Page 1 of 2
http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/space_level2/activity/problems_space.html

Pretty interesting thing i did today in a management class i had. After much searching i found a working link online.
If you've got a few spare minutes it's a nice way to kill time.

Before anyone rages yes i realize none of us are going to ever be trapped on the moon..

Interestingly enough i believe this is in actual fact a survey that NASA astronauts had to do a few years ago, and they required a score of 10 or lower to pass.

So Pit, how well did you score?
Would you be dead in space if you were in this situation?

I managed to get 34. I'd be dead
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Oh good. I've always wanted to know if I would be able to survive on the moon.

Oh, the irony...
i got 105%. **** yeah!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I got 63. Not too bad.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

That was stupid. No offense. You can use .45 caliber pistols as a mean of self-propulsion, lol wut? And I wouldn't count on using a first-aid kit while you're in a space suit. Just to mention two examples.

I got 58 anyways.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 14, 2011,
I got 28. Some of them were rather arbitrary, like I lost points for assigning the two worthless objects in the wrong order etc.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
56, bye bye
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Quote by Kensai
That was stupid. No offense. You can use .45 caliber pistols as a mean of self-propulsion, lol wut?

Maybe if you shoot you oxygen tank?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Kensai
That was stupid. No offense. You can use .45 caliber pistols as a mean of self-propulsion, lol wut?

You could use them as a shitter type of flare gun.
Quote by darkcheef

We did this years ago in middle school science

I always read your user name as Darkqueef. Just wanted to let you know.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Maybe if you shoot you oxygen tank?

Wouldn't that explode? Or let's say it didn't, I don't think you'd get far.

Quote by vayne92
You could use them as a shitter type of flare gun.

You can use them to put a cap in a moon-redneck's ass, that's about it.
This test is bullshit.

Fifteen liters of water more important than a first-aid kit?

Water won't save you if you accidently landed on your penis.
Quote by Kensai
Wouldn't that explode? Or let's say it didn't, I don't think you'd get far.

it was just an idea.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
actually, after reading this, some of these were silly. they ranked a map as number 3, above food. i don't see how i need to be able to navigate to survive on the moon. and like Kensai said, the .45s? and they said solar powered heating units would only be useful on the dark side of the moon? if it's the dark side, how useful would solar powered devices really be?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Zeletros
This test is bullshit.

Fifteen liters of water more important than a first-aid kit?

Water won't save you if you accidently landed on your penis.

Aahahahahahaha.

I cried of lols.

EDIT: There's no gravity on the moon so it's not exactly possible to land on your penis, unless you go into the matrix.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777
actually, after reading this, some of these were silly. they ranked a map as number 3, above food. i don't see how i need to be able to navigate to survive on the moon.

Well you're never gonna be able to figure out where to go without a map, and you can last without food for a seriously long time, even though you'd get fatigued and become a zombie. At least you wont be a zombie without a map.
Quote by theogonia777
actually, after reading this, some of these were silly. they ranked a map as number 3, above food. i don't see how i need to be able to navigate to survive on the moon. and like Kensai said, the .45s? and they said solar powered heating units would only be useful on the dark side of the moon? if it's the dark side, how useful would solar powered devices really be?

It's no point having food if you don't know where the hell you're going. You can last a long time without food , so you're better off picking the map over the food if you can only take one.

Solar powered heating units are only good on the dark side, it's boiling on the daylight side. Essentially they're useless on the moon.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I got 26, it would have been 15 but evidently if you're on the light side of the moon a solar powered heating unit is not necessary.

Edit: It doesn't even indicate on the prompt what side of the moon you crash landed on.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Sep 14, 2011,
50 Ftw
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
I got 72 first try

It suggests I rely too having on Earth logic. Well no shit, test.

Big mistakes came from the heating device and food concentrate or something..

EDIT: Man autocorrect is terrible sometimes. I meant rely too HEAVILY. not even gonna change the original because I laughed at it.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 14, 2011,
34, average, survival is possible-ish. If you didn't get that 1 and 2 were oxygen and water, and that 15 was matches, the only entirely useless item on the list, then death shall certainly find you on the moon.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's no point having food if you don't know where the hell you're going. You can last a long time without food , so you're better off picking the map over the food if you can only take one.

Solar powered heating units are only good on the dark side, it's boiling on the daylight side. Essentially they're useless on the moon.

i don't imagine i'd be able to travel very far if i don't have anything to eat. i don't know how the lower gravity of the moon and weight of equipment would effect me, but if it was the same as on earth, i'd guess i could maybe cover 10 miles a day, if i had food that would take me a week. but i don't, so i'd probably be able to cover less and less distance a day. so unless that map includes directions to a nearby moon cafe, i'd imagine the food would be better for me anyway. it doesn't really matter or not if i know where i'm going if i can't get there.

and i realize that the solar powered heating unit is useless, i'm just wondering why they were saying it would be useful on the dark side of the moon.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't solar powered mean they charge in the sun but you can turn them on whenever you need them?

Quote by theogonia777
and i realize that the solar powered heating unit is useless, i'm just wondering why they were saying it would be useful on the dark side of the moon.

because the temperature on the dark side of the moon is about 200 degrees dipped below the temp on the bright side.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't solar powered mean they charge in the sun but you can turn them on whenever you need them?

not with calculators at least. I used to enjoy turning them off by putting my finger of the solar cell.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by laid-to-waste

Yes. Also I'm assuming that if you got 120 km to cover you're not going to do it so quick you'll always be on the sunny side, meaning you'll have to move on the dark side of the moon and you'll need that heater.
Quote by Kensai
That was stupid. No offense. You can use .45 caliber pistols as a mean of self-propulsion, lol wut? And I wouldn't count on using a first-aid kit while you're in a space suit. Just to mention two examples.

I got 58 anyways.

Newtonian laws of motion. Every force has a force equal in magnitude acting in the opposite direction. Same principle that allows shuttles to manoeuvre in outer-space.
Quote by laid-to-waste

what happens when they run out? are you just going to go back to the light side again?
Quote by vitchb
Newtonian laws of motion. Every force has a force equal in magnitude acting in the opposite direction. Same principle that allows shuttles to manoeuvre in outer-space.

I know the mechanics behind it, I just don't think it's going to get you far. If any distance at all.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
not with calculators at least. I used to enjoy turning them off by putting my finger of the solar cell.

i dunno why they'd be designed that way if they were being taken on a mission to the moon and is carried by the moonwalker. i'd assume it is meant for emergency seen as spaceships have temperature control. also, £0.60 calculators aren't exactly technologically parallel to what's taken on a spaceship.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by Kensai
I know the mechanics behind it, I just don't think it's going to get you far. If any distance at all.

The propulsion of the bullet would require oxygen for the small explosion in the chamber anyway, but you're right, the mass of the bullet is too little to really propel you anywhere.
Quote by Kensai

I think they'd work pretty well, there's quite a big back-fire force from a pistol. Jump up, fire the pistol and it would probably push you along reasonably far when there's no friction forces. Either that or kill hostile aliens
Last edited by vitchb at Sep 14, 2011,
Page 1 of 2