A day early, due to complications. Apologies. Said Id pick a band that used to get shitloads of discussion round these parts. Nostalgia and all that. Cover is NSFW, so just google it.

Akercocke – Rape of The Bastard Nazarene

‘Original death metal’. The beauty of this phrase lies in its duality. For some less-informed chaps and chapettes dipping their toes in the vast ocean that is heavy metal, Im sure this statement has a certain oxymoronic quality associated with it. For those of feeling suffocated beneath its oft-stagnant surface, it may pose as a source of our much-needed fresh air.

While Rape.. was not the first death metal album to blend in non-metal influences by any means, it was and still is the best example of doing it successfully. After the declaration, ‘Hell’ opens up proceedings with a nauseating cacophony somehow masquerading as a death metal track. Utterly perverse, it serves as the perfect opening ceremony for the proclamation of blasphemy and anti-religious fervour that seep through the album’s cracks and dimly-lit passageways. Jarring riffs carrying the soul of Voivod blend with the power of crushing death metal, while the influence of early darkwave and deathrock rear their heads every so often, to brilliant effect.

Although I do indeed share the Akercocke members’ passion for naked women, the context of the artwork does not make sense until the lyrics sheet is investigated, and followed throughout the album. They reek of pure blasphemous sleaze and excess, akin to spoils of dirty priests, with concubines at their beckoned call...they evoke the spirit and cast shadows of old perverted horror films and religious dogma all at once. The ever-shifting vocal styles of Mendonca, as well as the guest female vocals and various distant screams meld together in a way that no other album, including the remainder of Akercockes catalogue, come close to achieving.

Their following album, The Goat of Mendes is undoubtedly their best work, incorporating more black metal into their sound, as well as more complete tracks – but this album sticks out as an darkly perfect example of a band willing to go beyond merely testing the water of experimentation, and decided to simply live by ‘do what thou wilt’ in their recording and writing. Recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcVj1ymlUug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXB7QPOGowc&feature=related
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
i'm not familiar with akercocke at all (i know, i know) but that review was mysterious enough to persuade me to listen to the tracks (which were incidentally good enough to prompt me to intend to check out more of their catalogue.) so i suppose that's how these reviews ought to work; say just enough to make people listen, and then they will discuss.
kudos

edit - and i suppose what i'll say about the album is that i really dig their mix/ production style in that the guitars are not at all overbearing, the bass is present, the vocals are clear, pronounced, and in your face, and the drums are basically tying everything together in some way. very open, airy mix. that said, the drum tone left a bit to be desired, but works well with the somewhat understated guitar. guitar tone itself was excellent, and the bass reminds me of a somewhat toned down (in a good way) cryptopsy. all the weird samples/ extra vocals are bad ass as well. the way this was all produced and mixed really adds a lot to the overall impression of the tracks and suits whats being played perfectly.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Last edited by ambivalent615 at Sep 15, 2011,
Glad you enjoyed it.. Definitely one of those albums where awkward production suits it, even if the drums dont showcase gray's skill that much..
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
yeah, that was kind of the other issue, was how simple the patterns generally were, but they never overshadow anything else, so that's nice. good to hear something so odd musically that just has fairly standard drumming. like ulcerate without all the overdone hyperblasts and what not (except not like ulcerate.) when was this released?
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
I remember them...

Eventually the newer records seem to demote the experimentation to a gimmick of sorts, shame since they had a decent thing going.

I will say that I agree that Goat of Mendes trumps this one in every way, but why did you settle with Rape instead?

I think I may have to listen to Horns of Baphomet now...I can hear it calling, I can hear it calling me.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
^ Aaron stated the reasons why; He's just explaining that although Goat is the better album, but Rape is not to be forgotten as it's still a masterful album.

and on that note...

dun..dun dun dun duuunnn...dun dun dun dunnnn...

BAAAPPPHHHOOOOMEEEEETTTTTTT

Excellent review Aaron, although having already heard the album, it's still a nice reminder to listen to what you love.
I suppose. If we were trying to introduce neophytes to them though, the correct place to start would definitely be Goat.

But yeah, this album occasionally draws a listen from me, it actually stands up better than I remember it really.
HESSIAN HAREM
I've only heard two of their albums, I think antichrist, and words that go unspoken or whatever. If I didn't like either, is this different enough to still be worth checking out?
Yes. As I previously stated, it has less electronic / dark wave bits as gimmicks and more as integral experimental pieces. The death metal pieces are more numerous and inspired, and the sound is much more perverse and dirty.

This record and the sophomore album "Goat of Mendes" would be the highlights of the band's career, and are fairly solid / enjoyable. Especially Goat
HESSIAN HAREM
This album is pure filth, love it. I do have to say I prefer Goat of Mendes as well but god damn this album slays. Love the mixing, it does somehow work so well.

btw, could you post back up the list of people up next ? thanks
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
donde esta lista senor ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
September 23 - ctfod
September 30 - duncang
October 7 - AnnihiSlateR
October 14 - Nihiliste
October 21 - VampireGoldfish
October 28 - illuminatiano
November 4 - severed-metal
November 11 - dillonrips7
November 18 - Chopped_In_Half
November 25 - MoogleRancha
December 2 - progbass

Good review by the way Strangles, I love that album.
Sorry man, forgot to stick that up! Cheers man. Looking forward to the rest of the reviews.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested