First of all i'm a huge theory noob as you may have guessed by the thread title

It's not until just now that i hear a solo that inspires me to want to learn theory. I'm sure there's a lot of theory behind it and these are the kinds of solos i dream of writing in the future.
I'd have to say it's been a long time since i heard a solo i like so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyG5dhRh8RU&feature=related

Solo at 2:15
The's guys play in drop C or B. So it's just the natural minor scale of C or D. Nothing special
Quote by blazing riff
The's guys play in drop C or B. So it's just the natural minor scale of C or D. Nothing special

Drop A# for this particular song. Most their songs i'd say are now Drop A# with some Drop B.
Can someone tell how they know this?

Do you just have a feel for the interval spaces between the minor and major scale and can just say "that's an X minor scale by sound but I don't know the root note"?
It's spelled wiener.
Quote by blazing riff

Serious missed steps in your thought process there or you gave an abridged version of how you came to that conclusion.

At any rate, it sounds like B minor to me. Couldn't by chance, y'know, post a tab or...?

Edit: Or A# minor when i play a guitar that isn't tuned a half step down
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
At any rate, it sounds like B minor to me. Couldn't by chance, y'know, post a tab or...?

There you go. Played in Drop A#.
Those notes all appear to correspond to F minor, or A# minor. I'm guessing that if the rhythm is chugging open A#'s then it'll be A# minor.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Those notes all appear to correspond to F minor, or A# minor. I'm guessing that if the rhythm is chugging open A#'s then it'll be A# minor.

You know the rhythm without even looking

I really should get serious on my theory, cos that shit is wack.
Quote by vayne92
You know the rhythm without even looking

I really should get serious on my theory, cos that shit is wack.

The chugging on the open string root note is very common.

If you want some theory help, and to know how every one knew this, go here: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

Its really well written. Just go through every lesson in every section one by one, in order. Do it in random order and it wont make sense.

Enjoy.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 15, 2011,
erious missed steps in your thought process there or you gave an abridged version of how you came to that conclusion.

Edit: Or A# minor when i play a guitar that isn't tuned a half step down

Why would I missed steps? 90% of the time metalcore bands solo in the key they are playing so if they play A# minor they would defenatly use the A# natural minor. They'd never go for a major scale, that would sound to happy.
Quote by blazing riff
Why would I missed steps? 90% of the time metalcore bands solo in the key they are playing so if they play A# minor they would defenatly use the A# natural minor. They'd never go for a major scale, that would sound to happy.

The way you wrote that it seemed like a non sequitur, like you were implying that because the guitar was in drop C then the song must be C minor, which obviously isn't true (although likely the case for many songs).