Hey All,
My son is playing guitar, and wants to start mixing things up. I know nothing about guitars, but I have a good electronics background. He has some pickups he want to change out, and I've got a question:

The new pickups all look identical to each other. I understand how the current pickups are wired to the selector switch, but does it matter which pickup goes where, as long as the spacing between the pickup a strings is maintained.

Sorry for such a newbie question,
M100C
Yes, you nee to check the wiring colour codes for the different manufacturers. Easily available on google.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ok a couple things we need to know to help

#1 what kind of pickups are they ? (passive, active, brand, model?) im sure if u ask ur son he will most probably know

#2 Does he know which pickup goes in the bridge and neck position? it does matter because most pickups that come in sets are designed for a specific position.

#3 spacing between the strings and pickups is something that can be adjusted AFTER installation so dont go by that to tell u where the pickup goes
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Let us know which pickups they are. If you don't know if they're active or passive or bridge/neck we can probably tell you once we know brand and model. If you're switching passive (needs no battery) to passive or active (needs a battery) to active, then it's as simple as removing the pickups and connecting the new ones exactly as the old ones are connected. If not, then it brings in a lot more complications.
I think you are asking if it matters which pickup is in which spot?

Depending on the pickups it can matter at the manufacturer makes them for the neck, bridge or middle depending on configuration.

Let us know what type of pickups you have so we can help.
Even if they look identical, they can have different inductance hence giving different output. Guitar will have more string vibration, or output, near the center of the strings and less further away from te center. That's why u want a hotter pickup in the bridge position (farthest from the center) so the outputs are balanced. Some pickups do come in same windings, but usually, there are still a designated position for each pickup.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yes it does matter which pickup goes where, unless you bought 2 of the same pickups? Let us know
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
looks like the white leads are the ones that are going into the bridge and middle position and yellow lead in the neck?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
yellow should be for the reverse wound reverse polarity middle pickup. white ones should be the neck and bridge pickups. what you can do is measure the DC resistance across them, the one with more resistance should come to the bridge. however, this could be one of those noiseless stacked single coils things. if so, the yellow might be hotter for the bridge, and whites are the same; going into neck and middle.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard