hey,alright so first thing is tone.
i got a power stack st-2 pedal and it looks like im going to be plugging directly into my guitar teachers p.a. with that. is that better then playing thru my vyper 30 amp? he recommended it.so let me know what you think.

next.im suppose to have a big solo in a eagles cover were doing "get over it" ill be playing over chorus progression that is d to f to g....i was thinking lots of d dorian.let me know what you think.

last but not least.tips for first gig? real nervous.its at a local festival.figured a few hundred people will be ther.

p.s. sorry for bad spelling/grammer.
How about playing in the style of The Eagles? Listen to the song and play something similar to what they do. Doesn't have to be exact, but I'll bet you can get it close. If you take off and do your own thing, it may not go over as well as playing something close to what was originally played.
thanks,i thought of that.only problem is guitar teacher is going through that section at the end like 4 or 6 times, the actually song go's thru only like twice..then he has like 4 or 6 bars for himself.so ill have to add obviously to fill what he wants me too.wich aint a hugh deal.i just dont want to totally bomb on stage.
Last edited by spookyguitar at Sep 14, 2011,
Just have fun, learn your part backwards and forwards, and pretty soon when your brain freezes up on stage your fingers won't. Besides you don't need your head to play, just a 6 string, a few fingers and a heart. Good Luck!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
From a sound point of view, the pedal straight into the PA might work, it might not, I'd take your amp along and try it out both ways in soundcheck and go with whatever works better.

As for the playing, I'd agree with KG6_Steven, don't stray too far from the original, just do what you need to put your own twist on it, if you start getting all modal and techie in an Eagles song, most Eagles fans are probably gonna screw up their nose and call you a wanker. When you're doing a cover, people want it to sound familiar, but not a direct rip-off.

If you're worried about the length of the solo, just remember to build it up, start off with longger held notes, some bends, slower phrases, then with each progression, get a little busier and don't blow the full bag of tricks till the very end. That was the advice my old teacher gave me before my first school concert thingy (was doing a similar thing to you but with "Bl;ack Magic Woman" by Santana) and it worked a treat. Also, don't do anything on stage that you're not 100% confident you can pull off. A lightning fast, technical flurry with even a small screw-up will never sound as impressive as a simpler phrase executed perfectly. Don't worry about trying to show off, just focus on playing smooth and relaxed.

Hope at least some of that was helpful man and all the best!

P.S. Got a quiet laugh out of the fact that you spelled grammar incorrectly in your apology for any bad spelling or grammar. I'm not having a dig at you, I just enjoyed the appropriateness.
Quote by Weybl Himself
From a sound point of view, the pedal straight into the PA might work, it might not, I'd take your amp along and try it out both ways in soundcheck and go with whatever works better.

As for the playing, I'd agree with KG6_Steven, don't stray too far from the original, just do what you need to put your own twist on it, if you start getting all modal and techie in an Eagles song, most Eagles fans are probably gonna screw up their nose and call you a wanker. When you're doing a cover, people want it to sound familiar, but not a direct rip-off.

If you're worried about the length of the solo, just remember to build it up, start off with longger held notes, some bends, slower phrases, then with each progression, get a little busier and don't blow the full bag of tricks till the very end. That was the advice my old teacher gave me before my first school concert thingy (was doing a similar thing to you but with "Bl;ack Magic Woman" by Santana) and it worked a treat. Also, don't do anything on stage that you're not 100% confident you can pull off. A lightning fast, technical flurry with even a small screw-up will never sound as impressive as a simpler phrase executed perfectly. Don't worry about trying to show off, just focus on playing smooth and relaxed.

Hope at least some of that was helpful man and all the best!

P.S. Got a quiet laugh out of the fact that you spelled grammar incorrectly in your apology for any bad spelling or grammar. I'm not having a dig at you, I just enjoyed the appropriateness.

thanks alot man,appreciate everyones advice.only thing im still worried about now is my tone but other then that cool,think that answered my question.....i actually recorded a practice solo and i figured out what i was doing wrong.full bag of tricks thru the entire song.....ha,decided to slow everything down and only have one tapping section at the end.ima try and record the show. i feel better now.

feel free to laugh at my stupidity sometimes/spelling. it happens alot and im use to it.
I agree with Steven. Listen to the solo and kinda rework it. But leave in little pieces of it so that the listeners will hear familiar pieces. As for being nervous, on my first gig I was so nervous I started playing before my teacher plugged in his guitar! False start.... Lol. Don't worry about it. Your first gig is not supposed to be your best ever if you continue gigging which I'm sure you will. Make sure you have fun. Bring extras of everything such as picks, cables ect. I've done a few gigs and scrambling around for a pick 5 minutes before showtime is not fun, believe me. And please please get new strings. Not only will it help your performance but also it will lessen the risk of breaking strings. Change your strings about a day before the gig and play for a bit so the strings are loosened up. I played onstage once and snapped my D string in the middle of the solo. The band had to stop and I had to scramble for my backup guitar. It's funny now but I was horrified at the moment. Lol enjoy the gig and tell us how it went!!
got done with the show this morning.....man that was weird.

1st my guitar teacher bent a 9 volt battery with his bare hand by accident (allmost immpossible to fit in my pedal.caused for a like 3 minute delay of the show starting)
then getting my volume right messed up the first solo pretty bad (but tone was surprisingly good connecting that pedal straight to p.a. system...no more guitar amps for me,that gave awsome tone)

as for playing.i did manage a sloppy solo nothing like i rehersed with him (originally i ended the song with a solo,for some reason during the song he though it was a good idea for me to do a solo after first verse.and over totally different chords) so that explains as to why it sounded so sloppy danget....and you dont even want to know what he did on the other songs,lol.i couldnt play crap over those.

as for tips.....besides the fact that alot of people got up and left after i started playing.....it went ok,glad its over.and it really wasnt nearly as tough being up ther as i thought it would be,i was more nervous the day before then i was actually playing. so thanks for the tips guys.yall did help.im gonna do it again,and this time ill be prepared for anything!!!!
Dude, don't worry, it happens . I've done my share of sloppy solos. The importan thing is that you've learned from it. People still get up and leave at my concerts, even the ones that get the best response and reviews. In the middle of a song one time my band was rocking it out, the crowd was screaming, girls and guys alike came to us afterwords telling us how much we rocked. But yet when I looked up I could see people leaving while we were playin. Now that you've had your first public performance, here's a tip: every gig, every cd, every song, YOU must be the person at the end of the night who is pleased with your performance. If everyone tells you it was horrible but your heart tells you it was the best night of your life that's fine. Just be sure to pay attention to the constructive criticism.
Plugging a pedal straight into the PA will sound like shite, don't do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Plugging a pedal straight into the PA will sound like shite, don't do it.

little late for that tip, and due to the sound i had on stage/recording from concert.....it was excellent,i tried like 10 different pedals at the store thru a pa and it sounded horrible,until i tried the power stack st-2 wich sounded like a real amp.

so thanks your your opinion anyway.