#1
hi people im havin some problems first i get shocked from my usb sound card i have a miditech guitarface 2. second i get shocked from my guitar strings bolts and almost any metal part on my guitar i checked out some other posts on the forum about shocking guitars but nothing helped it works properly on other soundcards and amps but not on mine and i cant afford to but a new one cause im broke and i dont know what to do. the usb cable was kind of loose and i thought that might be the reason it shocks, so i got a new one but it still shocks the heck outta me!
anyway i have a stratocaster if that helps in any kind of way.
can anybody help somehow?
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
#2
Electricity flows if the voltages are different when two things come in contact. Your guitar string bolts are a different voltage from you, so you get shocked. Chances are that your computer or soundcard or whatever voltage is "floating" and not grounded, but you are typically going to be near the same voltage as ground. So figure out why your computer or amp or whatever is not grounded (look for the third prong on the electricity connector).

Also, plug all the electronics (computer, guitar, amp, etc.) into the same surge protector. If you plug your computer into an outlet in your room and your guitar/amp into an outlet in the living room, you will have a ground loop (resistance in the ground return path), which can cause the ground voltages to be different. So make sure they are all plugged into the same surge protector.
#3
there all plugged to the same power strip but i cant understand whats going on. two days ago i didnt have that problem and if i did i just closed guitar rig for two minutes the no shocking and now nothing from the guitar. but i cant even touch the sound card
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
#4
Do all the electronics have the third prong in the center, connected to the power strip?
#6
no they all have just two prongs.
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
#7
Quote by winterXsolstice
sounds like something isn't grounded, try putting everything on a power strip

maybe the soundcard freakd'out
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
#8
Computers run on 5 volts, hardly enough to shock you. I think something else is up, like, you are not doing this process right...Why is your amp even in this picture? If you have an interface, your amp should not be connected to it in any way.
#9
Quote by ethan_hanus
Computers run on 5 volts, hardly enough to shock you. I think something else is up, like, you are not doing this process right...Why is your amp even in this picture? If you have an interface, your amp should not be connected to it in any way.

i dont have an amp, i use an old aiwa stereo. but i tried a 15 watt amp i still got shocked.
if i dont plug the jack in the card's output hole i get shocked and i dont get any sound not from the guitar neither from the pc like music or something.

i meen like the stereo's jack plugged to the pc's sound card and the usb soundcard with only the guitar plugged to it.
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
Last edited by mikethc at Sep 14, 2011,
#10
I don't understand...you shouldn't be getting shocked from the card, unless you installed it wrong. Two, your play back should be out of your soundcard to the stereo. Three, there is not enough voltage running though a computer to shock you though the guitar, you prolly did something wrong, and you are causing a short to power which is why you are getting enough voltage to shock you.

Rip it all out, and follow the instructions again when installing it.
#11
no they all have just two prongs.


This is your problem right here. You need to use cords with 3 prongs instead of 2.



The 3rd prong is the connection to earth, without it you will have voltages floating everywhere, thus you getting shocked.

Computers run on 5 volts, hardly enough to shock you. I think something else is up, like, you are not doing this process right...Why is your amp even in this picture? If you have an interface, your amp should not be connected to it in any way.


Computers run on many voltages, not just 5V.

The problem is the ground is floating, but yeah 5V won't shock you.
#13
the voltage here is up to 220. (oh btw the prungs here are round and the sockets have circular holes) not flat like the american one. so i went out i bought a new power strip with 3 prungs but the monstersound card continues to shock me.
i was thinking maybe i should take it apart but im afraid i might destroy it.
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute
#14
i tried it on a laptop and i got shocked.
i guess the only thing i can do is save some money and get some other cheap sound card some time in the future
Yesterday or last year were the same as a thousand years or a minute