Hey guys, I've been asking a lot lately, because I'm trying to learn the magic misteries of recording.
May I shoot some questions?

My current gear:

Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Acoustic Guitar
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DD7
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
High End Computer (Audacity & CUBASE LE)
Netbook

1) I want to record my jams, and some tunes that I have, and I believe that with the gear that I have I may be able to do so. But, I always read things like "Guitar Rig" or "guitar processor", what are those?
2) Lets say I want to record my vocals. But I also want to add some effects, like for example, Reverb or Distorted, or Robotic or that voice effect that Green day uses in the interlude of American Idiot (like the voice is from a radio or something like that). How do I do that?
3) I dont have a Bass guitar, and tough I would love to get one, it's not in my current budget. So, how could I emulate that bass through my guitar? I believe that here enters the Guitar rig soft that I mentioned earlier?
4) Which software could I use to create drum beats, that doesn't sound midi like? I mean, is there a software that I could design a pattern, and then it plays but with real drum sound? And could i have each drum in a separate track so that i could EQ it accordingly?
5) Whats a PreAmp, and what is it purpose?

I know I bombarded you with questions, I would be so grateful if you could give me a hand here.

Thanks for your time reading this!

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
I will only answer one question because there are to many and I don't have time but you get use effects on your vocals even on audacity. I don't remember how so just look around on audacity until you find it. It's somewhere on the top of the tool menu or something.
Quote by itamar101
I will only answer one question because there are to many and I don't have time but you get use effects on your vocals even on audacity. I don't remember how so just look around on audacity until you find it. It's somewhere on the top of the tool menu or something.

Thanks, will look onto that.

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
Quote by NakedInTheRain
speak like yoda, you do.

take a read through this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040264

Hey man, thanks for the topic, but there are several questions that remain un answered...
Please someone?

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
First of all you will need a midi interface, but the TASCAM has got that covered.
You plug your mic or guitar straight into the midi interface, open a program that supports your kind of interface so use cubecase and you should be able to record.

2) I literally don't know anything about singing effects so I have no clue

3) U can emulate a bass if U use an octave pedal (if you have that digital effect available in your prog). That's the way I do my recordings and it almost sounds the same as a bass.

4) I use the ultrabeat tool to create drum patterns that sound really good, I don't know if you could download it, cause it's a plug-in from the apple program Logic Express, so maybe download that.

Hope that helped
Quote by blazing riff
First of all you will need a midi interface, but the TASCAM has got that covered.
You plug your mic or guitar straight into the midi interface, open a program that supports your kind of interface so use cubecase and you should be able to record.

2) I literally don't know anything about singing effects so I have no clue

3) U can emulate a bass if U use an octave pedal (if you have that digital effect available in your prog). That's the way I do my recordings and it almost sounds the same as a bass.

4) I use the ultrabeat tool to create drum patterns that sound really good, I don't know if you could download it, cause it's a plug-in from the apple program Logic Express, so maybe download that.

Hope that helped

Thanks!
Regarding 3) Maybe i could somehow emulate it with software? Right?
4) I WISH I had a MAC. No chance doing that. Thanks anyway

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
Yeah sure, I use the line 6 program to emulate it so that is definitely not a problem.
4) Than you should look into fruity loops, I found that to be the best for windows, however it still not great
Quote by blazing riff
Yeah sure, I use the line 6 program to emulate it so that is definitely not a problem.
4) Than you should look into fruity loops, I found that to be the best for windows, however it still not great

Thanks! one less problem...

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
1) I want to record my jams, and some tunes that I have, and I believe that with the gear that I have I may be able to do so. But, I always read things like "Guitar Rig" or "guitar processor", what are those?

Guitar Rig are amp simulation programs. If you don't have an amp, you can use those. They generate close sounds, but amps are way better.

2) Lets say I want to record my vocals. But I also want to add some effects, like for example, Reverb or Distorted, or Robotic or that voice effect that Green day uses in the interlude of American Idiot (like the voice is from a radio or something like that). How do I do that?

It really depends on how you want the voice.
If it's a robotic effect like daft punk, you can use a Vocoder program to emulate a roboish sound.
As for reverbs, it's available in your recording software.

3) I dont have a Bass guitar, and tough I would love to get one, it's not in my current budget. So, how could I emulate that bass through my guitar? I believe that here enters the Guitar rig soft that I mentioned earlier?

You got to ask yourself, do you want the bass to just fill in the lower frequencies and give you the boom effect in the songs, or you want the bass to have a melodic role in the song ?

The first part is pretty easy to do and using even bass midi works. The second is much much harder, because you can't hide the sound anymore and the only solution is to get a real bass. I personally don't like the bass VST's they sound really horrible.

4) Which software could I use to create drum beats, that doesn't sound midi like? I mean, is there a software that I could design a pattern, and then it plays but with real drum sound? And could i have each drum in a separate track so that i could EQ it accordingly?

Search for Drum VSTi
many great programs such as Supperior 2/ Battery 3

5) Whats a PreAmp, and what is it purpose?

