I have a Canon MP990 and it's a piece of shit. I've printed like 3 pages and it's claiming it's out of ink. As if that isn't bad enough, you can't use it as a photocopier or a scanner if it's out of ink. The ink is almost as expensive as the printer itself, so just getting more is not an option.

I suppose I'm kinda coming to you guys for help. I really need to use the scanner, and after a lot of googling all I've found out is that either only a couple of people have bothered complaining about this cash grab disguised as a design flaw, and none of them have actually found a solution, or Canon are hunting down and eliminating the protesters and cleaning their tracks.

Has anybody here got this printer? Ever experienced the same problem?

Also, this is relevant; http://www.cracked.com/article_19022_5-ways-hi-tech-retailers-are-secretly-screwing-you.html
I have a Steelseries printer.

It's an HP printer that I put a Steelseries sticker on

I want a gaming printer...
No, u probably dont know how to use a printer. go read the instruction manual
Its not true...
I have a Canon printer and it's very great. It took six months for me to run out of ink. I'm out of ink now and can still use the scanner.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Multifunctions are pretty much the same in that regard mate. If it's out of ink it'll pretty much sit there til you fill her back up again. You've actually got a decent quality printer there (as far as home use goes anyway) and the first cartridges are roughly half full (I'm assuming you've just bought this machine) so three pages later without changing the quality level of the print (default is high) doesn't surprise me entirely.

If you really don't want to buy new cartridges for it, you can get the existing ones refilled which is generally a lot cheaper but if they leak it will void any warranty you have left on the machine. If of course this is an old machine and it's just dying the arse well there's even less that you can do.

Canon's are by and large pretty reliable though dude. So I probably wouldn't be blaming them too much. The reason why printers are so goddamn cheap now is because ink is so expensive. A lovely ploy that's been working wonders for years now.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
All those stupid printers that require special drivers are a NoNo to me. Especially Canon.

HP and other brands have lots of printers that work on any operating system because they use the standards. These that do are of better quality as well most of the time.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
i have a canon mp550. i swear it uses half a cartridge on each colour page. no joke, the pages come out dripping.
Why would you buy a Canon printer unless you wanted to print glossy photos?

edit: This is like all those idiots who buy Macbooks, thinking they're computers until they realize it's actually a Chinese baby with cooking instructions.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by mike_anderson25
Multifunctions are pretty much the same in that regard mate. If it's out of ink it'll pretty much sit there til you fill her back up again. You've actually got a decent quality printer there (as far as home use goes anyway) and the first cartridges are roughly half full (I'm assuming you've just bought this machine) so three pages later without changing the quality level of the print (default is high) doesn't surprise me entirely.

If you really don't want to buy new cartridges for it, you can get the existing ones refilled which is generally a lot cheaper but if they leak it will void any warranty you have left on the machine. If of course this is an old machine and it's just dying the arse well there's even less that you can do.

Canon's are by and large pretty reliable though dude. So I probably wouldn't be blaming them too much. The reason why printers are so goddamn cheap now is because ink is so expensive. A lovely ploy that's been working wonders for years now.

Thanks for a serious answer. It's not actually that new. It doesn't even say the ink is 'out of date' it specifies that it's run out even though there's definitely some in there.

Fucking planned obsolescence.

Quote by !SOAD!
No, u probably dont know how to use a printer. go read the instruction manual

lolno
Does your ink cartridge have a small hole with a button inside of it? If you can press that button with a paperclip, you can make the cartridge tell the printer there's still ink left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQ1FQ68lU8
Last edited by Deplorable at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by Firenze

edit: This is like all those idiots who buy Macbooks, thinking they're computers until they realize it's actually a Chinese baby with cooking instructions.

wat
Watch and be enlightened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGtucrJ8hM
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
I have a cannon. I don't use it for printing though.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I have a Canon WiFi printer that works flawlessly. Also, buy 3rd party ink on Amazon, so much cheaper.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I have a Canon WiFi printer that works flawlessly. Also, buy 3rd party ink on Amazon, so much cheaper.

Exactly what I was going to say. I have a MX860 and I get ink cartridges for less than two dollars each off Amazon. No problems.
i have a dell 2000cn and it stopped working about 3 months ago. i used it for 3 years with no changing or anything. it's a laser printer and i love him to bits.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by laid-to-waste
i have a dell 2000cn and it stopped working about 3 months ago. i used it for 3 years with no changing or anything. it's a laser printer and i love him to bits.

People personify printers now? What's his name?

OT: I use a HP. It's okay. Nothing special.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I know what you mean. I have a canon, too, and whenever mine stops working I can usually use www.olololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol.xxx to get it working again.
who the hell buys printers. you need an amp
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Butt Rayge

I figured it out everybody. I did even more googling and read instruction from another printer. I had to hold one of the buttons down for like 20 seconds. Who would've thought?

i would have guessed that the printer just didn't work because you're on the wrong side of the world and i would have suggested to try turning it upside down (which is really not upside down).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i would have guessed that the printer just didn't work because you're on the wrong side of the world and i would have suggested to try turning it upside down (which is really not upside down).

He's lived with it his entire life, as if he'd have to be told.
First thing I tried.

Normally when I can't figure out how to get the beer out of the bottle and into my belly, I just turn it upside down. I figure the same logic applies everywhere.
I have had Canon printer and am very happy with my purchase. In my opinion the best printer available. Take care of your stuff, Ts.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.