Hey all! I'm a guitar player obviously and I am working on my scales and using them to help improvise solos. However, I find that there are times that I usually always throw in one or two licks that I've used several times before. This is fine for one song but then if I'm playing a set and every solo starts off with the same lick that's a problem. I've talked to some other guitarists and they tell me the only way to get rid of those reflexes to play those licks is to stop practicing scales for a while and come back with a clear mind. However, does anyone know of a way to get rid of this reflex without having to stop practicing scales? Thanks and sorry if my wording is a bit odd....
Last edited by FenderMayer at Sep 14, 2011,
Uh, learn new licks to use. Either use your imagination or listen to how your influences would approach each given song.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Stopping playing certain licks by stopping practising scales is nonsense. The only way to stop using those licks is to just stop using them, getting some new licks will probably help you with that.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Stop playing and start listening. You're just letting your fingers run over the strings without thinking about what you're doing.

Stop playing and just listen to the backing, think about the sound you want and how to get there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Stop playing and start listening. You're just letting your fingers run over the strings without thinking about what you're doing.

Stop playing and just listen to the backing, think about the sound you want and how to get there.

Thanks for this tip! You are absolutely right. I find that when I apply myself to the music and get involved emotionally it doesn't feel like my fingers are just running over the strings. It more feels like I'm in sync with the music. I'm coming out of a phase where I was taught that the amount of notes played is more important than actual melodic structure. I'm starting to try to analyze my bandmates as they play and find something that matches them. Thanks!
what the guy said above me think how your inspirations would approach dont be afraid to improv YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES, thats only the nature of playing guitar.

When im improving i always think how marty friedman and steve vai would approach it ( in terms of note choice scale pattern, what mode, etc...) i dont just use basic licks thats ive always known.

only if your trying to impress people because chances are you can probably play those the fastest *wink* *wink*
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100