A preamp is something you put before the amp to process the signal.
The symphonizer
Quote by Sympho
Guitar Rig are amp simulation programs. If you don't have an amp, you can use those. They generate close sounds, but amps are way better.

It really depends on how you want the voice.
If it's a robotic effect like daft punk, you can use a Vocoder program to emulate a roboish sound.
As for reverbs, it's available in your recording software.

You got to ask yourself, do you want the bass to just fill in the lower frequencies and give you the boom effect in the songs, or you want the bass to have a melodic role in the song ?

The first part is pretty easy to do and using even bass midi works. The second is much much harder, because you can't hide the sound anymore and the only solution is to get a real bass. I personally don't like the bass VST's they sound really horrible.

Search for Drum VSTi
many great programs such as Supperior 2/ Battery 3

A preamp is something you put before the amp to process the signal.

So helpful! Thanks so much! Will look onto that.
I have an amp, but when I record, what do I need the amp for, if the sound my guitar makes goes trough the Tascam? Or am I doing something wrong?

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
Yes !

Actually, to get the sound from your amp, you have to use a mic instead, and plug that mic into your Tascam.

However if you want to plug in your guitar directly, plug it, and now you can use Guitar RIg
The symphonizer
I begin to understand...
But what's better? To record my guitar trough a mic trough my amp, or directly trough my tascam?

Thanks for being so helpful!

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
I'd say mic ! I've been struggling with amp simulation a lot lately. So I had to modify a lot to get the sound I want.

But nothing beats my amp ! And soon I'm buying a mic to start recording from my amp.

Don't get me wrong, you can get amazing sound from Amp simulations.

I just haven't figured out how yet
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by Sympho
I'd say mic ! I've been struggling with amp simulation a lot lately. So I had to modify a lot to get the sound I want.

But nothing beats my amp ! And soon I'm buying a mic to start recording from my amp.

Thanks man.

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
1. Im not familiar with your tascam, but reading a bit about it it seems like you can run two signals into it and record each separately in Audition. So I would try to split your guitar signal (I think your DD7 has two outputs?), run one into your amp set to the tone you desire and record it with your mic, and the other signal into the guitar input on the tascam so you can capture your performance both ways, and choose which you want later. The direct signal can be manipulated in the computer.

2. For vocals you should record them as you normally would and then they can be manipulated with Audition's effects. I still use Audition 1.5 because I know it in and out, I imagine 3.0 is still somewhat similar. In the "Filters" section of the "Effects" menu there are several EQ and filter options, including two in the "FFT Filter" section that simulate telephones, for example (Basically just cuts all the low end and most the high end from the signal). The Green Day song I believe is the dude shouting through a megaphone, not an effect, but this can be simulated with some tweaking in Audition. Same for distortion effects, etc. They are all present in your Audition software, play around with them and experiment. Take notes while doing so. Many times I have come up with a great sound and been unable to duplicate it.

Also, make sure you get as clean of a vocal performance as you can. The cheapest, easiest, and silliest way to do so is to put a blanket over your head/upper body when you track your vocals to cut out any room ambience, which will really mess up your sound when you try to effect it. Try not to suffocate! (I will sometimes put a blanket over my guitar amp while recording to achieve the same results, i.e. clean signal, but leave the backside open so it doesn't overheat.)

3. The bass sim is something else that could be achieved with audition, but it will most likely sound like crap and you will hate it (worth a shot if you have no other options). I would look into some guitar based software which you could also use to process your direct guitar signal from #1, guitar rig, whatever..

I used to use one of my Whammy pedals to simulate scratch bass tracks with decent results, but have several basses now so Im kinda out of touch on the topic.

4. I have always preferred stand alone drum machines so I can't help you more than you already have been. I do like Reason but it is way beyond the scope of what you need.

5. (this is very basic and simplified, keep researching on your own) As stated before, the preamp sculpts the signal and brings it to a suitable level for the next step for the signal, i.e. to be amplified with a power amp or to be recorded. Your guitar amp has a pre amp and a power amp. The pre amp has your gain, eq section, etc, which tailors the sound to your liking, then it is sent to the power amp which makes the signal loud and powers your speakers.

Other references you will come across will be for microphone preamps, which generally offer phantom power and some level of tone control, volume control, etc, that are designed to go directly into a recorder or mixing board. Again, keep reading, this is a geat site.

Good luck! Maybe keep your eyes open for a stand alone DAW. You will spend more time playing and less time fussing.
Quote by MrArarat

Just a tip, don't be turned off to MIDI. MIDI has no sound. All it is is a bunch of 1's and 0's that tell a computer to play a certain sound at a certain time for a certain duration (plus other things, but that's the basics). It couldn't care less what sound that is and if it's good or not. That means you can get it to play any sound you like. I really can't point you in the right direction as I prefer live drums, and only use Logic's drums when I'm desperate, but if you see the word MIDI somewhere, don't instantly assume it will suck.