Hey so, i was thinking about buying an american standard stratocaster. then i started to wonder if it would be more worth while to mod my mexi strat that i love. its beaten up like hell, looks like the white road worn stratocaster but it has a maple neck. i think its a 2007 model atleast that was the year i bought it

i know nothing about modding, but so far here is my plan:

neck: from warmoth
Specifications
Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage Modern
Scale: 25-1/2 in.
Neck Wood:
$157.00 USD

Shaft Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood

Orientation: Right Handed Reverse
+ $0.00
Nut Width: 1 11/16"
+ $0.00
Back Shape: Standard thin
+ $0.00
Radius: 10-16" compound
+ $0.00
# of Frets: 22
+ $0.00
Fret Size: SS6105 (Stainless)
+ $20.00
Tuner Ream: Planet Waves(13/32")
+ $0.00
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
+ $0.00
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
+ $30.00
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
+ $0.00
Finish: Vint Tint Satin Nitro
+ $95.00
Price: $302.00

the other parts i was thinking of guitar from specialty guitars:

pick ups: Fender Original 57/62 Strat Pickups, set of 3 160$

bridge: Callaham Vintage S-Model Strat® Bridge Assembly 135$

The finest nickel vintage style bridge available today.

Callaham enhanced vintage block
Choice of 64, Gilmour or Fender-length virtual pop-in stainless steel tremolo arm with mint green or parchment white tip (left hand only available with 64 arm)
Vintage styled top plate
Expert plating
6 Callaham stamped steel "CG" saddles with springs
Stainless steel intonation and height adjustment screws
6 Callaham hardened steel bridge plate mounting screws
5 springs, claw with 2 stainless steel screws
allen wrench
2-7/32 string spacing

wiring: Premium Electronics Upgrade Kit for Stratocaster® 50$

tuners: Fender® Locking Tuners, Chrome Plated (Shiny Chrome), set of 6 66$

so these are the parts i was looking at adding to my strat.

Again, my i love my strat as it was my first guitar. i would just like opinions on if this is worth it (about 700-800$ on parts) vs buying an american standard stratocaster

thanks and cheers!
Strat, Les Paul

Big Muff, Ibz Wh 10, BossCS 3, Boss DS 2, Binyang fl-8, Binyang Ch-8, MXR micro amp, MXR 90
Callaham bridges are awesome! Great choice. I love the CS '57/'62 set, so much better (IMO) than the "hot" ones. The SS frets should last a really long time, great choice.

My only addition: Quiet the beast and shield it! Check this out: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

BTW, what about a refinish?

Good Luck!

Quote by supersac
seems the only thing your keeping on this guitar is the body...if youre goig to do that might as well get a new guitar

That's what I was thinking. You are better off just building a whole new Warmoth guitar rather than using the body of your mexi strat. It might cost more, but you will still be able to use your older guitar.

As for mods, the mexi strats are pretty good, all I would do to them is some locking tuners (schaller tuners should be a direct replacement, anything else you might need to ream the peg holes a bit) and maybe an electronics change - new pots, new switch, new jack, new pickups. That way you will have two awesome guitars and your mexi upgrade won't break the bank either. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I agree that for the price of the upgrades, johnfr_1990 can acquire a Used American Standard and get a really nice guitar. However, the custom neck, better bridge, and superior PUs will provide better tone and playability, my opinion.

Those are on top of learning more stuff about the guitar + the satisfaction of knowing everything was assembled to your exact spec.

johnfr_1990, do it!

Yeah it sounds like you're spending a lot on modding. If I were you I'd just change the bridge pickup, like a nice Seymour Duncan humbucker (SD makes great pickups).
if you're putting the callaham into a mexican strat body, you need to get a "made in mexico upgrade" version of the callaham bridge. if you get the USA spaced ones, the tremolo screws (the 6 in-line screws) won't fit.

i would recommend just buying a body as well, a nice 2 piece alder (pretty sure every mexican strats are 4~5-piece alders) and paint it a new color.

and fender locking tuners?? no way! get some kluson style ones from gotoh! and dont forget a string tree, unless you get a compensated tuner like on the EJ strats.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Agreed with the vintage-style tuners + string trees and Ash body.

Also, check out USACG and Musikraft for the Ash body!

Here's my MIK Squier ProTone (Ash body) upgraded with vintage Fender bridge SC and Gibson P90 neck PUs. Yes, it's already a collectible; but, it was worth it.

Here's my strat then! Warmoth ash body I painted, musikraft soft-v flame maple neck, vintage style tuners, rockmonkey guitar pickups!

Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha ya, i got real lucky with the flame. the back is even BETTER.

i only paid for the "regular" flame. i've seen people pay the same as me and barely get any flame.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Da back.

And that was obtained for only paying $35 extra over a "regular" maple neck.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
to mod a mexi strat do this.

1. brass tremolo block
2. graph tech nut
3. steel roller saddles
4. wiring kit (with nice cloth wiring and good pots and caps)
5. different pickups. like railbuckers or some such.

the first 3 will cost like 80 bucks and will make your strat sing so much better. the wiring kit will help the tone and remove some sterilness out of your tone.
and the last one... is self explanatory.

the brass block has more mass, which means a bigger tone, its sustains more, and it won't sound as thin.

the nut will emphasize some of the overtones and harmonics that plastic absorbs (since plastic is not good for transferring soundwaves). it won't make it brighter, it will give more clarity to the muddy bottom end, and bring out hidden overtones which is always good.

the steel roller saddles not only have more mass (which means slightly more sustain), but the fact that it has roller bearings means that it won't go so much out of tune when you whammy, and that it also will help reduce excess string wear/breakage.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 15, 2011,
hey, thanks for all the info guys.

so i was hoping about spending a grand or so in all. so im atm leaning towards getting an americ stnd strat and doing a few modifcations on my mexi, prob similar as to what 00_hns_00 stated.

should i quiet the american standard as well?
Strat, Les Paul

Big Muff, Ibz Wh 10, BossCS 3, Boss DS 2, Binyang fl-8, Binyang Ch-8, MXR micro amp, MXR 90
it depends on what you want to do financially. buying a new american standard will cost you around 1k bucks, and to be honest, modding a mim like i posted above would get your mim sounding better than a stock american standard really.
ok, how do you all think of this plan then.

I buy the American Standard. then can the neck i mentioned above. slap it on my american standard, and slap the american neck onto my mexi. then change the wiring on my mexi, tremolo and pick ups.?

cost me a little more. but i really do want that neck.

plausible enough?
Strat, Les Paul

it's not plausible, it's a valid option. at the end, you'll have three necks, two bodies, three sets of wiring, three sets of pickups, and three sets of tremolo, but two bodies.

i'd say you should just just assemble your dream strat and call it a day. it'd be around $1.2k probs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by johnfr_1990
ok, how do you all think of this plan then.

I buy the American Standard. then can the neck i mentioned above. slap it on my american standard, and slap the american neck onto my mexi. then change the wiring on my mexi, tremolo and pick ups.?

cost me a little more. but i really do want that neck.

plausible enough?

going by that sound, i'm just going to tell you to build a warmoth strat from the ground up.

oh yeah, and don't do the typical strat combo either, mix it up you know, walnut body, flamed maple neck, ebony board.

something that'll make people go, "jizzed"