Hey guys.

I'm looking for a guitar I can permanently tune in drop-C but am really unsure what to get. I want the tuning as stable as possible, so something with a long scale (25.5"+), and possibly a fixed bridge. $1500 max.

I play rock/metal along the lines of Opeth, Tool, Katatonia, Gordian Knot, Slipknot, etc.. Here's the list I've come up with so far, what would you go with? Any other ideas?

ESP LTD 607B
Ibanez MTM1
Ibanez RGB321
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone
Schecter Blackjack
Agile Septor Pro 627 EB
Agile AB-3500

Bring on the wisdom!
there's robb flynn love death epiphone apperently he designed it espcieally for drop tunning
Any guitar will do Drop C with the right set up. I've got my Gibson Explorer in Drop C and it sounds fine, though saying that it's a little too easy to bend the strings.

Really just find a guitar you like to play and get it set up for Drop C.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The rob flynn epiphone love death V was made with a 27" scale since he tunes to B

Any one of those guitars can handle C tuning, just go play them and see which feels best.

I'd personally go with the Agile Septor, the blackjack or the PRS.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I leave my Schecter C1HFR in Drop C or C Open all the time. Overally, it plays very nicely and stays in tune for days.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Any guitar will do Drop C with the right set up. [...]

Really just find a guitar you like to play and get it set up for Drop C.

I have to agree with this though ^^

It's a matter of preference.
You dont need a baritone to play in Drop C.

Of those guitars you listed?

The MTM1 by far and away the best guitar on the list. But also way more expensive. Have you looked at the MTM2?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
You dont need a baritone to play in Drop C.

Of those guitars you listed?

The MTM1 by far and away the best guitar on the list. But also way more expensive. Have you looked at the MTM2?

That MTM1 is a sweet guitar. I have looked at the MTM2, but I've heard that the bridge isn't that great (Edge III).

I know I don't absolutely need a baritone, but I'd like something that is made for low tuning. A ton of standard guitars can play decent in Drop-C, but the integrity of the sound and playability is affected more than I would like. The only guitar I've considered aside from baritones is the PRS SE Torero, but I'm hesitant..

I'll check out all the one's you guys suggested.
Tone and playability isn't really affected all that much from baritone in Drop C than a regular.

I'd say just go with the MTM2 And just block off the trem.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Tone and playability isn't really affected all that much from baritone in Drop C than a regular.

I'd say just go with the MTM2 And just block off the trem

I don't think it's a floating trem in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong. The price for the MTM2 is a little steep for what it is IMO.
Last edited by Kamikaze1014 at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by Kamikaze1014
I don't thing it's a floating trem in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong. The price for the MTM2 is a little steep for what it is IMO.

Fixed edge 3.

Arz800

And try the torero.

Jim root.
|
|
\/
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Sep 15, 2011,
ANY guitar can be used with Drop C. I play a modified Strat in Drop C, and it sounds heavy as fuck.
Definitely the MTM. It's the ultimate guitar for tuning stability, because of the fixed edge bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Charvel1995
James Root Tele, considered one of them? If not give it a look-see

i second this. i thought I'd hate them, but they are really quite good guitars (and, because most people think they're dumb, having not played them, shops are often hard-pressed to sell them, which means discounts)
les pauls sound great downtuned...

oh and just about any guitar with strings and working tuners will be ok, all depends on your taste from there
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
les pauls sound great downtuned...

oh and just about any guitar with strings and working tuners will be ok, all depends on your taste from there

Les Pauls do sound good downtuned, especially something with a 500t.

i have an SG in Drop B/ C#std with EMG 81's in it and its killer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Kamikaze1014
I don't thing it's a floating trem in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong. The price for the MTM2 is a little steep for what it is IMO.

My bad, I saw Edge III and instantly thought of the floyd style.
ಠ_ಠ