I absolutely LOVE the les paul shape, and I feel like it's the most comfortable shape for me.

But the majority of them are really heavy, so i'm looking for a chambered/lightweight version of a les paul.

Obviously with my budget I won't be going for Gibsons, but are there any Epiphones/Les Paul copies that are in my budget and lightweight?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
You can definitely get a Gibson in that price range. The Studio or Studio Mahogany have been chambered for the last few years, and used ones are in your price range. There's a 'scratch and dent' LP Studio Mahogany at my local guitar center that sounds great and is marked down to $579. If you really want something new, the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II and III are chambered.
A brand new 60 Studio Tribute is around $849 so if you can get a used one it'd be within your budget, they are chambered. The STudio Faded series are around that price as well and are also chambered.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
A brand new 60 Studio Tribute is around $849 so if you can get a used one it'd be within your budget, they are chambered. The STudio Faded series are around that price as well and are also chambered.

This, because P-90's are just amazing.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I really like the Epiphone Ultra ll myself. that would get my vote. really nice guitars and pretty light (compared to other LPs)
Quote by shecter guy
I really like the Epiphone Ultra ll myself. that would get my vote. really nice guitars and pretty light (compared to other LPs)

Those are the ones with the option of "acousticy" pickups right?

How do those sound?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
yeah, they come equipped with Nanomag pickups as well as your two standard humbuckers. Well, i've only got to test them a couple times so maybe i wouldn't have the best input on sound. Youtube can be infinitely helpful if you find the right demos though :P
just because they are chambered doesn't mean they are lightweight.

they'll be between 8 and 10 pounds.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
just because they are chambered doesn't mean they are lightweight.

they'll be between 8 and 10 pounds.

well lightER weight, compared to a regular, unchambered Les Paul.

I once played a les paul copy (it was an agile) that was over 11 pounds! That thing was a beast.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Yamaha made an excellent version of the Les Paul back in the 80's, you can usually find them in pawn shops for around $400-$500. I played one, it was pretty light for mahogany, and had some pretty decent stock pickups, and played like a dream.
For the price, these are pretty good. Our guitar player bought one for a beater instead of his old LP. Sounds killer too.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-585-Chambered-Mahogany-Solid-Body-Gloss-Black-_p_1176.html
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by Ragu35

I once played a les paul copy (it was an agile) that was over 11 pounds! That thing was a beast.
Some of the lightest guitars around are solid Les Pauls. If you get a really nice 1-piece mahogany back, that will weigh not much more than a normal Strat or Tele. Once you add on the maple top and the hardware obviously that adds a little extra weight too but that's the same with any guitar. Chambering does not guarantee that the guitar will be light or even lighter than a solid model. It just means it will be lighter than that particular guitar would have been if it was solid. Wood varies a lot.

In fact 11 pounds isn't even that heavy for a modern solid LP. Some get up to 13, 14 pounds if it's crap mahogany with some shitty multiply construction. It's for this reason that I won't touch the regular MIM Fenders. 7 to 11-piece bodies? Might as well be carrying a slab of granite on your back.

OP, your best bet is an Epiphone LP Ultra. Those aren't just chambered like the modern Gibsons, they're almost totally hollow. They have a contour cut out the back too which also takes a little weight off. That's the only Les Paul around that you can be sure will be lighter than most others. Unless you were to buy one of the top Gibsons that still use one-piece light mahogany bodies. Those cost thousands though. Whatever you buy you should still try it out first. If weight concerns you then absolutely do not buy a guitar online. Things like this need to be tested in person because even if you got a totally hollow guitar the weight can still vary a lot.
Just to add my two cents I've got the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II and couldn't be happier with it. I love the finish and the tones you can get from it. Plus the nanomag acoustic pickup thing makes it so versatile. I'd definately recommend it
Quote by Ragu35
Those are the ones with the option of "acousticy" pickups right?

How do those sound?

it works pretty well in my opinion. i've been tempted a few times by this little feature and tbh, it's pretty awesome.

i believe ibanez now has a model that uses piezos (also achieves an acoustic-y tone) you may want to consider as well.

but you can add a piezo bridge to most guitars and get the same effect. LR Baggs makes replacement bridges for strats and i believe LP style bridges that have the piezo pick ups and it retails for about $150. that system also works very well. (i believe PRS and Ibanez use different versions based on that LR Baggs system).
Quote by grohl1987
Some of the lightest guitars around are solid Les Pauls. If you get a really nice 1-piece mahogany back, that will weigh not much more than a normal Strat or Tele. Once you add on the maple top and the hardware obviously that adds a little extra weight too but that's the same with any guitar. Chambering does not guarantee that the guitar will be light or even lighter than a solid model. It just means it will be lighter than that particular guitar would have been if it was solid. Wood varies a lot.

In fact 11 pounds isn't even that heavy for a modern solid LP. Some get up to 13, 14 pounds if it's crap mahogany with some shitty multiply construction. It's for this reason that I won't touch the regular MIM Fenders. 7 to 11-piece bodies? Might as well be carrying a slab of granite on your back.

OP, your best bet is an Epiphone LP Ultra. Those aren't just chambered like the modern Gibsons, they're almost totally hollow. They have a contour cut out the back too which also takes a little weight off. That's the only Les Paul around that you can be sure will be lighter than most others. Unless you were to buy one of the top Gibsons that still use one-piece light mahogany bodies. Those cost thousands though. Whatever you buy you should still try it out first. If weight concerns you then absolutely do not buy a guitar online. Things like this need to be tested in person because even if you got a totally hollow guitar the weight can still vary a lot.

Holy crap...

My heaviest guitar is about 7 lbs. and my lightest is about 5.5 lbs.

And i'll look into the Ultra II. The nanomag pickups are attracting me, and the fact that it's lighter than most les pauls is a deal maker.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
The Gibson weights being bandied about here aren't correct. A modern Les Paul (weight relieved not chambered ie Traditional is 9-10Lbs) Chambered Standards are less than 8 lbs easy as are the other USA chambered models. Re-Issues go from the light 8lb to 9-1/2lbs.
The 12-14 lb models were the Norlin are LPs, whihc is what led to weight relief and finally chambering in the first place.
Moving on.....
light-weight and LP aren't really the sort of things that tend to go hand in hand (my epi clocks in at 10lbs). most of the chambered LP's aren't really significantly lighter than the true solid ones (the reason for this was mentioned above), and epiphones, which are more in your budget, vary wildly (my brothers LP, same year as mine, is 2 lbs heavierm!!!).

I would go grab a bunch of Epi LP standards (save the cost over a fancy one and pop in some better pickups!) and gibson studio's and just find a physically light one. otherwise, check out the ESP EC-401 (or EC-1000 if you love abalone). because they are significantly thinner and more contoured, the ESP's/LTD's tend to be alot lighter than gibson/epi LP shapes (my esp weighs just over 7 lbs- and it sustains like nothing else!)
i have one supposidly chambered Studio LP (it was the origional satin ebony run, that are different than the satin ebony ones now) has a three piece back, weighs in at 14 lbs. this is a 2008 model.

i have a strat that is heavier than any of my othe guitars. the thing is a rock. i gotta weigh that one in again, as i dont remember how much it weighed.

if you are looking for a light gibson, SG's are light as hell. i have two of them with a single piece body, beauitiful, i would guess 6-7lbs but thats just a guess.

it really depends on the guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I was just gifted a Melody maker (which I still haven't made an NGD for ) and I swear to god I don't feel it on my shoulder.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Ragu35

just a note....most if not all new les pauls are chambered or weight releived. agile is different. so on that note......

enjoy your search
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED