Hello,

I have recently found a guy online who is selling an used Jackson RR5 for 450€. It's an extremely good price because it goes for like 1200€ new. He sent me some photos and the guitar looks great, but there is a problem: it currently has no strings. The guy told me it's been without strings for a few months. I know guitar necks are supposed to have the string tension on them all the time, so I'm afraid the neck could be warped or damaged or something, and that may be the reason why he is selling it at such low price.

What would you do?
I'd buy it, I've had a few of my guitars unstrung for a coupla months, and they're all right
When things are too good to be true, they usually are. But it really depends on you, there might be other problems to it which he isn't stating or he might be honest and just wants to get rid of it.
How long the guitar has been unstrung? I'd think it takes a long time to the neck get damaged. And I'd probably buy it, altough a third of the original price is really cheap.
If you get to see the guitar yourself, you'll know immediately whether something's wrong with it.

You could also point out to the seller that the price is very low and you're wondering why. Make sure all your correspondence is in writing (email) and basically get him to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar. Find out where he lives, inspect and buy guitar if everything checks out and warn him that you'll be back if something goes wrong.

It's also worth telling him, in writing, that you'll get the guitar checked out by a pro immediately after the purchase and if something's not right you'll want restitution (within reason).

If none of that scares him off, and/or, you can spot that it's genuine then everyone's a winner.
Quote by Duv
If you get to see the guitar yourself, you'll know immediately whether something's wrong with it.

You could also point out to the seller that the price is very low and you're wondering why. Make sure all your correspondence is in writing (email) and basically get him to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar. Find out where he lives, inspect and buy guitar if everything checks out and warn him that you'll be back if something goes wrong.

It's also worth telling him, in writing, that you'll get the guitar checked out by a pro immediately after the purchase and if something's not right you'll want restitution (within reason).

If none of that scares him off, and/or, you can spot that it's genuine then everyone's a winner.
Great idea, but unfortunately he lives 500 km away.

Thanks anyway guys.
Ask him to put strings on it and check if it plays as it should.

There's nothing wrong with good offers like this as long as you use your critical sense. It's just about finding the right bargains! Except for my very first guitar which I bought new, I've never paid more than half price for a guitar/bass