100rs go for about 700$. at least thats how much i got mine for
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by andrerist
jet city would be a great choice. really great tone and should definitely do what your looking for

I was very unimpressed by the JC stuff.....it might have been the speaker but they were
dark and dull IMO.
maybe a Thunder 30

2 channnels, 16 Ohm.... and enough gain on tap

OOPSSSS: just read the OP again.... So i suggest a EQ pedal + Thunder 30 head

They're AWSOME!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
The VH100R would certainly get enough crunch. That would be my choice if you can get one within budget.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The VH100R would certainly get enough crunch. That would be my choice if you can get one within budget.

Is the VH100R a step up from the GH series? All Laney's go dirt cheap in the UK, and they come up used often enough so I could get a Laney GH100L for around £250 and a VH100R for under £400 easily
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
i was under the impression (though i'd have to check the schematic) that the vh100r was basically a gh with an added clean channel (with its own f/s boost).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?