Poll: Do you listen to extreme music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you listen to extreme music?
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuZvXNqjz98]Yes I do![/URL]
80 55%
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2KMkQLZmI]No I don't :([/URL]
66 45%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 4
I listened to Merzbow's Pulse Demon in it's entirety for the first time today, and it was one of the coolest 70 minutes of wiggly air I've ever gone through. Just pure, emotionless, unrelenting noise.

This got me thinking about other extreme forms of music. Your interpretation of "extreme" is up to you, but to give an example, I'd say Trout Mask Replica is an extreme-rock album, just because of how different it is from what bands were doing at the time. And if we're gonna go that route, we mine as well consider Lil B's based mixtapes (the Flame series, Bitch Mob) extreme forms of hip hop.

It's well documented what extreme metal is, so I won't discuss it here.

But the question remains, do you listen to extreme music?

Thanks to lushacrous for poll inspiration
Ever since that Seasonal Oreos thread everyone's gonna be putting links in polls now
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

That's the worst noise i've ever heard, and i really didn't think it could get much worse than mesuggah. That said it was strangly appealing
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Anyway, to contribute to the thread, if you wanna include Sunn O)) and ultraminimalist dark ambient as extreme, then yeah. Never was too fond of the noise genre though.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I very much enjoy Trout Mask Replica. It's my favorite of the good Captain's work. I also enjoy The Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". Most of the bands I like don't seem that extreme anymore, but a lot of what I like could be filed under noise-rock.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
That Merzbow shit was awful. I can't think of any legitimate reason to want to listen to that. I'd rather listen to a baby crying.
...That's music?

I know this makes me seem like a gigantic prick, but my ears are ringing from just twenty seconds of it - how is it at all musical?

I'm fine with weird, avant garde, out-there music, but there needs to be some semblance of something other than a tool developed to trick people into deafening themselves.

Again, I know I sound like a prick saying it, but that made what I thought was painful, headache-inducing music seem pleasant by comparison.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I listen to music that is extreme, extreme talent, unlike that.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Behold the Arctopus is pretty extreme.

People relentlessly call them one of the worst bands but their music is actually way better composed than most "contemporary" metal - meaning they're pretty much on the level of modern classical. It's just very different. I didn't find it catchy at all at first, but I was interested because it was so strange - now I actually find all of their stuff emotionally enjoyable.
I enjoy noise and drone, but I have to be in the right mood for it. I also enjoy more extreme metal music like Psyopus

I could happily listen to white noise like the Merzbow track as long as it isn't just the same sound with no variation whatsoever. I've come to find constant and abrasive sound comforting through just listening to it enough to enjoy the different textures in the music. It takes getting used to, and I hate most splittercore/extratone etc, but enjoy noise in small doses.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 14, 2011,
I'm not /m/usically inclined enough to listen to Merzbow.

EDIT: /mu/sically hurr
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by entity0009
Holy shit you can put URLs in polls?

whoa that is boss
Quote by due 07
I'm not /m/usically inclined enough to listen to Merzbow.

cool i love mecha too
I'd like to see a non Lil B related thread from you.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
That Merzbow actually sounded like my mum hoovering up and occasionally putting her hand over it to check it's working properly...
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'd say so, i like trout mask too so obviously that, also stuff like this could be considered 'extreme music'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcdVFu4hxNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_yJtIukRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZsCvABTX90&feature=related

edit: technically i've made some 'extreme music' in the past in files i have lying around on my computer but i don't really consider any of that much good , except for the radio thing
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 14, 2011,
I think the most extreme stuff I genuinely, legitimately like (as opposed to just finding it interesting or whatever) is Sunn O))), which is fairly 'extreme'.

EDIT: And I like a fair bit of No Wave stuff which was 'extreme' at its time.
This is such a hipster thread....

Anyway, if stuff like breakcore is considered extreme then yes, yes I do.
I try keeping an open mind with music, but what the serious **** was that Merzbow?
pinga
i like music that is extreme in a restrained fashion, such as metal. that Merzbow stuff was just not pleasant to me.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by StewieSwan
I was speaking of poll links.

Me too. had no idea you could do that and i actually thought that when I saw it :P
Quote by Duffman123
This is such a hipster thread....

Anyway, if stuff like breakcore is considered extreme then yes, yes I do.

Were you listening to extreme music before it got popular?
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Page 1 of 4