Ive been playing classical guitar for many years. I recently bought a new steel string acoustic and im loving it. The only problem I seem to be encountering is my nails either keep snapping or filling down when I either pick or strum.

I was looking into finger picks, but id rather not... Are there any good nail strengtheners you guys swear by?

Thanks!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
i'm actually interested to hear opinions as well. my nails are weak as shit. i use nail hardener, but it really doesn't do anything other than peel off after a couple of days.
Sally's hard as nails is kind of a standard but IF POSSIBLE there isstuff in the same section of the store with a cross on it. I can't remember the name but it supposed to be vitamins for your nails that goes on like nail polish. There is a bottle with a yellow cross, one with a red cross, and I think one with a blue cross. They each do different things for your nails but you have to keep using them for a few months for you to actually see a difference.
I oil my nails about 3 times a day whenever I'm sitting and reading or watching the TV.

Your nails are made up as the same stuff as your hair, so like your hair they can get dry and brittle. You wash your hands many times a day, and imagine if your hair got washed 8 times a day with shampoo it would be dry and weak. So do your nails.

I put on some sunflower oil all over the whole nail and underneath them (if they're long enough) and it really helps. They don't get half as much as worn down or broken as they used to.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
Update on my Oiling my nails:

They're Ok for doing maybe half an hour a day, but I sat and wrote a whole new song from start to finish and practiced it a lot. This meant that the same part of the nail was hit a lot so it has worn down, unfortunately. So oil does help but not enough.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
True - the steel is a workout on the nails. I tried acrylics and nylon (done at the salon by a group of very curious ladies - that was kind of funny), and although they were rock hard, barely wearing down while playing on heavy electric and acoustic strings (up to 13's), my classical tone suffered immensely, because the attack area was to big/wide and my tone was "clicky", for lack of a better word.

After trying various hardeners from the local pharmacy, the best I've found is Sally Hansen's "Triple Strong". If you apply a layer once every third day for a couple of weeks, it totally provides enough strength for playing steel-string. The downside is that on the first day afterwards you have to take it a bit easy on them, but after about 3 days, they're pretty hard.

Cheers.

http://pages.videotron.com/swguitar
they sell nail harder in most cvs or right aid type stores. make sure you get clear.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
I play nylon strings, so I'm not sure if they're strong enough for steel strings.
But I used garlic 2x a day for a month and now my nails are tough as hell.
Quote by videlchi
I play nylon strings, so I'm not sure if they're strong enough for steel strings.
But I used garlic 2x a day for a month and now my nails are tough as hell.

What do you do with it? Eat it, or rub it on your nails?